Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk 6t6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm) Reply with quote

hey there folks, random question to the knowledgeable out there...

anyone know how a 100mm fuel cap is put together? is it a press fit or are there any crimps / rivets / spotwelds that arent obvious on first inspection?

anyone ever taken one apart and managed to put it back together without butchering it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pic for ref

reason i'm asking is i've had one chrome plated and it seems to have trapped some rather nasty fluids between the different layers of metal that is now seeping out / eating its way through the metal...

so was thinking of trying to split open one, chrome the outer shell and then reassemble...

anyone managed to split one???

(o\ ! /o) 54 58 61 66 (o\ ! /o)

"Its like jazz... either you get it or you don't... "
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm) Reply with quote

I tried making a less junky 80mm cap from one that was pretty beat up by separating the halves. I used a tiny screw driver to pry the outer layer out enough so it would come apart. As far as I can tell, it looks like assembly was sort of a mix between a swaging operation from the inside and a bottle capping operation from the outside. Unfortunately the cap I experimented with I never got to crimp back on tight enough so the layers kind of spin. I’d recommend not trying to disassemble. I thought about trying to make some 3D printed tooling to re crimp the halves but way to busy right now.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm) Reply with quote

There is a recent thread which has very good detail about what is inside the 100mm fuel cap. A quick search should find it.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm) Reply with quote

Here it is!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344886
uk 6t6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: How is an early oval fuel cap assembled? (100mm) Reply with quote

Ah great thanks must have missed that, blimey there's a lot inside there no wonder there's space for the liquid to get trapped...

(o\ ! /o) 54 58 61 66 (o\ ! /o)

"Its like jazz... either you get it or you don't... "
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: