Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Another little van enhancement today, a project! Them're GOOD days!

Got tired of stepping on the seat to access the rocketbox. I've been wishing I didn't have to step on the seat for 15 years. And then access got more difficult when I added the ARB awning.

So today I made a step out of stainless steel. It's a little safer too, a better step. And higher, I can reach farther into the box now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Screwed to the van with four #12 sheetmetal screws.

Tig welded stainless steel.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Cool.

Does it easily remove so when you have rear seat passengers they will not be torn up in any kind of accident?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

You could "keyhole" the holes so that it can be easily popped on and off, leaving just the screws in place. Also needs grip tape on the step surface, your local skate shop probably has scraps large enough to cover the whole thing.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

I need a tig. But welding in flip flops,? I just hear the molten blob sizzling between two toes before it blows right through the flip flop to the floor! Smile without the nipped corners a brake pedal pad from something might have made a good cover. Good mod.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I need a tig. But welding in flip flops,? I just hear the molten blob sizzling between two toes before it blows right through the flip flop to the floor! Smile without the nipped corners a brake pedal pad from something might have made a good cover. Good mod.

don't forget the wood floor.

that step should be rounded and padded me thinks. maybe a wood top with rounded edges that thing will hurt if bumped into hard.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

I would just suggest a piece of sticky traction tape on that surface, hardware store item.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Another cool mod!

It's great that you aren't too uptight to put a few extra screws in the van when needed.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Very nice Sodo!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
It's great that you aren't too uptight to put a few extra screws in the van when needed.

I am way uptight about holes. Only did this because it's all hidden behind the armrest. Cool Cool I might change to countersunk though, (this was all done last night after dark).

It's a little narrower than the 'armrest'. Hope it doesn't bother my wife, it's on her side & I will be notified if a problem. Cool Cool But in the past she has expressed concern of risk to the family's bacon as I rustle thru the nether regions of the rocketbox.

I'm a little disappointed in how "heavy" it looks but thats the Stainless Steel that I had. There are no sharp edges. I've been trying to think of different methods but putting all my weight on one step, while carrying stuff with one hand, etc etc etc ....seems like it should be sturdy. I thought about making it fold down, and I might make a new one if it causes trouble. Or maims someone in a horrible accident.

I'll put traction tape on it. It's a whole new ballgame, now I can just jump up there with wet shoes!

alaskadan wrote:
I need a tig. But welding in flip flops,?

Dan then you need to get one. Great fun! Incidentally it's very civilized. No molten blobs, no spatter, just a silent, tiny glowing orb, heat controlled by a footpedal, that melts only what you want to melt.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

I like the idea, and was wondering how I was going to access our carrier in lieu of a ladder. I'm thinking of a tube bracket permanently mounted to seat base, and then a foot step could then be temporarily inserted when accessing the carrier--this would be similar (or the exact same unit) to the bunk steps folks are using with the camper vans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

i access the roof mounted storage via the slider windows. open the windows and step on the bottom rail. no damage to the rail, although I am not a fatty. can step up to the slider window from the front door openings, call it the two step.

I sometimes have kids in the back and they like to thrash about, that step might impale them, id consider razor sharp edges to deter the kids thrashing about, but then Id have to deal with blood stains, of course it would probably only happen once, then they will behave!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Yea, but that would cause everything in the back of the bus wet & slippery.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

I would want it to have a wooden step that was covered with some kind of padding. As is it could really cause damage in an accident or even if someone rolled over against it while laying in the bed.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
and then a foot step could then be temporarily inserted when accessing the carrier

Removable is cool, I like mods that hide. But I'm thinking in practice you would never remove the step. Being able to pick up an item with one hand and climb for the rocketbox (with no extra motions required) is the benefit I've been wanting.

There is no additional danger beyond hurtling along at 75mph in a 30 year old vehicle with no ABS and no airbags. It just "looks sharp" because it's brushed stainless. All corners have been rounded.

Does not seem to be a problem from the bed.
Its 1/4" narrower than the armrest because the bench has to pass by it when folding up.

With the door open I thought maybe you might hook a hip on it jumping out, but it's not 'in the path'. Actually, since there is no OTHER handhold, the natural ergonomic reaction is to grab onto it going in or out, an improvement.

Looking at it in the daylight, I wish it looked more "Westfalia" (painted gray). Nipped corners & stainless doesn't match the westfalia construction style. Anxious to see what you fellas come up with, and may copy yours if thats OK. I glue some gray formica ontop. In use it does not seem like it sandpaper-grip will help at all, because it's small.

What about building a Westy table mount for there? And just step on the socket? It would fit there, and could be built to look like a Westy table mount. Then your table can be moved away from the bins. But it would be pretty difficult to jump in and out of the seat (with a table on that side). The table could swing outdoors, but would be kinda high for outdoors.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:05 am; edited 8 times in total
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Also forgot to say in my first post, Sweet mod. I like it!
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Great idea for a common problem. If you redesigned and rebuilt the entire arm rest though, you could add a concealed step that pulled out and flipped up for use. It would be totally stealth but functional.

I just use my ice chest or sub box or step on the seat.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Sweet mod there.

Just dip it in plasti-dip a few times and call it good.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

The “old” from way back in ‘16.

The new.
I was always happy to have it but never liked looking at the stainless steel angular thing.....

Made a new step from a Vanagon brake pedal.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

Clever and pretty cool looking!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a step to access rocketbox (with slider door open) Reply with quote

That looks like a vast improvement. May I suggest dressing it up for $3.95? (How is anything $3.95 nowadays$ I'm going to buy two just on general principle.)

PRICE: $3.95

https://www.gowesty.com/product/pedals-parts/4190/oem-german-pedal-pad-for-brake-or-clutch

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: