Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

195/15 tyres
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted 195/15s successfully? Did you have to fit adjusters and raise the front up much?

Have used search in every combo I can think of and can’t find anything.

Not sure how your tyres/tires are sold over there so you might know them as 195R15 or 195/80/15

Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

The "wheels and tires" sticky in this forum is extensive, but solid practical knowledge. Start there. 27x8.50x14 fit just fine...but for the spare.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

It is chap. Very substantial. However, doesn’t have an answer after reading all 572 pages, hence asking on a new thread Idea

27x8.5x14 might fit just fine but different size to ones I was asking about Confused
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

I haven't successfully fitted that tire size, but using a tire size calculator one can make a good guess.

The largest size that can fit without rubbing, as Rev Scott mentioned, is 27x8.5x14. There's a little controversy there, but whatever.

If you plug that into a tire size calculator along with your 195/80r15 here's what you find out:

The 195 tire is:
0.3" taller than the 27.
0.8" narrower than the 27

That looks good, as far as it goes, but we are missing a crucial bit of information.

What is the backspace of the wheel you intend to use?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

I just put new 15" tires on my '73.
They're Vredestein Sprint Classic 185VR15 mounted on 5.5" wide wheels.
The sectional width is 7.4" x 26.5" diameter; 786 rev's per mile.

I'm very happy with them; nice fit in the wheel wells, no rubbing anywhere, the spare is a tight fit, but no contact with the lid.

Good luck, Mondshine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
I haven't successfully fitted that tire size, but using a tire size calculator one can make a good guess.

The largest size that can fit without rubbing, as Rev Scott mentioned, is 27x8.5x14. There's a little controversy there, but whatever.

If you plug that into a tire size calculator along with your 195/80r15 here's what you find out:

The 195 tire is:
0.3" taller than the 27.
0.8" narrower than the 27

That looks good, as far as it goes, but we are missing a crucial bit of information.

What is the backspace of the wheel you intend to use?

Cheers for replying chap.

Despite having no dentists over here we do have tyre size comparison calculators. Yay!!

All the threads I have read are suggesting 205/75/15 is the biggest one can go diameter , but 195/15 is obvs bigger still (although marginally) how much clearance is there? Is it to a point where we are talking tolling paper thickness?

ET15 so we need to know if it clears headlamp bucket but fouls arch, or fouls bucket and clears arch. Confused

Anything with t*ts or tyres hey?
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I just put new 15" tires on my '73.
They're Vredestein Sprint Classic 185VR15 mounted on 5.5" wide wheels.
The sectional width is 7.4" x 26.5" diameter; 786 rev's per mile.

I'm very happy with them; nice fit in the wheel wells, no rubbing anywhere, the spare is a tight fit, but no contact with the lid.

Good luck, Mondshine

To use the vernacular , that looks well lush chap.
Sprints are nice tyres but twice the price (and some) of geolanders etc and those Eastern European dancers don’t do it for free Crying or Very sad
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 195/15 tyres Reply with quote

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF wrote:

ET15 so we need to know if it clears headlamp bucket but fouls arch, or fouls bucket and clears arch. Confused

Anything with t*ts or tyres hey?

Double check this, because sometimes I'm a little fuzzy with the visualization, but:

I'm comparing to my tires (sorry, tyres), 27x8.5R14, which barely fit without rubbing. They are mounted on stock rims.

Stock rims have an ET of 32.5.
Your wheels have an ET of 15, so that should move the wheel outboard by 17.5mm or a little more than ⅝".

The width of the your proposed tires is 195mm or 7.7 inches, which moves the inner sidewall inboard by 0.8, or a little more than ¾" as compared to my tires. That would compensate for the difference in wheel offset.

Your 195's are 0.3 inches taller than my 27's. I don't think that is enough to cause rubbing on the headlight bucket or the fender.

Cheers.

A handy infographic to help you visualize:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: