Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_dubai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I bought a beautiful 1970 Sunroof Bus in Pennsylvania last year and shipped it to Dubai and made an upside down restoration on it.
The last piece which has to go inside is the interior metal panel which is getting clipped on the sunroof from below.
The Bus came without headliner and the panel was not installed, so I have no idea how this thing and getting it fixed. I know at the front it will be fixed with 5 clips but what about the rest of the panel??

Can someone help?

I attached some pictures from the panel and the inside and the bus Smile

regards
Ben
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

That panel goes in the lower grooves of the guide rails along the sides, it's only attached to the sliding part along the front so the rear edge remains down when the roof lifts up to close fully. It's going to be a challenge to get in now, you may have to remove the roof and put it in first (leave it slid back until adjustment is done). The edges have to be quite thin to slide in the rails, those folds and wrinkles on the corners will have to be trimmed, or pressed down with a very hot iron.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

Nice looking bus!

You might check in this thread for the five clips, I haven't looked recently but I never found any. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548239&highlight=sunroof

Also, you will have to remove the sunroof panel and unmount at least one of the tracks to install the interior panel.
The clips, once obtained, can be added at any time.
72 Baja
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

I see one clip just to the right of the winder handle. Very Happy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ben_dubai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

Hello Busdaddy,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I think I understood it now. So basically the panel is only fixed with the 5 clips at the front and then the sides will slide in the lower groove indicated by the red arrows in below images?

@jakokombi: Thanks Smile I already got the clips and I guess ye I need to remove the sunroof else there is no chance.

Do you guys use any kind of lubricant to make the panel move smoother in the groove or just like that?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

Yes, that's the groove, it may need a little straightening from what I think I see in the top pic below where the roof lifter is parked. As Jako says you can get the lower panel in by removing one guide rail if you are determined, leave the roof all the way back and you can spread things enough to get it in it's slots. You might have to pull the crank out so the cables disconnect to get the roof back a few more inches, it has to go in from the top since it's bigger than the hole it covers below.

As for lube I use silicone spray, grease attracts dirt, spray some in a cup and apply it with a small brush. Spending some extra time cleaning the tracks so they are shiny inside also helps alot.

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T2 1970 Sunroof Bus assembly question Reply with quote

Good job. When you get that sunroof working please post a video here. The national archives might need it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: