Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To keep OG paint or not?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

To OG or not to OG?
To OG
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Not to OG
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a '63 standard project that I was told had original paint on the main body, doors, hood, and decklid. I believe it is pearl white L87. Has a nice uniform sun-weathered appearance to it that is growing on me.

I will be doing some rust repair on a lower A pillar, which shouldn't be a huge problem blending. However my dilemma is I do not have the original rear fenders, and the original front fenders are in rough shape. What is the consensus these days on having 65-75% original paint, while the rest is faux and blended to try and complete the look? After all, its only (75%) original once.

Alternatively, I would like to re-paint it Champagne Yellow which was not a factory VW color but a Porsche color and was curious as to how this will affect the value.
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

To each their own, it's your car. I'm a fan of keeping the OG paint, but my wife is not. So, her bug will be repainted and mine will be OG paint. I don't think it changes the value to much unless you have a rare original form of a car that is numbers matching and a purist's dream. To us average guys, painting just means you are a couple thousand deeper in a car that won't really change in value. From my experience, an original car in great shape is worth the same as a restored car in great shape, especially with today's prices and interest.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

I'd try to preserve it and either find fenders in the right OG color or repaint a set "aged" to match the rest of the car. A total color change is a loooot more work and expense if you're going to do it right.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I'd try to preserve it and either find fenders in the right OG color or repaint a set "aged" to match the rest of the car. A total color change is a loooot more work and expense if you're going to do it right.

I completely agree with the above. My .2 is to not do a total color change. You may not care, but In my opinion it will ruin the cars resale value. Most people today are looking for og cars, with og paint.
If you cant do an aged blend like what uberalles said, then I would do a repaint in the factory color.

EnjoyNukaCola, I also recommend posting up some pics of the car.
I think you will get some better responses once everyone has seen the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

I honestly don't care about resale value.... for me this is a hobby, hot a business, so I just do what I like, what I feel comfortable with and what my pocket allows! my 2 cents here: I tend to not modify the car. If structural improvement has to be done, then I do it. But I try to keep as much of it as is. I believe the car itlsef is a written book, in which any dent of previous labour done is a chapter of it. I see my ownership as a preservation chapter of the partcular story it tells. Not from a purist point of view... For example, my actual beetle is a frankenwagen. Oval chassis witl complete oval mech, driven in 1980 past the border to a VW workshop for an "update", where it got a complete body swap for a big window version. I even have workshop invoice for material and workmanship...
I can locate a period correct Oval body and get rid of that brazilian shell, but I would be erasing the last 40 years of its life. So even being a frankenwagen, I find it appealing and interesting, So my goal is to keep it as is, even if an Oval body would double its re-sell value... as said before, I'm not into business, just fun and enjoyment of these old little beauties....
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

leowagen wrote:
I honestly don't care about resale value.... for me this is a hobby, hot a business,

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I by no means mean resale value to flip it, but resale value as an overall investment over time. These cars are going to keep going up in value as the years go by. By keeping them as original as possible, ie not repainting it a non factory color, etc, you have a much better chance of getting top dollar for it in the event you must sell it to fund another project, or for some other unforeseen reason. Times have changed, and people are not clamoring over the custom painted cars like in the past. They are wanting unmolested clean og cars.

In the end, absolutely to each their own, EnjoyNukaCola, your car....do what makes you happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Photos... yes of course check it out.

Not looking to keep it forever, so its a compromise of what I like and what will sell. Thing is it's just not all there and PO began replacing some trim pieces before I came across it. Interior would be mostly a restore.

Came with a fairly strong 1200cc but I have a 2180cc that will go into it. With that being said retrofitting a transaxle from a more modern German car is in the works for reliable fun, so its far from original in that aspect. OG paint will definitely classify it as a sleeper, while a proper repaint and resto would add some 356 vibe to it. There are some beautiful early models that are far from original and selling for over 30k recently.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

It’s only original once.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Paint it yellow.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Seen a lot of patina cars. Not a fan, really. But yours doesn't look too bad.

Max
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Your dash is deluxe, not a standard or the Standard Custom model. A Standard or Standard custom model dash has a Kilometer speedo, a pull cable hole and a cable on the rt side of the ash tray for a manual choke. The chrome trim on the dash is non existent on the Standard custom and standard models. You have holes for the passenger assist bar, the standard and standard custom have no assist bar. You have a dished steering wheel, the Standard model would have the old long steering column and a three spoke steering wheel, the Standard Custom would have the the long steering shaft and the 56-59 deluxe steering wheel. The Standard and the Standard Custom models do not have a gas gauge and even though they use the new type fuel tank they have a reserve tap and lever. Your vent wing support appears to be chrome, standard and standard custom are painted body color and so is the vent window frame. Your car has rear passenger "B" pillar assist straps, standard and standard custom do not.

Does your car have seat tracks? Standard and Standard Custom models do not, they have two studs per front seat coming up from the floor and are fastened to the tube part of the seat with a claw and wing nut/ also the pan will have eight welded in plug snaps for the old style floor mats to snap over.
Does your car have door dome light switches? there are none in Standard and standard custom models. FYI the 1963 engine for the Standard and Standard Custom models is the fresh air 36hp and will be used until the end of production 1965.

As far as paint goes. I would paint it and take any color from the 1963 color chart for deluxe cars.
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

I had the same quandary with my 62 Porsche 356. It came to me from the original owner in the original Champagne Yellow paint, interior vinyl and rubber mats.

The paint was in some places 'crusty' (I like crusty), a bit blotchy, but not rusty and needed some protection in other places. The balance of things was that, after a clay bar clean and a light buff most of it came up pretty well. Some viewers still said, "Why don't you repaint it?" But you can't please every one.

In your case, I like the suggestion of finding some aged fenders in the same colour. Alternatively if painting go the original colour

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: To keep OG paint or not? Reply with quote

Hi,
my brothers (left) and my (right) 1961 pearl white ragtops:

The cars are almost identical, with the exception that I had mine repainted when I bought it in 1987 because there was too much welding and damage. My brother bought his in 1992 and lets it show its now 60 years old OG paint with a lot of touch ups and reworked zones.
Comparing these two I think it is a matter of personal preference: My brother´s Beetle looks authentical but worn and in some edges a bit nasty. Mine still looks quite clean and nice (some spots of course are there because the "fresh" paint is 34 years old) but it hides some its history from before I bought it.
I like both styles and think you should decide freely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: