Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to take a closer look at my recently purchased 64. The PO had indicated that there was a recent oil leak and based on the location of the leak, he thought it was maybe the front main seal.

Well, after taking a closer leak, it appears to be a leak from the transmission. Based on what I see, I have a good idea where to start.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've only driven about 5 miles or less since I have owned it.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Change the swing boots and refill. Split type boots should have the seem up at 10:30 or 1:30, not facing down.

Also when you fit them, jack the wheel up and put a 1/2" extension in between the swing arm and the stop on the side plate. This will hold the axle close to run geometry, so that the boot is not stressed when you tighten up the outer clamp. It will also provide clearance off the frame rail, to position the boot.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

The seam on the split boots should be at 3:00 or 9:00 so that they flex properly.

I would also recommend using some kind of sealer like Form-A-Gasket along the seam as well as on both sides of the boot where it goes around the axle.

You are missing the tubing that connects your heat exchanger to the body, in case you're wondering why you don't have heat. Very Happy
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The seam on the split boots should be at 3:00 or 9:00 so that they flex properly.

I would also recommend using some kind of sealer like Form-A-Gasket along the seam as well as on both sides of the boot where it goes around the axle.

You are missing the tubing that connects your heat exchanger to the body, in case you're wondering why you don't have heat. Very Happy

Yes, I noticed this. The heater cables are also cut. You might barely be able to see them in the picture. Hopefully, have some heater tubes in a box somewhere. If not, they aren't hard to find.

Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
Change the swing boots and refill. Split type boots should have the seem up at 10:30 or 1:30, not facing down.

Also when you fit them, jack the wheel up and put a 1/2" extension in between the swing arm and the stop on the side plate. This will hold the axle close to run geometry, so that the boot is not stressed when you tighten up the outer clamp. It will also provide clearance off the frame rail, to position the boot.

This car is lowered quite a bit in the back, and I might just leave it that way. I am guessing I should put the wheel on and roll forward and then back to get the wheels into their proper position, and then based on that angle, make sure that the axles are in that position when I install the boots?

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

My detent plugs were missing/deteriorated which caused my transmission leak.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

I'm still in shock from seeing the split near the bottom !!!! What rocket scientist thought that doing that, and going against what the repair manuals all state, was a good idea????

I'd also clean up the terminals on the starter solenoid.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm still in shock from seeing the split near the bottom !!!! What rocket scientist thought that doing that, and going against what the repair manuals all state, was a good idea????

Maybe they wore their wristwatch backwards. Very Happy
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Rotate the boots around and reseal them. I also recommend some axle flange stiffners. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741359&highlight=
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

I have a '64 that had an oil leak for decades before I bought it and I tend to agree with this. Once I finally removed the transmission and cleaned it with a putty knife and then a pressure washer - all the detent plugs were completely missing. What a mess.

Also, do the following:

remove the back seat bottom, and open up the shift coupler access pannel next to where the VIN# is on the tunnel. If the front seal is leaking on your trans the whole bottom of the tunnel will be coated with oil. Mine was.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Murdlem wrote:

This car is lowered quite a bit in the back, and I might just leave it that way. I am guessing I should put the wheel on and roll forward and then back to get the wheels into their proper position, and then based on that angle, make sure that the axles are in that position when I install the boots?

One thing to be aware of if the car is lowered...The massive rear wheel bearings are lubricated solely by gear oil that makes its way down the axle tubes to the bearings. On a stock height car, the axle tubes naturally sit at an angle that lets gear oil flow to the bearings.

If the car is lowered too much, the rear axle tubes will sit at an angle that keeps gear oil from flowing down the tubes to the bearings, starving the bearings of oil and leading to failure.

If that is the case with your car, you would want to either un-lower it or replace the rear bearings with sealed bearings.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

x2 !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: