Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

I am thinking of permanently installing a solar panel inside the Westy luggage carrier because we almost never use it. However, on very long trips we put a jerry can and some fire wood up there. Rarely Obviously I can't just put that on top of the solar panel (or can I somehow/).

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a gutter-mount basket that would be tall enough to sit *OVER* the luggage carrier. I know that this would interfere with the solar panel, but we might only cover half the area, or we could supplement with a fold out when stopped. I'm specifically thinking of our long trip to the Yukon where we had 20+ hour sunlight so our power use was actually very low.

I do not want to put a rack on the pop top for aesthetic reasons. THe solar-in-luggage-carrier would be mostly hidden so it doesn't bother us as much visually. I know: picky picky. Really just looking for some ideas.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

Not one solar panel, but two (each covering half of the luggage carrier). In long-trip mode, you slide one panel under the other one, and you have half of your luggage carrier available.
Advantage:
-No extra material (cargo basket, rack, gutter mounts, etc)
-Still produces 50 % electricity on those long trips
Disadvantage:
- Only half of the rack available for storage
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

VicVan -- yes that's a perfect plan! I knew I was looking at the wrong end of the hose and over complicating things. Now I will have to do some thinking on how this all comes together.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

Thule and Yakima make hi rise towers that may or may not, it looks close for these Thule towers, extend over the luggage carrier. Alternatively, you could put artificial raingutters on the luggage rack and put bars and a basket up there.

The big drawback is that the rack would cast a shadow on your solar panel and significantly reduce yield.

FWIW, YMMV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, that's a decent reference photo. I agree about the shadow being a problem on the whole setup.

I will size two 50watt panels and see if that would work, and then I can pull one down and use a portable panel if I need to use that space for anything else.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

I'm doing the same..installing 100w solar in the luggage rack
And going to modify a roof basket to fit nicely on top.
Here's my Yakima's.

sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo Basket *OVER* Westy luggage carrier? Options? Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
I'm doing the same..installing 100w solar in the luggage rack
And going to modify a roof basket to fit nicely on top.
Here's my Yakima's.

Kombi, will you post when you get your setup sorted? The Yakima's could be solution for us, thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: