Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

yeah I went and bought a temp gun just to make sure. lol
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I am very surprised by that but it is good news for sure!
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Wife and I just came back from a 2 hour ride and head temp never went over 230 , block 160 or lower so there is no heating issue.

Rpm never went over 2200 cruising at 60 mph. believe it may be the tach. while shifting it would hit 3,000 then i would shift into next gear.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
Here is a few pixs i just took. Relocate the coil might be enough room but not sure with hood closed. Swear i hate that header.no matter what i do paint burns off the dang thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

All headers burn paint off. You need it plasma coated, stainless, or chrome plated to even have a shot at keeping the finish.

Try a run without the engine cover in place. It looks like severe overheating with the cover, but perhaps cool running without it. I notice that about half of the 4 seat T-buggies don't even have the engine cover -- it's starting to make sense.

Almost all aircooled VW cars with stock gearing run somewhere around 3000 rpm at 60 mph. It can go up or down a little by year and you can push it around with tire size, but if you are reading less than 2600 or more than 3300 I would start looking for some very non-original gearing (and most of those are expensive aftermarket parts.)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I can't think of anything that I have seen or read about specifically made to work on a single port engine. All the carb up grades are for dual port engines.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

any recommendation on a 2 barrel carb or whole kit for this single port ?
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I have not had any heating issue's with engine yet. But dam you guys sure have me thinking about it for sure. Some type of ducting will happen.

Thank you both for the heads up !!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
... What about removing the block off plugs for the heater ? would circulate more air around motor.

Yeah, around the motor; as opposed to keeping heat away from it. And, it'd be at the expense of air meant for the very crucial job of cooling heads and cylinders. Don't do it.

popeye613 wrote:
... talking about a engine skirt as i call them ?

Yes, now you're talking! Made one for my kitcar's enclosed engine compartment using an old inner tube found while at the side of some highway, probably had to pull off due to an overheated engine.

I learn'd the hard way, cook'd motors; burn'd valves, warp'd heads, exhaust valves sticking, head studs pulling, etc. Eventually built a side scoop and ducted cooling air directly to the inlet side of fan shroud; and then later, widen'd it for more air flow:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8739263&highlight=#8739263
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

In the stock VWs with the upright cooling fan the upper engine compartment is sealed off by tins and weather stripping so that NO hot air from the cooling air discharge under the engine or heat from the exhaust system can get to and be recycled by the cooling fan. In a conventional Manx style Buggy this re-circulation does happen some but the engine is open enough that this is not really a big issue. Most of the designers and manufacturers of the more closed in style kit cars did not give this cooling air re-circulation any thought. Your engine compartment would definitely be in that category! Some sort of baffle between upper and lower air and shielding from the hot exhaust system should be done.

The other option, which VW did on the type 3 and 4 cars was to duct the intake for the fan into a cold air stream. In those cars it was louvers on the side of the body. Maybe just a large duct from your fan inlet forward so that it picks up cool air from above the transaxle is all you would need. I personally would still look at some sort of tin shield over that exhaust and muffler though to help reflect the heat down.

I wonder if some of your lack of power is not just due to the engine running too hot?
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

No gauges for oil or head temps.

"isolation between the upper and lower air flows"

Help out a rookie now you lost me on that one. lol unless your talking about a engine skirt as i call them ?

What about removing the block off plugs for the heater ? would circulate more air around motor.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Ok, right! I see the problem!

No I would not put a turbo under that engine cover, you would be very lucky indeed if you don't already have high engine temperature problems now! There is nothing standing in the way of hot air from the bottom of the engine and exhaust system from re-circulating into the cooling fan. Do you monitor oil or head temps at all?

This is a problem with many kit cars. You need to get some isolation between the upper and lower air flows along the line that VW did in the Beetle and Bus.

I am also thinking that air cleaner is not doing you any favours.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Here is a few pixs i just took. Relocate the coil might be enough room but not sure with hood closed. Swear i hate that header.no matter what i do paint burns off the dang thing.

[/img]
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I hear you loud and clear about not wanting to make your car look like a rolling refinery. I too have an aversion to that look and prefer a more subtle approach.

One of the things that strikes me as oddly unnecessary on a mild turbo VW is that everyone seems to start with the N/A equal length header mindset and add from there. This makes for a very bulky system and while it may be of some advantage if one is going for the last possible ounce of boost, there are far simpler and neater ways to get the exhaust to the turbo. For a mild street set up that is all that you need, short and sweet, the closest route possible. Take a look at the factory turbo vehicles' exhaust manifolds. They will tell you the same story.

My vision for a compact system would have the turbo behind the engine, just high enough for the oil to drain back into the sump and either elbow the compressor discharge into the stock carb or go draw through with a single side draught carb on the turbo inlet. An SU, small DCOE, motorcycle carb or even VW's Solex from an early type 3.

It could all be fit in between the rear of the engine and the bumper/engine cage without taking up space under the hood. The space normally taken up by the stock muffler.

Just something to think about...
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Fabrication skills: has never been a down fall for me. have welder,torches and ya can fab up anything.lol

Fyi: I have been doing demo derbies for 36 yrs in Ohio so fab work is not new.

Have looked up many turbo setups but I believe they will not fit under my hood. i want to keep the back all stock looking and not cut it all to heck. Plus I do not want the heat to fry my paint job. I have done some searching on the AMR500 chargers but not sure if that will even fit.

Was thinking of fabricating up adaptor for this new holley 2 barrel (350) I bought for a car yrs ago and never used to fit the stock center mount but...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
Motor runs just fine . just looking for lil more HP is all .I figure more fuel/air better the HP but with them signal port heads maybe not.

There is a bit more to be had but nothing that will set any records. Single component changes won't see much improvement, a compatible combination of carb, timing and exhaust will yield the best results.

Now if you care to tinker with a bit of boost, that is a whole different story. A modestly sized turbo at 4 to 6 psi will make a 50% or so gain in power and torque and can be done very cost effectively if you have the fabrication skills. Very little if anything will need change in terms of timing and carb if you keep the boost to those levels.

Above 6 psi things get much more complicated all around.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Motor runs just fine . just looking for lil more HP is all .I figure more fuel/air better the HP but with them signal port heads maybe not.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

The answer depends on the reason you want to make a change. If it's drivability issues it may or may not be carb related. Many people including myself have made carb changes only to find the problem was not the carb at all.

If the engine is running well but you just want more power, a 1500 single port has some built in limitations. VW did go from a single carb on the Bug to twin Solex carbs on the type 3 dual port engine for a gain of 6 HP. I would expect a bit less on a singe port, maybe 4 or 5 HP, a noticeable bit but not earth shattering by any means. A combination of carbs, 1.25 ratio rockers, better timing and exhaust system change could net you 10 HP tops but the power gain to dollars spent ratio would be poorish and could about match a stock 1600 dual port.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Guys time for a new carb setup on this stock 1500 single port engine.

I rather just go with 1 single 2 barrel but open to any idea's you folks have.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Tach is not accurate....I run almost 3200 RPM at about 60MPH with 255/60/15's...

Dale

3200 range is what I needed. Have another tack on the boat may hook it up and see the reading. Thank ya sir !!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Tach is not accurate....I run almost 3200 RPM at about 60MPH with 255/60/15's...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: