Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexter0944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

I'm the process of building a street legal style rail buggy. a 4 seater with a donor VW title/vin. I emailed the OTC a couple of days ago asking about what requirements were needed to be street legal I told them this too: (I It may be titled a VW Beetle or similar since they used a donor one to build the whole dune buggy.) and got the following response:

"Good afternoon,

The State of Oklahoma does not title or register dune buggies and they are not considered street legal here and cannot be made street legal.

Tiffany"

So am I just out of luck or does anyone else here from the OK state have an input/tips/tricks? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by vexter0944 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Okhlahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

Might have better luck back in mo with the location in your sig.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604078&highlight=
vexter0944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Okhlahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Might have better luck back in mo with the location in your sig.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604078&highlight=

Have moved out of state, although I do have family back there who might register it for me and allow me to borrow it a lot...it's a thought. My guess is OK won't let me drive it here even if it did have a MO plate/registration.

I wonder if I might do better showing it as a kit car or something like that??
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

My understanding is , if its legally registered in one state, you can drive it in all, drive through, drive into and go touring, but be careful about getting caught ‘living’ there.
It’s a lot like marriage licenses, if its good back home, its good everywhere. Why that doesn’t carry through to guns and carry licenses, I do not know.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

Might look here........ And don't call it a "dune buggy", call it a "kit car" or "custom fabrication" or "special constuction"....

https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_OK.pdf

Above is a sub section of...

https://www.semasan.com/resources/titling-registration

Trying to reuse a VW registration on a no longer identifiable vehicle as a VW is major problem in many states.... Many state require something registered as a VW to visibly look like a VW....

And you have to know more about registration process the drone behind the counter you are dealing with....And don't volunteer to much information it only confuses them...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
My understanding is , if its legally registered in one state, you can drive it in all, drive through, drive into and go touring, but be careful about getting caught ‘living’ there.

Yes and . . . no
Yes states honor (do not ticket) other states current registrations (tags) - via reciprocal agreements.
and
No, if the vehicle is not 'equipped' properly / legally for the state a person is driving in they may still be pulled over and possibly ticketed.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

Call it a "Special Fuel Use Reduction Test Vehicle" to help combat Climate Change!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

If they don't have vehicle inspection in OK then find a rural DMV, keep your trap shut and only reference it as an old Vdubya. Too much info will scare them off. And Pray ya get a older lady, comment on her pictures or make small talk. These poor people deal with some straight assholes everyday, a kind person is a rarity and they are more likely to help one.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

here in California there are DMV handlers that can walk your vehicle through the hoops if there is a possibility. they know what forms and paperwork to deal with it. it costs a pretty penny but sometimes the only way to get it done. check with you local hot rod guys and car swap meets. Good luck and don't call it a sand rail.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oklahoma Street Legal - Can It Be Done? Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
here in California there are DMV handlers that can walk your vehicle through the hoops if there is a possibility. they know what forms and paperwork to deal with it. it costs a pretty penny but sometimes the only way to get it done. check with you local hot rod guys and car swap meets. Good luck and don't call it a sand rail.

That's crazy and to think, it's right next door to Arizona. Why can't States be more similar? Here in Arizona .........using a home assembled aka built sand rail as example........you have to take it to DMV for a Level Three Inspection. That's where they make sure it has lights, wipers, horn, etc. etc. They never checked any of that stuff though. All they did was walk around and look at it. Then they asked me where I wanted the VIN sticker.

Then it's off to an Emission test run by the State. Mine had no computer so basically, if it runs without smoking the place up it passes. Then it was back to DMV to get my plate. That's it! It was street legal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: