Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

Wow, I removed it but did not notice any fuel in it. That one picture could be a shadow?
I poured gas into the float chamber & the float came up then went down as the bowl emptied.
The fuel line is disconnected so how in the world could the fuel be squirting into the throat as you see it in the pictures?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

You could have a crack in the casting. Can you see exactly where the gas is entering the throat of the carburetor?
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

Sorry I thought that was my picture.☹️
It’s floating at about a half inch below the top. If I press the float down it then runs into the throat. Right now it sitting steady.
Darn, I popped the plastic piece out & it flew into never land!
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

Jpg, when I push the float down the gas rises in the bowl, it then runs over in a tube over the throat. Could that plastic piece that clips the float in (was in backwards) cause that to happen when the carburetor was together?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
Jpg, when I push the float down the gas rises in the bowl, it then runs over in a tube over the throat. Could that plastic piece that clips the float in (was in backwards) cause that to happen when the carburetor was together?

Yep!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

I found the plastic clip😅. The float bowl needle has been in cleaner all morning. It was closed and not falling open (although its new).
I’ll put it back together and try again!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
Wow, I removed it but did not notice any fuel in it. That one picture could be a shadow?
I poured gas into the float chamber & the float came up then went down as the bowl emptied.

You misunderstood. I was trying to say the pic with the yellow float showed fuel in the float (bad). I was not suggesting your float was bad only that you should check that it was not full of fuel.
There are three types of floats: hollow metal floats filled with air; hollow plastic floats filled with air and solid foam (nitrophyl?) floats that have a density less than gasoline so they float.
The yellow float is hollow plastic. Your float could also be hollow or it could be nitrophyl foam. I can't tell from the pic. Nitrophyl can over time become saturated with fuel and start to sink
Just because the float moves up and down with the fuel level doesn't mean fuel hasn't leaked inside. Check.

glennj3cub wrote:
The fuel line is disconnected so how in the world could the fuel be squirting into the throat as you see it in the pictures?

I don't see any pics of fuel squirting??
The carb and engine run off the fuel in the bowl not on the fuel in the lines. As long as there is fuel in the bowl the engine can run (at least at idle). The fuel pump, float and inlet valve are responsible for maintaining the level of fuel in the bowl so it doesn't run dry. The level also need to be high enough (3/4" from the top) so fuel flows out the venturi at higher engine rpms. So even if your fuel pump were to fail, the engine could continue to run for a few min just on the remaining fuel in the bowl... at least until the bowl ran dry.

The accelerator pump circuit draws fuel from the bottom of the fuel bowl. As long as there is any fuel in the bowl the accelerator pump will pull fuel and squirt it out the brass hook nozzle.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

I’m so frustrated! It seems every time I work on it I have other issues pop up. Bear with me please. I have never gotten it running satisfactorily.
Today I replaced the top of the carburetor after cleaning the float valve (it’s no longer sticking). Gas is not flowing into the throat. The large one is turned out 3 full turns. The small one is turned out 2 1/2 turns to begin. It would not run. I found # 3 plug wire inside of the distributor corroded. These are less than a year old. I cleaned it & the others are clean.
I got it cranked & running after holding the gas pedal on the floor for a while. It just didn’t run well. It was skipping. I began adjusting the small screw turning it inward with the tachometer on. It sped up and got smoother as I leaned it.
After getting the RPM to about 880, the small needle was only 1 turn out from bottom. So far I’ve had to set it very lean like this for it to run!
I did a short drive and it was bad, skipping & some backfiring.
Back to ground Zero for tomorrow.
Is there something else I need to check or adjust on the carburetor? I have the choke correct. Maybe I need a new carburetor? I just don’t know what to do!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

Yes!!!!!

CHECK THE SPARK QUALITY!!!!!!!!

I have asked about it several times. Poor spark acts like an overly rich condition. Which represents what you have going on.

At start up, low voltage to the coil will result in poor quality output from the secondary. It could be as simple as a corroded connector or even a burned ignition feeder from the ignition switch. Really common!

Get a spark checker and keep spark quality.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

I'm with VW_Jimbo, check your ignition.

Somethings you can try to isolate an ignition problem:
    Using your battery jumper cables and a jumper wire power the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal directly from the battery. This ensures the voltage is as high as possible. If it makes a difference it suggests your coil is low on voltage due to wire resistance between the battery and ignition switch circuit.

While the car is idling (800-1000rpm), remove a spark plug wire from the distributor cap, one at a time. As you pull the wire you should see a spark jumping between the cap and the wire end. As you continue to pull away the spark should stop. Listen for the idle rpms to change as that cylinder stops firing. If a cylinder is not firing pulling the spark plug wire from the cap makes no change in the engine sound. You have identified a bad cylinder. Investigate why it is not firing.
    Repeat the test with the engine rpms up around 1500rpms. This is a test to confirm the cylinder is firing. If the cylinder is not firing at idle and at 1500rpms it is dead. If there is a spark jumping between the cap and the wire but there is not change in engine sound when you pull the plug wire far enough away it may be a bad spark plug or a lack of compression in the cylinder.

Remove the spark plugs from the cylinders and install then into the end of the plug wire. While you crank the engine, ground the body of the spark plug and look for a spark jumping between the two plug electrodes. You can use the jumper cables to hold the spark plug and ground it at the other end. This confirms that the spark is making it all the way to the spark plug and jumping the plug gap. Test each spark plug.

What color are the sparks? The coil should be generating 15KV pulses which should appear as blue-white sparks. Yellow-orange sparks are weak. This could be caused by low voltage or a bad coil.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, Solex carburetor adjustment Reply with quote

I apologize fir not responding back sooner. Lots of things to try to keep up with. I just read your responses.
So I’ll say what I did. I ID ‘s # 4 plug wire had slipped from the plug (I’m not sure when that happened but I assume when I was removing the ac compressor). It would not run with that wire off. I got her running and began pulling wires from the distributor cap. One had corrosion on it. After not getting her to perform right I replaced the carburetor with a fake (but good looking) Solex H30/31 picture. The adv said it was a Solex (same) but when it came in I see no name or # on it. It was cheap so I put it on and set it as good as possible.
It’s driving pretty darn good but not perfect. But it does crank up easily every time. No more nasty smells. I had to return and edit. I forgot to say about the mixture. The small needle is out only 3/4 turn. This is where the old one liked to be. The large one is 1 1/2 turns out. The old one had to be out about 4 turns but never was functional well.
Though I know I should remove all of the plugs and test them. I could hardly get to the ones on the left. I just removed to ac hoses now I can get my hand back there!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: