Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1700 heads- flycut for 2L/94 mm jugs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: 1700 heads- flycut for 2L/94 mm jugs Reply with quote

Figured I would post my question here vs. the baywindow thread. I just came into a pair of 021 101 371Q heads, which I understand were 1700 originally. They have been cut to 105mm register to fit 2.0 jugs. Based on the markings, someone did some work setting CR’s in whatever application they used these for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ive only worked with stock 2.0 motors used in the later model baywindows (GD and GE’s). Ive read where the 1.7 heads are a good choice to upgrade to 2.0 due to the porting and slightly larger intake valves.

I dont have a set plan for these heads and am looking for some advice if I should consider them in my next 2.0 build or just move on with stock 2.0 heads. I havent done a full inspection of these and would take the time to bead blast and dye penetrant for cracks if they would be a suitable use.

I also run FI on my Westy’s and noticed there is a port for the TSII, but it is located much higher on the head than a 2.0 head. I think these heads may have been 914 originally. While the TSII will fit in the hole, would the relocation play havoc with my L-tronic?

Have plenty of other projects and work to do on two busses right now, just need to decide if these get shelved or shipped out. Cheers!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 heads- flycut for 2L/94 mm jugs Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Figured I would post my question here vs. the baywindow thread. I just came into a pair of 021 101 371Q heads, which I understand were 1700 originally. They have been cut to 105mm register to fit 2.0 jugs. Based on the markings, someone did some work setting CR’s in whatever application they used these for.

Ive only worked with stock 2.0 motors used in the later model baywindows (GD and GE’s). Ive read where the 1.7 heads are a good choice to upgrade to 2.0 due to the porting and slightly larger intake valves.

I dont have a set plan for these heads and am looking for some advice if I should consider them in my next 2.0 build or just move on with stock 2.0 heads. I havent done a full inspection of these and would take the time to bead blast and dye penetrant for cracks if they would be a suitable use.

I also run FI on my Westy’s and noticed there is a port for the TSII, but it is located much higher on the head than a 2.0 head. I think these heads may have been 914 originally. While the TSII will fit in the hole, would the relocation play havoc with my L-tronic?

Have plenty of other projects and work to do on two busses right now, just need to decide if these get shelved or shipped out. Cheers!

The TS 2 location is fine. The D-jet system that originally came on these uses the same TS-2 as the L-jet system.....and the location is fine for either system. I have run both systems on 1.7l and 1.8L.

The heads you have could have come from a 411, 412 or 914......all three use the 100% identical in every way....1.7l engine.

Depending on what your compression goal is and what pistons you use.....you may find it hard to keep compression down low enough for a bus witj those heads without a huge shim and deck.

They have small chambers....and they are set up for 8.2:1 with the 90mm domed pistons they came with.....or 7.3:1 with the California 1.7L dished pistons.

Once you remove the stock head gasket.....that translates to about 8.4:1 with the domed pistons and about 7.5:1 with the dished pistons.

BUT....once you flycut the 1.7L head for 93 or 94 pistons.....it just increases the quench areas. You can end up with 9.0:1 compression pretty quick. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 heads- flycut for 2L/94 mm jugs Reply with quote

Thank you Ray. I probably should have passed on these, but it was along with a couple cases and other heads, and got caught up in a buying frenzy. Doesnt seem like anything im gonna use. Its too bad they were cut, because I have a ‘72 thats worthy of restoring some day, and could use a set of heads for it.

Gonna clean them up and see if anyone else can use them.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 heads- flycut for 2L/94 mm jugs Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Thank you Ray. I probably should have passed on these, but it was along with a couple cases and other heads, and got caught up in a buying frenzy. Doesnt seem like anything im gonna use. Its too bad they were cut, because I have a ‘72 thats worthy of restoring some day, and could use a set of heads for it.

Gonna clean them up and see if anyone else can use them.

They are not "value-less" though.

The "Q" series 1.7L heads were pretty much THE MOST durable head and best casting out of all of the stock type 4 heads of any size.

If they did in fact come from a 411/412/914 engines......unless they were extreme miles or abused...they are probably one of the best candidates for a rebuild using a stock casting instead of buying new castings.

So....if they have already been machined for 94's....they could be a good value to sell to someone who is building a 2.0L for a 914 or beetle or type 3....who is not planning to put it in a bus.

A 2.0L made with 94's and a stock 71mm crank and a set of 1.7L heads that have already be nicely flycut....and just need to have new valves and seats put in....to make 9.0:1 compression on a twin carbed or even fuel injected engine for something other than a bus....would be excellent. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: