Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SA grille repro?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

Hi,

I do have to confess that the SA grill grown on me. As they are out of production for some time now and original cost is prohibitive for me (if you can find some) I was wondering if you heard about that someone is planning to bring a reproduction?

The lower grill is available already.

You can get a used one in SA, but the shipping is making it not really good deal.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: SA grill repro? Reply with quote

There was a used one in the Samba Classifieds for $800.00.

I'd rather hand carve one out of wood then pay that price!
Hmm...mahogany or cherry d'oh!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: SA grill repro? Reply with quote

I've heard that they're too big to 3d print?

You could make your own:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430&highlight=lowbuck+sa

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: SA grill repro? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I've heard that they're too big to 3d print?

You'd have to print it in pieces and assemble/finish afterwards...though you could maybe get a full one out on one of these -

Link

joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

vik wrote:

You can get a used one in SA, but the shipping is making it not really good deal.

How does one get a used on in SA?

I never had a chance to buy a SA grille when they were still being produced. In my opinion, they are the best look possible, and you always know when you see a van with a SA grill that it is treated incredibly well.
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

Make your own SA grill. Bought a used $40 grill, acquired a set of Hella 500 driving lights, used a Dremel tool to carefully cut out the holes and then had Samba member Unibagel 3D print the surrounds to cover the cuts. I think my cost ended up being around $150. The only headache was centering the holes and not breaking the louvers with the dremel vibration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Make your own SA grill. Bought a used $40 grill, acquired a set of Hella 500 driving lights, used a Dremel tool to carefully cut out the holes and then had Samba member Unibagel 3D print the surrounds to cover the cuts. I think my cost ended up being around $150. The only headache was centering the holes and not breaking the louvers with the dremel vibration.

Alternate to the Dremel would be a metal can heated with a propane torch to melt a round hole through the grill.
Yours looks great!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:

I know about this option. It reminds me the Taifun grill

They are around €200 used in Germany. I do miss there the VW batch though and as all plastic it is becoming brittle.

joyfulpursuit wrote:
vik wrote:

How does one get a used on in SA?

I never had a chance to buy a SA grille when they were still being produced. In my opinion, they are the best look possible, and you always know when you see a van with a SA grill that it is treated incredibly well.

Scrapyards in general. But unless you will take batch shipping will kill you. Volumetric weight is the challenge.
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: SA grille repro? Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:

Scrapyards in general. But unless you will take batch shipping will kill you. Volumetric weight is the challenge.

Not to be totally clueless but how are you visiting scrapyards in South Africa? Are there websites for SA scrapyards you frequent that you can share with us? (or me in PM, if you'd rather not blast your honey spots to everyone)
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: