Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV Manual
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations on books, manuals, or other reading specifically for a type 4 engine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on books, manuals, or other reading specifically for a type 4 engine?

Tom Wilson ISBN 978-0-89586-225-9

Ray Greenwood posts bookmark

Microscope to read his secret instructions in the ellipses

You have access to all that is known about the Type 4 motor, and more.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

Sweet! I saw both of those on Amazon... I'll get those ordered. Any recommendations for a basic toolkit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

At least 4 10mm sockets and wrenches. Just a good metric tool set. Feeler gauges bandaid for knuckles. Beer. Dictionary so you can look up the definition of new cuss words you will using. Cool Did I mention Beer?

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

For some reason I have 4 hammers in the tool kit I take with me in my bus from half pound to 2lb heads, one nylon headed.

Metric socket set 1/2" drive, set of metric combination spanners.
1/2" drive hex driver set for door hinges, sliding door bottom roller..
Cross head and flat blade screwdrivers. Adjustable spanners, 6" and 12" handle.
Vice grips.
Side cutters, pliers. Feeler gauge set.

12 volt test light at least, digital multimeter.

A jack for tyre changes.

(In fact I carry all tools needed to remove and replace the engine except for some way of lowering the engine . About 50% of the space under the rear seat is tools )

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
theguyryry wrote:

Tom Wilson ISBN 978-0-89586-225-9

Ray Greenwood posts bookmark

Microscope to read his secret instructions in the ellipses

You have access to all that is known about the Type 4 motor, and more.

Laughing ....I have some good recommendations for affordable microscopes if you need one!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Sweet! I saw both of those on Amazon... I'll get those ordered. Any recommendations for a basic toolkit?

Powercraft sparkplug socket, it's magnetic.
Also a magnetic tool, to fish all the old sparkplugs out of the engine tin work .
Magnetic retrievers are important. When it comes to Type IV.
You'll understand after the first three minute encounter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

Here is a list of tools and supplies I had with me on a three month trip to Mexico a decade plus back. I had to do an engine pull during the trip when an oil galley plug blew and the only tool I had to borrow was a torque wrench for the flywheel bolts. All the tools and some of the supplies fit into a smallish (1 cu. ft.) tool box.

Tube high temperature silicone
JB Weld
Tube anti-seize
Tube Loctite
Roll plastic electrical tape
Remnant of a roll of rubber electrical tape
Tube Vasoline
Bottle dry gas
Bottle FI cleaner
Can BP Blaster
1/2" Tape measure
Jumper cables
Brake fluid
Motor oil

1/2 drive sockets 15mm-22mm
1/2 breaker bar and extensions
3/8 socket set regular and deep
3/8 spark plug socket
3/8 ratchet and breaker bar, plus extensions

Metric allen wrench set
17mm tool for tranny fill and drain
Feeler guage and spark plug wire gauge set
12 point adapter for CV joint bolts, long
Hex adapter for CV joint bolts, long

Screwdrivers:
3/8 flat, long
#3 phillips
Replaceable tip #1, #2, 3/16, 5/16
Replaceable tip, jewelers
Radiator hose tool

Small rattail file
Half round file

Crescent wrenches, 4", 6", 12"

10 x 11mm tubing wrench for brake lines
8mm - 22 mm combination wrench set
6mm - 19 mm box end set
3/8 - 5/8 English combination set

VOM meter
Wiring multi-tool with misc asst of wire terminals
Diagonal cutters
Snap ring pliers, two styles
Channel-locks 10"
2# ball peen hammer
Vise Grips, large and small
Battery drill, with bits 1/16 - 1/4"
Ground cloth

Grease gun
Needle adapter

Spare parts:

Alternator belt
Fuel Filters, two
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

When I redid the bus engine, I went through the Wilson book and underlined the type 4 specifics to make sure I could double check what I was doing accurately.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

I can't find it right now, but there's a thread on the errors in the Bentley as well as one on Wilson's. Many don't matter much, but some, like that overtorque on the rocker stands in Wilson's will change your weekend. His distributor drive instructions are a big challenging as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I can't find it right now, but there's a thread on the errors in the Bentley as well as one on Wilson's. Many don't matter much, but some, like that overtorque on the rocker stands in Wilson's will change your weekend. His distributor drive instructions are a big challenging as well.

Thats what notes in the margins are all about! Things like adding in the torque values where you need them so you aren't flipping pages around smearing greasy crap on the manual or typing on the phone looking for info while wedged underneath the bus with the manual propped open next to you lying on an unheated barn floor in the dead of winter with that inner voice saying WTF were you thinking?
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered the following:

- How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen air-Cooled Engine (All models, 1961 and up)
- How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot

The bus I'm going to look at next comes with the Bentley manual, so I'm going to hold off on that one for now. I was looking for online reading to keep me busy while I wait for those to ship, and stumbled across ratwell's website again ( https://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html ). This should keep me busy for awhile.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

That'll do fine, consider the idiot book as a last resort if nothing makes sense in any of the other books, it's fun and entertaining, and good for a noob to get their head around basic procedures, but it's written at a time when junkyards were full of good German parts and it wasn't a big deal if you broke something.

Слава Україні!
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
When I redid the bus engine, I went through the Wilson book and underlined the type 4 specifics to make sure I could double check what I was doing accurately.

Great idea!

Thank you.
Single Weber Carb
Zeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That'll do fine, consider the idiot book as a last resort if nothing makes sense in any of the other books, it's fun and entertaining, and good for a noob to get their head around basic procedures, but it's written at a time when junkyards were full of good German parts and it wasn't a big deal if you broke something.

I am certainly a noob, and yes, this book allows me to grab the concepts and overall layout of the game plan. As a noob, this book has helped me greatly, and yes, it is a good read too. I do have the Bently as well which is used after reviewing overall plan from Muir's book.

Based on this thread, I purchased Wilson's book even if I am not doing an overhaul when I drop my engine. I am not knowledgeable enough to embark on this task. But, I realized these reading materials will require several reads.

The same happened when I started reading the Itinerant's thread on converting back to Solex (The Goose:... https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=13619 )

At first, wow I was lost and multiple times I thought "this is out of my league" but by page 4, I was able to follow a few things, and by the end I certainly knew more than at the beginning.

These forums are invaluable! Thank you Samba (and contributors)!
Single Weber Carb
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

I just realized a weakness in my tool kit this weekend. On my 79 westy, it's a 6 mm allen head to get the alternator loose. Throw one of those in your bus along with a long sturdy screw driver, or pry bar. I had a piece of scrap angle iron that worked. If your belt goes you're not changing it on the side of the road if you can't get the altnernator bolt backed off.
Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

or you can get it online straight from VW... Most type 4 related manuals are in German but at a quick glance it seems at least 2.0 L-Jetronic manual is available in English

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

funny not/funny, but an actual owners manual for the year of vehicle you are interested in. Besides the engine, lots of little tidbits of knowledge. You see it on the samba quite frequently. "the answer is in your manual!"
i dont even think you have to buy one. they may be in the tech section .
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Manual Reply with quote

I have found on several occasions the 1980-1982 years covered in the Vanagon Bentley manual to have updated and important information regarding the air-cooled Type 4 engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: