Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock speakers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
cut the back of the old speakers and mount them on the door card. Looks stock and won't hit the dash. This assumes that the speaker fits that way.

I agree that this is the best way to get those to work while clearing the window crank and dash.

The 6.5"s I installed straight to the metal on the door were 2.54" deep, so the 2.6" depth of those Focals shouldn't be a problem.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I’ve done enough measuring, sketching, and test fitting that I’m confident they will fit nicely. The dash will cover a small portion of the speaker. My truck never had speakers in the doors so I don’t have stock grills. I have GoWesty heavy duty high offset window cranks that easily clear the grills that came with the Focals.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

Man, you guys have me thinking, thinking, and thinking. If I did this in school, I would have been a straight-A student. I love the varied responses and approaches. I even may have a decision soon. Wink
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

I wanted to keep a stock look and keep the OEM speaker grills intact on my '85 Westy. The stock grills will accept a 3.5" speaker without modification. I used the Hertz DCX 87.3 - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TCIw8eTOYZl/p_301DCX873/Hertz-DCX-87-3.html - photo below.

They have a cardboard rim around the speaker that give it the perfect offset from the face of the grill. Remove the old speaker from the grill with a heat gun and a twisting motion. Trim the mounting ears and seal the gap around the perimeter with silicone.

3.5" speakers certainly lack bass, but they were a big upgrade from the blown out Blaupunkt's and the van is unmolested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

For better or for worse, I did make a decision. Or four.

(1) I decided to go with ABS plastic door cards. I got them in grey as that would look better in Sinka. That leaves my current door cards unmolested should I go back to stock radio-delete.

(2) I decided on a Pioneer DEH-S6220BS stereo with CD changer. Finding a single-DIN stereo with CD, Bluetooth, mic, SiriusXM, etc. was quite difficult.
Best Buy link

(3) I decided on Audiofrog GS42 four-inch speakers for the door. They were pricier than the stereo but being able to do a listening comparison between these and brand names I had heard of before at the Crutchfield site, I couldn't pull myself away. The grills will need special holes for their screws, but the grills are nice and understated ... and they are included. I have some ideas swirling in my head if they aren't enough for supplemental speakers, but we'll see.
Crutchfield link

(4) I decided on the GoWesty high-offset window cranks. I will still have the old ones should I go back to stock, and the average Joe won't know they're not stock. I did a test drive imagining them closest to my knee. I foresee no problems.
GoWesty link

Hopefully, I will have an install in early May, and I will be pleased.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

(3) I decided on Audiofrog GS42 four-inch speakers for the door.

I considered those speakers as well. I like that the grille style is similar to the OEM speakers.

Sounds like a good setup!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

Nice job on the speakers.
I did a very similar thing and bought the exact same Kicker speakers but I epoxied them in. I wish I had seen your post first since your setup is far easier to change.
I used Ford Taurus window cranks and they come nowhere near to rubbing. There is easily twice the clearance of VW cranks if not more. (I also think they look better)

Glenn73 wrote:

[/img]

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: stock speakers Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
I’ve spent a lot of time pondering speakers for my single cab. Finally decided on 4” speakers in the factory location. I’m going with Focal PC100s. https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/pc100-technical-sheet.pdf
I hope to install them this weekend. Not sure how I’m going to do it yet but I’ll report back on how it goes and how they sound.

Better late than never. Simple install and I am very happy with the sound.

I removed all of the foam backing, for better clearance, where the speaker is mounted.

Good clearance from GW crank.

Noticed grill, not the plastic, is rubbing a bit on the passenger side. Should be able to remedy that fairly easily.

Driving them with a Continental head, no amp. This is great unit and looks like it belongs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: