Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro SVX clutch Problems
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro SVX clutch Problems Reply with quote

WillSharp wrote:

I'm still getting some minor mystery vibration in 3rd gear at 2k rpms but that seems to have diminished from what it was. Maybe a fuel thing? Waiting to see if it gets worse.

I would say any driveability issues in 3rd gear at 2k rpm should be ignored. I know SVX engines have good power but 2k rpm in 3rd gear is definitely lugging it and out of or on the very bottom of the torque curve. At that speed, I would try and train yourself to drive in 2nd gear. Just my opinion.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro SVX clutch Problems Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
WillSharp wrote:

I'm still getting some minor mystery vibration in 3rd gear at 2k rpms but that seems to have diminished from what it was. Maybe a fuel thing? Waiting to see if it gets worse.

I would say any driveability issues in 3rd gear at 2k rpm should be ignored. I know SVX engines have good power but 2k rpm in 3rd gear is definitely lugging it and out of or on the very bottom of the torque curve. At that speed, I would try and train yourself to drive in 2nd gear. Just my opinion.

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking. Helpful to hear it from someone else.
Its got a very tall 3rd and 4th (1.09 3rd and 0.70 4th) so the jump from 2 to 3 is pretty big so it always seems like you hit the bottom of 3rd when you shift.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro SVX clutch Problems Reply with quote

If your trans doesn't have "oiling plates" you can see 3rd gear with a borescope camera thru the filler hole.
Bluetooth units are available for less than $50.

Noise or mystery vibrations are never good.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro SVX clutch Problems Reply with quote

With your gearing, 2,000 rpm and third gear puts your rig in the speed range where the hard-to-fix (in some cases) drive shaft vibration occurs. If I recall correctly, I can experience this vibration in the 30 to 45 mph speed range. It is just noticeable and does not sound or feel as though any damage to bearings could be occurring, so I just live with it.

The low-power symptom often observed on the SVX engine at low revs can, in addition to a dirty MAF sensor, be connected with a worn Throttle Position Sensor. In my rig, I need to rapidly push the accelerator to the floor 5 or 10 times before a cold start or else the TPS will not work until the engine is warm. For some reason, the TPS begins to function once the engine is warm. I suspect the carbon traces in the TPS are worn.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro SVX clutch Problems Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
With your gearing, 2,000 rpm and third gear puts your rig in the speed range where the hard-to-fix (in some cases) drive shaft vibration occurs. If I recall correctly, I can experience this vibration in the 30 to 45 mph speed range. It is just noticeable and does not sound or feel as though any damage to bearings could be occurring, so I just live with it.

The low-power symptom often observed on the SVX engine at low revs can, in addition to a dirty MAF sensor, be connected with a worn Throttle Position Sensor. In my rig, I need to rapidly push the accelerator to the floor 5 or 10 times before a cold start or else the TPS will not work until the engine is warm. For some reason, the TPS begins to function once the engine is warm. I suspect the carbon traces in the TPS are worn.

Driveshaft vibration is a very good point, that I had not thought of. It’s got a fairly new one (GW I think), but the vibration definitely is around that speed zone (35-45mph).
Maybe I’ll yank it out and see if it still vibrates without it.

You may be onto something with the TPS on the SVX with is conveniently no longer produced by Subaru.
I cleaned and adjusted the tps according to the FSM a few months ago tracking down a high idle condition. Reads 0 on obdII scanner at idle and throttle % responds immediately when the pedal is depressed, but that’s not to say It couldn’t be glitching.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: