Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

It takes but a moment to rotate that distributor body to where it's supposed to be to eliminate confusion on that point..

That rotor location is TDC for #2.

Dale is right that the timing reference is the case split line. NOT the centerpunch mark that someone has added. It's NOT a factory timing mark.

I also agree with most all that OPRN has posted, including that the engine will run just fine with the distributor body out 180°. But it being rotated from where it's supposed to be adds to the confusion.

Replacing the distributor you have will NOT fix your problems.

Finding TDC for #1 is not just "till there was no overlap on the movement". It is no movement of the rocker against the valve for all the way from shortly after BDC through compression stroke and back almost to BDC. The valves must be closed all that time, and thus the rockers NOT contacting the tips of both valves for nearly 1 full turn of the crank. TDC is in the middle of that crank rotation. Remember that in a 4-stroke Otto Cycle engine, the piston will pass TDC 2 times.

I don't know why you think that the guy who sold it was wrong about it being a 1600. The 1600 pistons and cylinders install exactly the same as the 1500 pistons and cylinders. No machining is required in the block (case, as we VW guys call it) or cylinder heads. Same crank. Same rods. As said above, 83mm pistons and cylinders for 1500 are rare to find these days and 85.5mm 1600 pistons and cylinders are what is normally available. I've never seen a difference in fuel economy. You don't need any difference in ignition or even in carburetor. And as said above, the power difference is there, but very minor. It's still free horsepower in my book.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Degree marks on crankshaft pulley, very helpful:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Looks pretty cool, too!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Yes indeed. Very helpful.

And note the rotation of the distributor body while you're looking at that picture.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Degree marks on crankshaft pulley, very helpful:

(Looks pretty cool, too!)

\

I agree 100 % !! 1 was ordered 2 weeks ago and still waiting for it.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Yes indeed. Very helpful.

And note the rotation of the distributor body while you're looking at that picture.

If my marks lined up like MrGoodtunes i would be happy.lol

Maybe somebody just has dist body installed wrong.

Know of any casting numbers or tricks to see if the heads are 1500 or 1600 ?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

The head part numbers may be different between a 1500 and 1600 but in ALL other respects they are identical and completely interchangeable with no machining required.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

To fix the distributor rotation issue, just loosen the distributor pinch bolt (the little bolt with a 10mm head) a little and you can rotate the distributor to where it SHOULD be. Then be sure to re-set the plug wires to match. The cap has a key that locates the cap on the body, so it will only go one way. if you rotate the distributor, you need to rotate the cap too. But if you rotate them, the plug wires will be in the wrong places.
SoCalBajas Member
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I take it something is missing here ?

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
I take it something is missing here ?

What is the picture here have to do with your star/running issue.... In this pic points plate is missing and points missing, I don't under the relevance as if this was in you engine original in this configuration engine never ran as you claim in original post...

And 009 distributors only have one spring....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

There's no mark to show where #1 is, and of course no points nor points plate:

popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

And 009 distributors only have one spring....

You answered my question period !!! I should of stated I removed point plate ect but ...
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

In the missing point plate distributor picture, the mark for #1 is at the 11 o'clock position, just need to spin the housing 180
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Check that the weights for the advance rotate freely. The pivot by the #1 timing mark looks like it's bleeding a bit of rust. Maybe just the circlip. If they don't rotate you won't get any advance. That will give you the original issue you posted about.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
... mark for #1 is at the 11 o'clock position, just need to spin the housing 180

Dale M. wrote:

You guys got better eyes than I do (and/or, better knowledge of where to look).
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Teeroy wrote:
... mark for #1 is at the 11 o'clock position, just need to spin the housing 180

Dale M. wrote:

You guys got better eyes than I do (and/or, better knowledge of where to look).

On all the 009's I have worked on and most other distributors I have worked on timing notch has always been about a inch clockwise from cap indexing notch.... I tend to use triangle file to enhance it a bit if its too hard to see....

Dale

popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Luftwagen 2180 wrote:
Check that the weights for the advance rotate freely. The pivot by the #1 timing mark looks like it's bleeding a bit of rust. Maybe just the circlip. If they don't rotate you won't get any advance. That will give you the original issue you posted about.

This is the main reason I tore it apart to check and see if they moved which they did just fine.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Also, the piece of felt inside the top of the shaft should get a drop of oil every time the rotor's off, each tune-up at least. The point cam follower should get a dab of grease regularly too. In that picture, the felt is dry and the point cam is dry too. Both are bad.
SoCalBajas Member
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

If I may interject here. I am also have timing issues. I.. believe, but in my case, I did a static timing on my buggy. I turned the key and the engine rotates slowly like it want to fire up but it just turns one revolution fast, then a few slow. Would it have any thing to do with adjusting the valves? Perhaps not adjust correctly? It was running fine till I replaced the carburetor. New progressive Weber 32/36. A bitch to tune, I need to deal with the timing issue first..

Thanks all..
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
... it just turns one revolution fast, then a few slow ...

You might have too much advance, making ignition fire too early, before compression stroke is over, causing air-fuel mix explosion to push against starter's efforts. Maybe try and see if setting timing back closer to TDC helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: