Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

The gentleman who bought my van is an a pickle. The van has a Kennedy swap kit and the exterior parts on the engine (including the computer & intake) are from a 1991 Legacy. The 2.2 long block was from a 1996 Legacy wagon. He has spent an extraordinary amount of energy, time and $$$ trying to get the van registered in California and is only part way through the process. He ended up going to Kennedy engineering today and showing him the van and they told him that a single port EJ 22 will never pass emissions in California, no matter what you do or how clean it runs on the treadmill. (He has not been able to schedule an appointment with the emissions referee yet as the guy has been out for 2 months with Covid.)

Does this sound legitimate? Sound ridiculous, but this is California we are talking about and the state would prefer to dump every internal combustion vehicle in the ocean if they could. (My brother tried to register a 1975 455 / 4-speed Trans-Am there from Colorado and it was an absolute nightmare.)

I am trying to do the right thing for this guy but I was completely forthcoming with him with the sale, including the information about the engine swap. Bottom line......think very long and hard if you live in California and want to buy an out of state van with a engine conversion.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

Did you represent the van as being carb emissions compliant?

I don’t think it’s your problem.

Caveat Emptor.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

The KEP EO is for '90-'95 dual port ej22 motor. They need an early longblock.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

He will need to meet 1996 emissions standards ( easy) and equipment ( difficult and could be impossible)

Help him resell it in the 49 states for good karma.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

'96 is OBD2. That isn't gonna pass smog, the referees have a sticking point at not passing them, anything other than a full KEP EO kit is an issue.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

As far as actually measuring the emissions, I don’t see why it couldn’t run “clean” enough. As far as getting through the California process, I have no experience with that. From the stories here, some post no problems, others have the complete opposite problem.

Gobs of money is relative. Perhaps a good used wbx engine and get it legal in California. Then regroup.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 Subaru. Registered in CA for 22 years. It is possible.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

I sure would like to know more about this. The only OBD2 Subaru conversion that I know of documented here on the Samba is in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

As for your situation, Colorado Yeti, I don't think Kennedy ever made a single port exhaust. You will not get BAR approval under the Kennedy Executive Order without using all of their parts.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
Did you represent the van as being carb emissions compliant?

I don’t think it’s your problem.

Caveat Emptor.

this

also it seems to me his efforts are probably better spent finding a more "friendly" inspector than re-engineering the conversion to pass. or, selling the van and finding one thats already CA legal.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
dgbeatty wrote:

I sure would like to know more about this. The only OBD2 Subaru conversion that I know of documented here on the Samba is in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

As for your situation, Colorado Yeti, I don't think Kennedy ever made a single port exhaust. You will not get BAR approval under the Kennedy Executive Order without using all of their parts.

Yup, it was time consuming to get the prototype documented, tested, and BAR'd.

Then covid happened.
And the harness manufacturer that was lined up had a change in business model, and decided to place a minimum of ten harnesses at $2k each.
So I'm making my own harness with minimal/almost no chassis cutting to preserve the vehicle and using OEM and Mil Spec connectors, which has upped the cost to the point of being too expensive for most.
But I feel it is worth the cost: Electric throttle, cruise control, modern AC, etc.

Onwards and upwards.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

With all due respect, 22 years ago - anything was possible. When I did my 2.2 Subie 18 years ago, my Syncro passed with NO Kennedy parts whatsoever and a muffler from a Dodge Viper.

Without an Executive Order from the state of California, the only chance you have of passing a 2.5 in 2021 is dumb luck. There is no such thing as a "friendly" inspector anymore and besides, even if you got it through once - you're gonna have to do whatever you did all over again every time you smog check unless you live in one of the smog-exempt counties in CA.

If you're Mom happens to own a smog station - you are all set. Otherwise it's a big roll of the dice without an EO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port EJ22 - California Emissions Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I did not represent that the van was CARB emissions compliant. It has always whistled through Colorado emissions without any problems. I know it is not my problem as I did not mislead him, but I still feel sorry for the dilemma he is in. He may have the ability to register it in Colorado as he has family here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: