Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

This is for a 79 Bay Window. Was driving great with no problems and this morning I took it out on the highway and as soon as I hit 30 I started getting a grinding type noise. It's sort of a bzzt bzzt sound.

It's coming from the front of the bus and sounds like it's coming from maybe the steering box?? If I can keep it straight it's less likely to make the noise. If I turn it any little bit left or right it makes the noise. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the left side of the bus.

I jacked up each of the front tires and gave them a shake and they both seem good.

Something that may or may not be a thing/relevant is I think the steering wheel has shifted positions. Where straight ahead used to have both handles at the horizon they are now something like 30 degrees off. It didn't seem to be a problem and was something I was just going to readjust the teeth, but perhaps its related to this. I think this may have just gotten more misaligned, but I can't say for certain.

Any help is greatly appreciate. Thanks!
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the steering gearbox. I want to put some oil in it, but it's unclear from the Bentley how to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit - Found it here: https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/steering-box-oil-level.60294/

Last edited by surfbus23 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Speedo cable

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Speedo cable

Yes, on most '79s there would be an EGR light milage counter box contraption behind the driver side kick panel. I don't think the upper and lower cables are available these days, so most people replace the works with a single-piece cable from an early bay.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand how that cable would be causing this noise? I have a single cable, no contraption. Is there something I should be looking for?

Steering box took about 4oz of oil top it off. Going to take it for a spin but not optimistic.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Was not a problem with the steering box. Noise is kind of an errrr errr if anyone can make sense of that.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Is one of the brake backing plate rubbing?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

On my Squareback, the speedometer cable started making noise at 30mph and was a squeak/squealing noise that was constant. It doesn’t have an the counter box, the speedometer cable needed lube. Try unhooking the cable from the wheel and take it for a drive and see if the noise stops or not. If it is gone, reattach the cable at the wheel and detach it from the speedometer and put oil down the cable and see if that helps.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

On mine, the front wheel bearings failed and made a noise about the same kind of pitch an electric motor would make. But they did not have noticeable play in them when I jacked it up and moved the wheels around.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for chipping in. I need the help! I figured it might be best to upload an audio capture of the sound. This was done with a recorder sitting between the driver and passenger seat. I'm going approximately 30mph and very light left to right action of the steering wheel.

Link
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Through lousy laptop speakers that sounds like a disc rubbing on a dust plate. Jack up the bus and grab each tire and try to move it side to side as well as up down, any noticeable play in one (or both)?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

The problem is I'm not sure what noticeable play entails. I did this earlier and both sides the tire moves as an entire unit. Doesn't feel like any looseness though. Just like you can grab it and it's part of the suspension, so it can be moved.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to pop the tires off and see what I can find with the breaks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Just like you can grab it and it's part of the suspension, so it can be moved.

Just how big and strong are you?, aside from slow smooth side to side movement if the steering is unlocked a wheel shouldn't move at all when being manipulated by an average mortal. Is there any clunk clunks when you reach the ends of this "movement" you are seeing? it doesn't take big muscles to find play, grabbing the top of a tire with one hand and pushing in/out can expose a loose wheel bearing. It may only move 1/2" at the top, but any play is bad news.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand how that cable would be causing this noise? I have a single cable, no contraption.

The cable spins inside its conduit at wheel rpm. Lack of lube in there is a common source of noise. Turning the wheel bends the conduit and
increases force between cable and conduit, and could cause noise even if there's none while going straight. You have the classic symptoms.

cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

I'm going to chime in and say that I've experienced something like that noise. Consider that it might not be a grinding, but a really fast vibration/rattling. There's a bushing on the front end of the shift rod that keeps the rod aimed correctly. If it's missing, the rod can wiggle around a lot, and when you turn the steering wheel it makes the rod lean towards the frame.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
aside from slow smooth side to side movement

I think this would be what I meant by movement. Just sort of shaking the car more than the wheel being lose.

Jacked the front up and took off the tire this morning. Found the break caliper looking like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This looks to be problematic with it rubbing against the rotor. It looks the same on the backside. Or not. I don't remember what it's supposed to be like. Looks like maybe this is correct.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
I'm going to chime in and say that I've experienced something like that noise. Consider that it might not be a grinding, but a really fast vibration/rattling. There's a bushing on the front end of the shift rod that keeps the rod aimed correctly. If it's missing, the rod can wiggle around a lot, and when you turn the steering wheel it makes the rod lean towards the frame.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The bushing is still there and in good shape. Recently relubed it and I verified it's position yesterday.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The cable spins inside its conduit at wheel rpm. Lack of lube in there is a common source of noise. Turning the wheel bends the conduit and increases force between cable and conduit, and could cause noise even if there's none while going straight. You have the classic symptoms.

What's the solution to this then? Remove the cable and grease inside it?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

It appears that it was in fact the speedometer cable. I zip tied it up and out of the way and had no problems (other than the fact I had no clue what speed I was going). But I got it up to speed enough and it was quiet.

Any thoughts on the best way to lube it? It's the inside or the outside that needs the lube? I shot some white grease from a can down it but not sure if that was enough.
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Any non-hardening grease will work fine. American car dealers in the 60s used white lithium grease, but I have always used graphite lube (I mention the white grease, so that you don't combine the two). Obviously the graphite is what I'd recommend, but now that I that I thought about it the light weight oil I use for my bicycle cables would also be ideal.

Just a note, if you do not lube the cable it will break. Also, it may break soon no matter what you do, due to the possible damage to the sheathing inside the cable. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't be surprised if you have to buy a new one.

(As a AARP card carrying adolescent, I laugh every time I read this over due to the secret poop reference)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: