Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to test the limited slip?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

Hi all
I have a 73 181 with a limited slip option.
Is there anything that needs a check or maintenance? I checked gearbox oil.

How do I test if this limited slip does its work?
I can turn the wheels in different direction.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

Back of the thing up, you turn 1 wheel and the other turn alone freely in the same direction. Cool
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

will check, i think mine turns opposite direction
If it does, is there anything I need to replace?
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

Sadly you have then to open the differential to see what is damaged...
Did you put a lsd special oil in it?
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

I did not put new oil. I checked the level. Oil flowing out looked new

Shifts great btw, question was just out of curiosity
RichardHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

Are you sure it for sure has a limited slip diff and how do you know this? I was just watching some videos on how to know if you have a limited slip diff (unrelated to the Thing) and apparently if you jack it up and rotate a wheel and the other one turns in the same direction you do have a LSD, if it turns in the opposite direction you do not have an LSD.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

RichardHead wrote:
Are you sure it for sure has a limited slip diff and how do you know this? I was just watching some videos on how to know if you have a limited slip diff (unrelated to the Thing) and apparently if you jack it up and rotate a wheel and the other one turns in the same direction you do have a LSD, if it turns in the opposite direction you do not have an LSD.

I bet it has an open diff.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

At some point VW put a special filler plug on limited slip equipped transmissions stating to use special oil because of the limited slip. My 1970 AL transmission doesn’t have the plug, but my 73 GB does. Known factory 181 limited slip transmissions have the following letter codes: AL, AW, and GB. The open differential codes are AK, AV, and GA.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: how to test the limited slip? Reply with quote

I own an AW and an GB, the two have the special filler plug.
I used to have an AL with the short reduction like the vw bus till 1963.
On this one there was no hole in the gearbox for the axle of the starter, I never saw that before. All the others had a hole so you can use every starter. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: