Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor gas leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello, found a fuel leak right here in my carburetor. Thinking I can fix it by hammering the tube a little bit, what do you think I may do to fix this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Or maybe seal with some epoxy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Very dangerous fire hazard there. Perhaps epoxy it in and safety wire the hose after installation so that pipe cannot just pop out.

I would get a replacement carb top if it were me. Not worth torching your ride!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Not sure if you want to try it yourself, but I had my carb rebuilt by Volksbitz and got the optional screw in barbed input fitting.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Since you have it out, just tap it and put in a brass screw-in fitting with a barbed hose end. Use a clamp on the hose and safety wire it.
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

OMG I would really get busy with this. That little bit of brass tube is giving all the warning you need that it needs to be fixed. This is an absolute fire hazard! I would get a carb top from an old carb that has no leak or get to Tim at Volksbitz to get a threaded inlet. Get some peace of mind.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

Remove the brass off the carb, then with a small file, file a cross hatch pattern on it, mix up some epoxy, JB weld, apply the epoxy on the out side over the cross hatch pattern, install it back on carb top let it dry, problem solved. Reassemble the carb adjust as needed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Remove the brass off the carb, then with a small file, file a cross hatch pattern on it, mix up some epoxy, JB weld, apply the epoxy on the out side over the cross hatch pattern, install it back on carb top let it dry, problem solved. Reassemble the carb adjust as needed.

i did a similar operation... I rolled the fitting between two very coarse files with a lot of pressure. This dimpled it without removing any material, letting it fit tightly.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor gas leak Reply with quote

And safety-wire the hose clamp to the carburetor body so it cannot move "away".

Not my photo, but it's a good photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: