Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

I've just started working on my bay window's brake system and i'm already realizing that i might need to "MacGyver" it a bit. My bay window has a split window front axle swapped into it... so its drum brake on all four corners. d'oh! Because of this, i shouldn't need a rear brake pressure regulator, right?

The pressure regulator was cut out of my brake system a while ago, before I got the bus, so its no extra trouble to just straight-line it from the master cylinder to the rear T fitting. I don't know too much about VW bus brake systems, i'm only a few hours of research in. So please let me know what you think.

(unfortunately I have a pretty short timeline for my restoration, so swapping the front axle isn't really an option as of right now)

Thanks for your time, any input would be really appreciated.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

You should not need the proportioning valve. Those were used on buses with front discs.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

What bus with stock front disc brakes has a front beam that's compatible with a beam from a splitty? I was thinking maybe a 1968?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Its a '74 Bay Window Westy. Not sure exactly how the previous owners made it work, but it feels pretty well put on there and steers just fine.

Thank you @babysnakes. If anyone else has input that would be great. Messing with brakes is a little nerve-racking, so even if you think it would be totally fine to remove the pressure regulator, the boost in confidence would be great. But also if you think its a bad idea, i'd love to hear why. Thanks guys!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What bus with stock front disc brakes has a front beam that's compatible with a beam from a splitty? I was thinking maybe a 1968?

I’m with you on that Gary. A late split beam will bolt up to an’68-70 beam as far as I know. I have heard of various local shops that drill and weld split beams to fit late Bays so they can slam them on the cheap.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I Need a Rear Brake Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Keyword “slam”. That’s the bigger picture I think
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: