Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Needs Your Opinion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

Well they are notorious for dropping valve seats in the summertime here in the Phx heat. But this is a really harsh environment for air cooled Volksies of any ilk, and buses especially, if they are daily drivers. Idling over 200Deg asphalt in stop and go traffic is a killer. Type 1 bus engines typically lasted ~80K back when I was running my '68. Type 4s are better but have to make sure the cooling system (ALL tin) in tip top shape.
maverickxv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

covelo wrote:
Welcome to the 1980 corner of the forum! I have owned mine for almost three years now and want to clear up a few misconceptions from this thread:

1. Unless you are a speed demon or carry a ton of heavy stuff, an unmolested air-cooled Vanagon does not have to stay in the local flatlands. I take mine camping in the Sierra Nevada at least 4-5 times a year and have never experienced any problems, even when loaded up with kids, dogs, and groceries. I even took it skiing this winter. I do not have a CHT gauge or any other way to monitor engine temperature (except for touching the dip stick). I do avoid driving full throttle for long periods when it is hot outside.

2. Mine gets smogged here in Marin County every year and it always passes with no problems. As long as the van has the original equipment, it is not too difficult to get it to pass.

3. I also had the dreaded kitchen rust (huge mice nest that was no fun to deal with) but it really was not too bad. Took about a weekend of kitchen removal and assembly and a weekend of cleaning and rustproofing. It helps if you are in California where rust moves more slowly than in the rest of the country. It also helps that I am not a visual perfectionist. I use my bus all the time and don't plan to take it to shows or sell it on BaT.

I am glad that you are planning to keep your 1980 stock!

--Hans

Great to hear Hans, I am in Hayward and that has where the van has been the last 5-6 yrs, my initial inspection most of the rust is superficial. The rest, my welder will fix. A restoration will def be easier and sounds the best for this rig.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

maverickxv, the peloquin is absolutely worth the money if you’ll be taking it off road. I’ve had my 2wd down some pretty gnarly forest service roads that wouldn’t have been possible without it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

While the peloquin is awesome, if you're building to sell and the peloquin won't increase the selling price enough to pay for the part or the time to pull the trans.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/engine-and-drive-...ir-cooled/
Something I saw when last visiting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

I got my air cooled 1982 Westfalia in 2012 with 100k miles on it. I’ve put 35k trouble free miles on it since then. That being said, I am also in the middle of swapping a Subaru engine into it. Love the car, and it is an extremely clean Westy but going over mountain passes at 30mph with semis on my tail was too stressful. Plus the lack of quality parts for the type 4 makes the engine a dead end in my opinion. Hence why I’m ditching my type 4 before it needs a rebuild.

But the subie swap in the air cooled is turning out to be easier than I had expected. I had to source a few parts from water cooled vans but it’s really not awful.

Either way if you’re having fun, then that’s all that matters. They’re expensive to keep and maintain, but I’ve made some of my best memories with my van and hope you have a similar experience with yours!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

Expensive to keep and maintain..............

I paid $4500 8 years ago for my rust free 2WD tiptop. With rebuilt WBX and Matt Steedle tranny and all the obvious stuff for what a fire free 30 year old '91 needs, now have about 15ish in it. That's under 2k per year. Show me a new car which costs under 2K per year.

Duncan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

maverickxv wrote:
Gentleman, I can rebuild it
I have the technology
I have the capability....Lol

So my question: Is going Bionic Man on an air cooled T3 a waste of time? I would hate to hear "It looks good but I really want a waterboxer" when I try to sell it.

I remember the salty VW techs I worked with back in the 90's hating water boxers and I have seen enough of them with cooling issues. I am not sure if those opinions matter nowadays, that was another era. I also know the Type 4 L-Jet air cooled motor is a bit underpowered and not very tunable.

Maybe an air cooled L-Jet Westy is desirable?

So I am asking you all, the community, what do you think? Should I make it exceptional? Or just make it solid and sell it to a happy new Westy fan because it's aircooled?

I will share my build as much as possible, if I go the Bionic Man route. If people want to see that?

I think most people would be interested in your build, should you take it on.

IMO, the air cooled Vanagon audience is likely small. As I'm sure you know, an engine conversion can open up a can of worms, but, nearly everything required to convert to a water cooled engine, can be "bolted on".

A functional heater can be a make or break deal in some climes.

IMO, most Westy buyers want a nice looking van that starts, steers, stops, camps w/o issue. i.e. a truly 100% functional van. They don't want to worry about the LP system, they want the fridge and stove to work "every time".

Were it me, I'd focus on those aspects even if I didn't do (attempt in my case) a full body restoration. Things like fog lamps, E-code headlights, steering-suspension upgrades or work, a new 3 window tent, 15" or 16" wheels, new tires are things most any savvy Vanagon purchaser would easily notice or at least appreciate.

Something to consider: the old school "wood grain" camping interior may have a limited aesthetic appeal.

In camping season, or just before, a nice looking clean truly 100% functional Westy would likely be an easy sell.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Expensive to keep and maintain..............

I paid $4500 8 years ago for my rust free 2WD tiptop. With rebuilt WBX and Matt Steedle tranny and all the obvious stuff for what a fire free 30 year old '91 needs, now have about 15ish in it. That's under 2k per year. Show me a new car which costs under 2K per year.

Duncan

That’s actually a great example. You’ve spent 200% of the purchase price of the vehicle to replace the engine, transaxle, and all the other stuff to make it reliable. I feel like that is exactly what someone should expect when buying a 30-40 year old car.

I know it’s all relative. When compared to my other vehicles, our Vanagon requires the most attention by far. But, we have modern Japanese cars as our daily drivers.
maverickxv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

Update: It's been over two years but I took most people's advice and decided to keep it stock. I rebuilt the front end (ball joints/wheel bearings), working on the shifter. The motor is new, still shiny under there but it is getting a new cat and muffler, battery, fixing the electrical things. I stripped it down and had bodywork done, now I am just waiting for a cash influx to get the paint done. Then it is getting everything new on the exterior rubber, handles, and lights from Bus Depot all in a box waiting for install. I also rubbed out and cleaned the top, it looks great. Here's the body work'd Westy ready for paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

Sweet! That's a labour of love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

connor_warren59 wrote:
You’ve spent 200% of the purchase price of the vehicle to replace the engine, transaxle, and all the other stuff to make it reliable.
Unfortunatly, there is a flaw in your analysis. The work RELIABLE is not in my T3's vocabulary. Not yet anyway. Still a ton of things to replace and repair. Like the really rusted T for the rear brake lines just above the tranny which can only be seen with a mirror unless you have a tranny hatch like I do. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to see the rust and it wouldn't be fun driving down the road and have that T disintegrate.

High on the priority list.

Duncan
Backtotheeightiesagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Your Opinion Reply with quote

I have the same bus in daily use till recently. Like old houses old buses always need work to keep them going. Going stock maybe easier/reliable /definitely best resale price.
Just don't expect to go fast and expect to do more driving (think ahead/gear changing).
I the beginning seems like you wanted to engine swap.
Vw missed a trick early on. The diesel bus came out with the same block as a rabbit gti.
However being engineers not one to take shortcuts the waterboxer came about. Also a 2.1 with 112bhp(as rabbit).
End of production in south africa, water cooled inline 4 and 5cyl=lesson learned!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: