Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HOA sues classic car owner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Apparently, his HOA didn't like the "Patina"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nEW9YlZHU
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Simple.... move

I'd never live where there a hoa. Local town government is as bad.

The more layers the more chances you'll get screwed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Simple.... move

I'd never live where there a hoa. Local town government is as bad.

The more layers the more chances you'll get screwed.

I google searched it and it turns out that he won the case, but got banned from
using some of the facilities for 1 year. I agree though. I've hard many
horror stories about living in an HOA.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

https://www.foxnews.com/us/army-sergeant-battles-hoa-over-american-flag-display

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Federal law trumps HOA’s, lawyer up.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Looks like you are correct.
https://arizonadailyindependent.com/hoa-reverses-itself-will-allow-trump-flag/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I agree except he's a renter and the home owner stated he cannot fly it.

I'm guessing (but wondering if it's true) that the owner of the property disallowing something overrides all of that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Must be a slow news day to worry about stupid shit like these two examples. I purposely live in an rear where I can shoot a gun, piss out my back door and park broken non running VWs in my front yard. You don’t like it ? Piss off. Very Happy
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

^^^
X2
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

There are two sides to having an HOA.

They can be clueless, ignorant, power-hungry asshats who relish the fight. Like in this case.

They can also be the last protection against inconsiderate and even violent neighbors.

I've seen both sides.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
There are two sides to having an HOA.

They can be clueless, ignorant, power-hungry asshats who relish the fight. Like in this case.

They can also be the last protection against inconsiderate and even violent neighbors.

I've seen both sides.

A HOA can’t do anything about a violent neighbor & they are probably the reason the neighbor became violent.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

I've lived at both extremes...

Out in the boonies where the law is what I say it is, and we left each other alone... unless one needed help, in which case all is given to the cause... muscle, equipment, funds, anything.

We all pitched in to make a new paved Arizona crossing over the creek after a really big storm and flood.

I had a neighbor who let her goats live in her house. No skin off my nose. When her power was cut off, I let her draw from my well and tank.

It feels free, and you can do your own thing, and let others do the same.

This works well when there is space. My lot was small at 5 acres, but it was enough separation that almost no one bothered anyone else.

But...

Stuff people next to each other, and the friction starts. Rules become more important to keep the peace. Some don't like rules, and even enjoy flaunting them, some in a threatening manner.

The police don't get involved in civil matters. An HOA is the only way to keep property values up, keep neighbors from taking matters into their own hands, getting destructive... not cleaning up trash, causing pest problems, allowing drug use in their home by renters... there are horror stories about "that" neighbor that make you thankful there is, in effect, a civil authority that cares about the local community and not the next election or their police budget.

Everyone who lives a development with an HOA knew it at the time they moved, and were given a copy of the rules in escrow, by law. Changing their mind later is not an option. If they don't like it they can move.

Back to this case... the car was not "damaged," and the HOA is vastly overstepping their authority. If the guy has to sue, he should push for reimbursement of his legal bills, since the HOA is not acting within the authority granted by their founding documents. And if the HOA itself isn't enough, the individual board members can be sued, arguing they exceeded the authority of their Board duties, which the HOA won't pay for.

I wish them every success in this case!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

I had some friends that sued their HOA & won over a long going dispute over a handicap ramp.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/raleigh-...ersion=amp

I also had another friend that ousted a belligerent, abusive, & far too anal HOA president at a meeting when all of the other members voted him in.

Fuck a HOA.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

So glad NOT to be in HOA.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

When you buy a house in a community governed by HOA rules you sign a document stating you understand the rules and agree to the bylaws of the HOA.

Don't want to do that? Then don't move there.

I hate people using "freedom" as an excuse to not follow rules....especially rules you know of in advance and agree to follow.

Americans seems to be less and less following their commitments.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I hate people using "freedom" as an excuse to not follow rules....especially rules you know of in advance and agree to follow.

Some people are more concerned about their individual "rights" even if that infringes on the rights of others.

"We The People" is not "Me" the people.

Or as JFK once said "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

BTW... some people here forget this: Rules

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

Moved into a home with a Hand written HOA rules sheet. This puppy is straight from 1983 and grossly ignored but I joke about living in the fancy part of town. Tut tut!

Parents lived in a modern gated community with strict HOA though, to hell with that.. they used to walk around with a ruler to check grass height. The HOA, not my parents
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

I might have sided with the guy in the first post except that he is a flat out liar! That truck has not weathered that way, it has had bodywork started on it with the intent to repaint it and never finished. That is as plain as the nose on his face. He cannot claim it's an original weathered finish so finish the paint work and shut up! It will never, ever be an original weathered paint truck now.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
When you buy a house in a community governed by HOA rules you sign a document stating you understand the rules and agree to the bylaws of the HOA.

Don't want to do that? Then don't move there.

Americans seems to be less and less following their commitments.

100%! HOA rules are recorded in public records and even if a buyer DOESN'T sign a document acknowledging acceptance (or even knowledge) of them, they are still beholden to them if they buy or rent in the n'hood. Unless they are discriminatory or otherwise illegal, they can be for anything under the sun. In St. Petersburg, there's an HOA that is notorious for its rules such as, you cannot park a pickup or SUV in your driveway; it must be in your garage. Exception is a service vehicle making a service call. Garage doors must remain closed at all times unless someone is visibly present at the moment. You cannot park overnight on the street. In one condo, the association prohibits cars over a certain model year old, regardless of condition, to be parked in outdoor spots. They must be in a garage or kept offsite. But it's all public record and the buyer is "on notice" as a result. If a buyer is too lazy to read the rules or somehow thinks they don't apply to the buyer, lawyer up or move. If you lawyer up against some of these HOAs in the Tampa Bay area, you will lose. Too many retirees and others who have nothing else to do except be the n'hood gestapo. They have winning down to a science! In the case of the original post, I thought it was a bit of a stretch to go after that truck for the reason they did. However, if the HOA rules had verbiage about loud exhausts (as many do in Florida), then, he would have lost.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: HOA sues classic car owner Reply with quote

HOA rules are part of a private contract between property owners and HOA.
"Freedoms" or whatever word people may use for their so called "rights" have nothing to do with it. Most of those "rights" protect people from government action, not private party contracts. Yes, there are limits to what "rights" private parties can contract away but there are strict limits to that; for example you can't contract away criminal activity, etc. Courts have well defined standards for what can't be contracted away and what can be contracted away. HOA rules, in almost all cases, are established and valid private contracts.

HOA rules are published, owners are given notice and those who don't like those rules can either work to get them changed or move. HOA bylaws have a process for changing the rules.

HOA is not for everyone. That is why we have choices. I like living in a community that has an HOA. It keeps the property values up and I like nicely manicured lawns, well kept houses etc. that are required to be maintained by the HOA rules.

Different people have different priorities. Plenty of options for all to decide what suits their priorities. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for the other.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: