Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making pop-top hinges... need a little info
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

HI,

I am making some pop-top hinges, as was discussed in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630622.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have roughed in the components but need to notch the bars that attach to the poptop roof and the tintop so the hinges can collapse to their lowest point.

My question: how low should these be able to go? I don't have any "real" hinges to compare to. I want to tweak these until their range of motion is identical to the stock parts... then I'll make them pretty.

How low should they go? Can somebody post a pic of the real article at the lowest range of motion?

thanks.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Nice work. It looks like yours attach to the top horizontal part of the roof. At least if I am seeing holes in the top edge correctly. The OEM ones attach to the side of the roof. I’m not sure the measurement would be the same.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

The top and bottom angles could be replaced with flat bar if the actual roof I obtain calls for it.

I am in the final stages of negotiating for a nice 1985 manual tin top now. Hoping the owner comes back with a realistic price...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

That’s a difficult picture to come by. I measured from the top of my drip rail to the center of the bottom side bolts and it is 4 1/8” on both sides. The camper tin roof has indents where the hinges attach. A tin top won’t have those indents.

Knowing vw, the hinges fold to the point where they won’t go over center. This maybe something that you figure out when you have everything in hand. Nice looking reproduction hinges.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
That’s a difficult picture to come by. I measured from the top of my drip rail to the center of the bottom side bolts and it is 4 1/8” on both sides. The camper tin roof has indents where the hinges attach. A tin top won’t have those indents.

Knowing vw, the hinges fold to the point where they won’t go over center. This maybe something that you figure out when you have everything in hand. Nice looking reproduction hinges.

That's actually all the info I need. Basically then, the top and bottom hinge members have to be parallel when at rest.

Onward and upward!

I am kind of wondering if there''s a way to add helper springs to these. Might be fun to tinker with.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Quite a few have added gas shocks like you’d find on a hatch. They are available in multiple lengths and rates. You can search here poptop shocks. There are also a couple good threads on converting tin tops to pop tops. Good discussions about cutting bracing etc.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

You could design in a spring but you would probably pinch and puncture the tent fabric as it compressed.
Hydraulic lift kits are readily available and are time proven technology.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Are you also making the front machinism?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

I get 5 inches fully closed

Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! For the pic especially.

I think the springs would impact the fabric, I didn't think that through enough. Hydraulics it is.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you look at linear actuators rather than hydraulics. Way simpler to run 12v to actuators than to deal with hydraulics - easier to program and control as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Something like this.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

I meant the pressurized lifts, not actual hydraulics... LOL

I'm not lifting a house
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Making pop-top hinges... need a little info Reply with quote

Thoragaverung wrote:
I meant the pressurized lifts, not actual hydraulics... LOL

I'm not lifting a house

You never know what's going to happen out in the bush. Better be prepared, be prepared. Shocked Laughing

Sent you a PM.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: