Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:
I'll derail even further! Wouldn't it be interesting to leave whatever infernal combustion engine in the back, then use Syncro parts up front to get drive to the front wheels via an electric motor? Solar panels on the roof, batteries under the floor and there's bound to be someone smarter than me that can get the thing to charge the batteries as you're driving along on Dino-juice!

Most Syncro stuff would not be needed. You would only use the uprights and hubs. Replace the diff with another motor like the dual motor Teslas.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Isnt that the technology that TSI engineering motors from VW are using? disable two pistons when they are not working and engaging the 4 of them plus the turbo when needed? Has someone done the TSI?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GinnyCoyne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me if a Subaru FB25 engine has the same bolt pattern and shape as a Subaru EJ engine? I want to order an adapter kit but wanted to check here first...

Thanks!!
Ginny
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: So whats the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
Now we're derailing from the original topic, but I'll bite.

I don't have a whole lot of context, and am admittedly a fan of Tesla, but I can see vanagons becoming prime candidates for EV swaps by 2030. Tesla's battery tech will continue to improve at the mind-boggling rate it has been the past few years, and 500/1000 mile batteries will be the standard. EV stations everywhere will be standard.

Musk said that the new battery modules will be part of the main body structure on the new models, this way they can avoid re using them as spare parts. Any damage will be a write-off.
They are so "environmentalist" that they are against being able to repair your stuff.

To OP:
With new aftermarket engine management systems like Haltech you can run almost any petrol engine that fits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

GinnyCoyne wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me if a Subaru FB25 engine has the same bolt pattern and shape as a Subaru EJ engine? I want to order an adapter kit but wanted to check here first...

Thanks!!
Ginny

Hi! The mechanic doing our syncro conversion is fitting a syncro gearbox to the FB25B we have ordered. They said it would fit without issue, but I don't know which adapter kit they're using.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the newest Subaru Swap that can be done? Reply with quote

GinnyCoyne wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!!
Ginny

a quick google suggests theyll physically bolt up the same...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: