Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harvest Hosts
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

Come on, you guys don't have a poop bucket?

This is pretty cool as we already like visiting wineries. Looks like there are quite a few locations in Virginia. Unfortunately, you can't actually view them without a membership.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

From years of watching Jed's CampervanCulture videos, it seems like camping on farms is more prevalent in Europe (but not standardized by an app.)

I'm sure that if you do camp at a farm, they have designated areas where you can camp so that you don't find yourself in a harmful situation. And if you have a farm and fear that a greenhorn, citified, suit-and-tied type is going to lose their arms in the blades of your combine, then I would assume that you're not participating.

I think it's a great idea for "city slickers" to experience new and unconventional places to camp. It also might open some eyes to the differences, and more importantly the lack of differences, between our divergent urban and rural cultures.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Why not drive up to the places and say, “can I camp here and buy stuff ?”

,..and give the $79 to the hosts you use rather than some coder in “ the Bay Area”
Attaboy - for once I agree with you!! Shocked Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: HipCamp Reply with quote

I havent tried this yet, but friends use this free "land-sharing" app that's like VRBO for camping on private land/farms

https://www.hipcamp.com/
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

I have contemplated this option previously as I have a colleague with a Class A motorhome that use it quite extensively. Your membership fee essentially buys you access to the list of locations across NA and yes, the expectation is that you spend some $$ at the respective winery outlets to offset the privilege of spending the night there. The 'self-contained' rule is pretty much the deal breaker for me (in a Westy) as at the very least, I would want to have access to running water and a toilet at any site I am staying at. That said, they do likely provide a safe/secure place to sleep if stealth-camping is not an option and all you wanted to do was crash for a few hours.

Of note, we were not permitted to 'sleep' at Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur, where they DO permit stays/sleeps similar to highway rest stops IF you are self contained. As we had no 'installed' toilet, we were not considered self-contained and were left to stealth camp instead. Sad
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: HipCamp Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
I havent tried this yet, but friends use this free "land-sharing" app that's like VRBO for camping on private land/farms

HipCamp is a lot better.
I used it 3 times.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

I have room on my property for a couple small campers... my top preference is for vanagon...

no behemoth campers... nope, niet, nada Very Happy

access to private bathroom, restroom, water, electricity and wifi.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: HipCamp Reply with quote

Irishcalifornian wrote:
sanchius wrote:

HipCamp is a lot better.
I used it 3 times.

cruising that site it definitely looks like some awesome options!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Why not drive up to the places and say, “can I camp here and buy stuff ?”

,..and give the $79 to the hosts you use rather than some coder in “ the Bay Area”

The $79 isn't for one night, it's a year membership. It allows you to reserve a spot and then travel there knowing you have a spot to camp.
Most famers really wouldn't want someone just showing up, nor would you likely be able to locate where they are on the property...cuz they are super busy (my wife works on two farms).

This upcoming year, it would not work for me, but if I were to travel to say north 4-6 times a year and there was a good location, I'd certainly try it.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

I'm a fan of HipCamp personally. Not into the membership idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Harvest Hosts Reply with quote

It’s a demise of social skills. I’ve asked to stay on land in foreign countries ( we were bombing them 36 months earlier) not even speaking the language of the host, via pantomime , and they want a membership to give me an address book?

Youth is wasted on the young.

- Frank Capra
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: