Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appearance of strut mount
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

It's been 1,000 miles since the full restoration and I was going over the car inspecting how the suspension has settled in. Looking at the strut mounts they both look like what's pictured below. Is that normal for this setup?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

It should have a nut on the top. Smile . I don’t believe it should be raised up like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Something isn't right. I'm sure you have the nut on there - just can't see it in the photo. Did you get the spacer and all the washers in there? Strut bearing may need to be replaced.

nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
It should have a nut on the top. Smile . I don’t believe it should be raised up like that.

It's there, you just can't see it.
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
Something isn't right. I'm sure you have the nut on there - just can't see it in the photo. Did you get the spacer and all the washers in there? Strut bearing may need to be replaced.

That diagram is for the 3-bolt design. I have the later setup, shown on the right in the image below, and all of those pieces are in place.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Can the nut be tightened more?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Not my car but...

nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Not my car but...

That makes me feel better.

Or both mine and that one have something off! Hahaha...
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

Food for thought. The newer 2 bolt style strut looks like it has a nut that holds the spring seat on ,is under preload ,and has another nut that holds just the strut mount on. While the 3 bolt strut ;early super, just has one nut that holds the mount on and is under preload tension.

I assume that having the wrong hardware there has bent the big retaining washer on the top.
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Appearance of strut mount Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
Food for thought. The newer 2 bolt style strut looks like it has a nut that holds the spring seat on ,is under preload ,and has another nut that holds just the strut mount on. While the 3 bolt strut ;early super, just has one nut that holds the mount on and is under preload tension.

I assume that having the wrong hardware there has bent the big retaining washer on the top.

34a is a washer (171412369). I used that same diagram when rebuilding/restoring mine. Of course, missing from the shot is the washer, but it went on. In the diagram, everything visually from 37 up to 42, is built into/included with the strut mount itself.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: