Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering fuel pump pressure...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Is stacking gaskets the preferred method of lowering fuel pump pressure? Has anyone experienced problems in fuel delivery at high speeds that have used this method?

My new "no name" pump is putting out over 4 lbs causing flooding after I shut off my engine. I can clearly see the fuel fill up the carb throat after I turn off my engine thus leaving me in a hard start situation...

Thanks!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

No this changes volume, I have never had any success doing this. Yet people will
say to do it any how.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Yep, volume vs pressure.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Lemons 4 Gigi wrote:
My new "no name" pump

Well there's your problem.
Thankfully there's a solution: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2320153

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Some have replaced the inside diaphragm spring:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8282753&highlight=#8282753
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

If you need to reduce pressure, you will need to use a pressure regulator. Holley 12-803 or 804, I think. They have a range of 1 - 4psi.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Fuel pump gaskets have only insignificant effect on output pressure. Adding gaskets could also reduce output volume, since they
reduce the maximum possible output stroke by the thickness of the gaskets, but maximum stroke only occurs in extreme
circumstances, such as turning engine over with starter with an empty float bowl and perhaps at very high rpm's if a large
number of them have been used.

Modifying the diaphragm spring is the most direct and effective way to affect pressure, but one might as well
just get a correctly made pump in the first place.

4 psi is well within the fuel pressure spec for the stock carb on a '71, so I do not think that is your problem.
There is no more pressure made by the pump when the engine is shut down, and it can not cause "flooding"
of the carb bowl. It sounds like you have gravity flow to the carb, due to a bad needle valve in the carb or the
lack of a fuel cutoff valve, which was stock on carbed VW beetles since the early sixties.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

We have also in warm weather had fuel drip in the carb after shut down. Added a second gasket to the float shut off valve and that solved our flooding troubles.
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Lemons 4 Gigi wrote:
My new "no name" pump

Well there's your problem.
Thankfully there's a solution: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2320153

Yeah, that was my first guess... You get what you pay for.

Thanks All for the feedback. Much appreciated!
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Fuel pump gaskets have only insignificant effect on output pressure. Adding gaskets could also reduce output volume, since they
reduce the maximum possible output stroke by the thickness of the gaskets, but maximum stroke only occurs in extreme
circumstances, such as turning engine over with starter with an empty float bowl and perhaps at very high rpm's if a large
number of them have been used.

Modifying the diaphragm spring is the most direct and effective way to affect pressure, but one might as well
just get a correctly made pump in the first place.

4 psi is well within the fuel pressure spec for the stock carb on a '71, so I do not think that is your problem.
There is no more pressure made by the pump when the engine is shut down, and it can not cause "flooding"
of the carb bowl. It sounds like you have gravity flow to the carb, due to a bad needle valve in the carb or the
lack of a fuel cutoff valve, which was stock on carbed VW beetles since the early sixties.

Thanks for this. I've added a gasket to the needle valve to lower it and cleaned it out real good. I also just replaced the older steel fuel line that's routed in the engine compartment since I relocated my filter (should have been done while I was restoring her). When I removed the top of the new carburetor, I noticed small rust particles that I contribute to the older fuel line and no filter to catch it. I think I'll run her at the current 4 psi and see if it was the stuck valve allowing the fuel to overfill the bowl. Afterall, when shut off, it would take 15 - 20 seconds until you see the stream coming out of the emulsion tube.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Also could be the float is just too heavy.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering fuel pump pressure... Reply with quote

Lemons 4 Gigi wrote:
Thanks for this. I've added a gasket to the needle valve to lower it and cleaned it out real good. . .

Be careful, changing the float height can also change the air/fuel ratio of the carburetor, especially under partial-throttle conditions.

Adding gaskets under the needle valve might solve one problem, but create another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: