Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

So looked at a wife mobile because she likes subarus and I have a smile in my face if you know what I mean hahahahaha

Whats the newest model that can be swaped in a Vanagon?

Thanks my friends!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

I don’t have your answer but you at least recognize that the Vanagon engine “upgrade” selections are largely aging platforms themselves.

Sure, you get a couple more ponies under the bed but you only advanced a few years in technology.

From what I gather, today’s engine management is so mixed up with the entire vehicle that you can’t simply remove the management part of the controls.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Look at vanaru and smallcar. Smallcar reports up to 2012 and vanaru 2011.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Subaelectronics in Australia makes a very nice canbus eliminator. With it you can install an FB (current) direct injection engine if desired. Zoom zoom.
http://www.subarugears.com/subatronics/index.html
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

rogertj wrote:
So looked at a wife mobile because she likes subarus and I have a smile in my face if you know what I mean hahahahaha

Whats the newest model that can be swaped in a Vanagon?

Thanks my friends!

I cant answer your question directly, but i couldnt be happier with my 2000 2.5 subie in my 87 syncro westy. Pretty straightforward install by myself. After driving the pathetic 2.1 since 1996, what a freaking difference! I live in the mountains and have interstate speeds of 80mph limit. Driving a 2.1 is a major road hazard. I dont do 80 but at least doing 68-72 keeps me in the safe zone, and hilling pulling power with the occasional passing of semi’s. The newer conversions seem to be quite a bit more involved what with the drive by wiring etc... i like simple, 2000-2004 seems to be good years for thus conversion
Lastly get your transmission rebuilt by a reputable builder and keep the stock gearing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

you at least recognize that the first two Vanagon engine “upbraid” responses are largely aging platforms themselves.🤣🤣

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Im still smiling if you know what I mean!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Popcorn

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

I recall up to 2015ish with someone doing a DIY Canbus eliminator but never sharing.
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

do you all think very soon that and EV motor & Tesla battery pack may be a good fit? More torque, power, smaller package and no worries about the plumbing?

the software management may be the biggest hurdle....

EV West seems to have all the answers.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Boxer Rebellion wrote:
do you all think very soon that and EV motor & Tesla battery pack may be a good fit? More torque, power, smaller package and no worries about the plumbing?

the software management may be the biggest hurdle....

EV West seems to have all the answers.

if you want to drive in a circle, yes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Now we're derailing from the original topic, but I'll bite.

I don't have a whole lot of context, and am admittedly a fan of Tesla, but I can see vanagons becoming prime candidates for EV swaps by 2030. Tesla's battery tech will continue to improve at the mind-boggling rate it has been the past few years, and 500/1000 mile batteries will be the standard. EV stations everywhere will be standard.

I'm here for it. Imagine one day having a fully self-contained solar powered electric westy. That's mind boggling to me, but I do think I'll see it in my lifetime. At that point, vanagon pricing will only go up as a new lifestyle movement takes over. But I digress....
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

2021 because the 2022s arent out yet.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
Tesla's battery tech will continue to improve at the mind-boggling rate it has been the past few years, and 500/1000 mile batteries will be the standard. EV stations everywhere will be standard.

Really not particularly mindboggling. It is however mindboggling that people think a car which has a drastically reduced range if you it cold, or hot, or if you need lights, or AC, or well anything and will tolerate a range that makes drives to grandmas take three days each way. The people who really like them (not just the thought of them) are usually on the west coast for a reason.

If they ever make golf carts capable of actually replacing a car, I will be in. The range has to be 500-750 miles IN THE WINTER WITH THE HEATER, LIGHTS ETC running.

Maybe light hybrid would work though. MOST of our trips are only a few miles. Run battery for the first 30-50 miles then turn on the TDi.

Quote:
Imagine one day having a fully self-contained solar powered electric westy. That's mind boggling to me, but I do think I'll see it in my lifetime. .

Correct you won't see it in your lifetime or any lifetime because there just isn't that much power in sunlight (at least the amount that hits the roof of a bus).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

The 88 Caravelle we have is getting a Subaru transplant in the coming months. The choice is either EJ25 or FB25. I'm due to speak with the guys at CoastVW in North Devon, UK, about what the best way forward is. Personally I'd prefer to go with a newer engine, so leaning towards the FB25, however I will rely on their best judgement and experience before making a choice.
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
Now we're derailing from the original topic, but I'll bite.

I don't have a whole lot of context, and am admittedly a fan of Tesla, but I can see vanagons becoming prime candidates for EV swaps by 2030. Tesla's battery tech will continue to improve at the mind-boggling rate it has been the past few years, and 500/1000 mile batteries will be the standard. EV stations everywhere will be standard.

I'm here for it. Imagine one day having a fully self-contained solar powered electric westy. That's mind boggling to me, but I do think I'll see it in my lifetime. At that point, vanagon pricing will only go up as a new lifestyle movement takes over. But I digress....

I'll derail even further! Wouldn't it be interesting to leave whatever infernal combustion engine in the back, then use Syncro parts up front to get drive to the front wheels via an electric motor? Solar panels on the roof, batteries under the floor and there's bound to be someone smarter than me that can get the thing to charge the batteries as you're driving along on Dino-juice!
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

I think 10centlife mentioned that the syncros forged 'spindle',(or whatever the front wheel bearings carrier is called) is the only part of doing a front electric conversion he couldn't figure out. Any takers?

Who knows a forger?

Maybe VW saved the forging stamps? So many VW e-Stuff being trademarked now (e-Thing, e-Karmann) I wouldn't put it out of the running!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what battery performance I should expect on a 10 year old cycled Tesla battery in -30F weather at my cabin in the Adirondacks? Will I be able to charge my iPhone to play tubes while I wait for Spring?
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Subaru yes Subaru! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: