Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

Helping a friend out with a Manx Style buggy, and setting up his axle tubes and axles and rear disc brakes, brand of disc brakes system setup is unknown, as you can see in the picture I'm mocking up his bracket and the bearing cap, my question is and from what I can remember installing these the cap should be touching the bearing, as you can see in my pointer there is a gap, it appears to be about .080 of an inch Gap I realize that the bracket it's spacing out the bearing cap more, let me know if this will create a problem or if I need to get a different year cap, thanks in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

This is a common issue. I had the same problem with my 68 swingaxle and it allowed gear oil to leak. The problem is those cheap caliper brackets are thicker than the stock backing plate (which they replace).

You either need to trim the bracket to the stock thickness (5mm IIRC) or replace with the HD cast brackets, which is what I did.

Do a search and you’ll find other threads on trimming the brackets, etc.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

There is also three different bearing caps, perhaps one with less depth would be a better fit....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

Yes that's the problem he had that they were leaking, and I figured seeing this now figured that's why they were leaking, I do have one of the later bearing caps because originally they were mismatched, but the depth is not enough to take up the space so I might look at the 57 one, don't know if that will fix my problems, but you're getting a different bracket or getting she might be my only choice unfortunately I wanted to get this taken care of today oh well just another bump in the road
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
This is a common issue. I had the same problem with my 68 swingaxle and it allowed gear oil to leak. The problem is those cheap caliper brackets are thicker than the stock backing plate (which they replace).

You either need to trim the bracket to the stock thickness (5mm IIRC) or replace with the HD cast brackets, which is what I did.

Do a search and you’ll find other threads on trimming the brackets, etc.

Where did you find the heavy duty cast brackets?
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

My local EMPI dealer.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disk brake conversion bearing to cap spacing question Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
My local EMPI dealer.

👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: