Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake pads from FLAPS ??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

Hey there - my brake pad order from Bus Depot got delayed - not a complaint, just a statement. I would love to get my brakes back together on my 86 westy this weekend, but have only purchased from the usual VW specific vendors. Anyone had any recent luck with pads from NAPA, Autozone, etc? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

Brake pads are really a personal preference. So what may work for you may not work for someone else. If your FLAPS has Vanagon brakes, they will certainly work. Wagner makes decent brakes that work for 95% of all drivers. Can you overheat them with 3 repeated stops? Yep, most likely. Will that make them a great candidate for traveling down the Rockies? Nope. Will they give you a decent initial bite and that's why they overheat easily? Probably. Are they going to be low dust, low maintenance, squeak free, and work just fine? Yeah, probably.

The van's not a sports car so repeatedly slamming the brakes is not something I see in the van's future. And if you should probably be engine braking to avoid overheating your brakes when coming down mountains anyway.

Short answer, yeah sure. Shocked Laughing
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

I would peek at NAPAs online catalog and see what, if anything, they offer for brakes pads on the Vanagon.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I made some calls to NAPA, Pep Boys and Autozone. The issue is that none of them have them IN STORE, so I guess I'll just wait for my Bus Depot order.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Thanks guys - I made some calls to NAPA, Pep Boys and Autozone. The issue is that none of them have them IN STORE...

My FLAPS is an O'Reilly's (formerly Checker/Kragen/Shucks) and they can usually get anything not on the shelf in a couple of hours from their warehouse.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee! I checked out O O O O'reilly's and they had a set I can pick up tomorrow at NOON. Thanks my Man!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

NAPA usually has like 5 different levels of pads. i have no "go to" set and usually just pick a mid-level one. usually can get them by the next morning with their parts network.

i take my business to our local NAPA vs the 5 other FLAPS in town. between hiring people that are in the auto biz... you'll often see dealership parts or service managers behind the counter, they just offer good service and really go the extra mile and have access to quality parts. i want them to stay in business. i'll willing pay the extra because it ends up being cost effective.

between the vanagon specific online parts vendors and NAPA, i'm 99.9% taken care of.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

If you are in MA, order from FCP , and cry once and pay once

Lifetime warranty. On brake pads.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

I got my last set of pads from Home Depot. Ordered online and they showed up in less than a week. Work fine.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Thanks guys - I made some calls to NAPA, Pep Boys and Autozone. The issue is that none of them have them IN STORE, so I guess I'll just wait for my Bus Depot order.

Pep Boys selling parts?
Our local PB stopped a year ago (service only)
Rear discs
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
I got my last set of pads from Home Depot. Ordered online and they showed up in less than a week. Work fine.

I'd be wary of HoDepot's automotive offerings, especially Vanagon-specific stuff. I ordered one of their tow loop hitches from the online catalog and was told they could not fill my order. Period.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

My local NAPA has the ultra-premium pads in stock for today pickup.

Craig
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

When changing pad compounds on used discs, you want to “deglaze” the discs. 80 grit sand paper if you don’t have a tool. New pads exchange material on to the disc face and it is the friction of the material imbedded into the disc and the pad face that does the stopping. That’s an over simplified explanation. But you are “bedding” in the pads. Knocking the glaze off prior, helps the bedding in process. You can have a great pedal and poor performance if the pads don’t bed in correctly. New discs removing glaze is not an issue, but you still need to bed in new pads on new discs for maximum performance.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pads from FLAPS ?? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the info. I was able to pick these up today from O'Reilly's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They fit perfectly and passed the braking test this afternoon. They didn't even squeak. Used the Motive pressure bleeder, which I've had good luck with in the past. Worked well again today, and I now have fresh clean brake fluid as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: