Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I am the "new" one Wink
Is there a special category to intruduce myself? Here it will be off topic.

At the moment I am restoring my bug(s).
It is a 79 Mexican body an a 73 floor.
The interesting of the floor is, that it was "planed" for export to ... perhaps USA.
The engine was an "AK" coded (48hp) one.
But it never left Germany. The car was produced in May of 73 and deliverd to a VW works member on 4th September 1973. Quite a long time.
So my question is: What's the name for this beetle in America? So, the plate on the rear lid.
Was ist VW1300S? Or only VW1300, or VW1600? As far as I found out in the archieves, here, it was a "Basic Beetle", wasn't it?

There is a special "M" package which coundn't be decoded by Volkswagen Classic. The "D22". Perhaps you know it.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

the "Stevie"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

Welcome.

113 is a standard Bug. Is the windshield flat or curved?

Get some pictures up!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

Stevie, all US-market Beetles starting with the 1969 model year received the independant semi-trailing arm rear suspension (Schraeglenkerhinterachse) as standard equipment, regardless if the transmission was the 4-speed manual or the semi-automatic. For other countries, the rear suspension remained swingaxle unless the car had the optional auto-stick. Super Beetles (1302, 1303) all had the semi-trailing arm style also in Europe. Since your birth certificate lists a 4-speed manual transmission, a previous owner may have welded in the front mount for the semi-trailing arms, and used parts from a Super Beetle rear suspension.

Your birth certificate lists the option M190, which is likely the door beams added for improved side-impact performance on US models. A very unusual option for a German-market Beetle...

US Beetles from 1970 thru 1974 all had the 1600 cc engine, and the engine lid script was "VOLKSWAGEN" regardless if Standard or Super Beetles. When VW used fuel injection as of the 1975 model year, the script changed to "FUEL INJECTION". Here's a view of the rear of a Beetle from the 1973 US sales brochure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ja, Fotos bitte!

In what area of Germany are you? 40 years ago I lived in Wolfsburg for 3 years and traveled in many parts of (West) Germany during that time. Have also been to southern Germany on business several times in the last 30 years.
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Welcome.

113 is a standard Bug. Is the windshield flat or curved?

Get some pictures up!

Hey, I bought only the chassis some 30 years ago.
And I know the difference between 1300, 1302 and 1303. I have all of them

Wink

Rome wrote:
Stevie, all US-market Beetles starting with the 1969 model year received the independant semi-trailing arm rear suspension (Schraeglenkerhinterachse) .....

Your birth certificate lists the option M190, which is likely the door beams added for improved side-impact performance on US models. A very unusual option for a German-market Beetle...

US Beetles from 1970 thru 1974 all had the 1600 cc engine, and the engine lid script was "VOLKSWAGEN" regardless if Standard or Super Beetles. When VW used fuel injection as of the 1975 model year, the script changed to "FUEL INJECTION". Here's a view of the rear of a Beetle from the 1973 US sales brochure.

Ja, Fotos bitte!

In what area of Germany are you? 40 years ago I lived in Wolfsburg for 3 years and traveled in many parts of (West) Germany during that time. Have also been to southern Germany on business several times in the last 30 years.

Hey Rome,
yes that was the reason I bought the chassis. Because of the "Schräglenkerhinterachse":
I got only the chassis an the "Fahrzeugbrief". The former owner wrecked the car down because of bad condition. I swaped the left and right floor pan.

I now about M190, because the former owner of my chassis was an enthusiast for US Bugs.

I had a call with classic parts center an we discussed about the car an came to the followin conclusion: The car was produced in May 73. Perhaps there came a special law in Amerika which made it impossible to register this beetle there.
So it was sold in Germany.

Unfortunaltely I haven't any Photographs of the beetle Sad

I come from near Hanover - so more or less "northern Germany".

the "Stevie"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

Hey folks, just me again to "push up" the thread.

At the moment I'm really interessted in the option named "D22".

Any ideas?

Thnx in advance and regards from rainy and stormy Germany
the "Stevie"

EDIT: I think I found it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php

Perhaps it is "M22". Sealed Beam Headlights. That would make sense.
"Sparkäfer", 1973
Karmann Coupé 1966
VW1302S, 1971
VW1303S, 1973
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

Could it be the car was US spec and just delivered into Germany through a special delivery program? I remember a lot of European (and especially German) car manufacturers had programs you could buy the car and pick it up at the factory and use it in Europe on vacation, then it would be shipped to the US.
Just an idea...
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting history of 73 beetle => how was it named? Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
Could it be the car was US spec and just delivered into Germany through a special delivery program? I remember a lot of European (and especially German) car manufacturers had programs you could buy the car and pick it up at the factory and use it in Europe on vacation, then it would be shipped to the US.
Just an idea...

Thanks for this info, Johnny.
During a phone call with the classic parts center we came to an one and only idea.
Perhaps in summer 73 new registration/legislation laws were introduced in the USA and the cars are not "saleable" any more. And so they were sold in Germany. And the first owner was a Volkswagen employee from Hanover.

the "Stevie"

P.S.: A friend of mine owned a former R&D beetle from VW with complete US spec and German registration. That was really, really, very seldom. Especially the seald beam headlilght are always a problem with the German TÜV.
"Sparkäfer", 1973
Karmann Coupé 1966
VW1302S, 1971
VW1303S, 1973
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: