Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed shifter help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

We bought a brand new Vintage speed shifter (from vintage speed) and after install, the bug will not shift into 1st or 2nd without using the reverse lockout. I have tried to make as many adjustments as I could with the lockout plate but no dice. Prior to this new shifter it had a scat drag fast shifter in the 67 and it worked perfect, in fact I can put the old shifter in and it works like a charm. Anyone have ideas?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

Box the new shifter up and send it back.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

Is your shifter plate underneath installed correctly?
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Box the new shifter up and send it back.

Due to other issues I no longer have the box and bought it over six months ago, it just took me this long to get to it. I pulled out the hack job interior the last owner put in our 67 and it took this long to finally get all the components, COVID realted slowdowns I guess. I reached out to vintage speed and it was a new one for them.

Last edited by InDaWeeds67 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Is your shifter plate underneath installed correctly?

Yes it is, all I can think of after looking at a couple others is that the shifter plate was cut to tight. So, it does not have any real adjustments available to it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

You didn't mention the model of your shifter, but maybe these instructions will help?
https://www.paruzzi.com/pdf/520.pdf
The instructions speak of a (horizontal) base set screw and after loosening this you unscrew part of the base. Have you tried this?

InDaWeeds67 wrote:
... the bug will not shift into 1st or 2nd without using the reverse lockout.

This sounds like you need to slide the base of the shifter further to the right. This will allow the shifter to get into the 1-2 gate w/o activating the reverse gate lockout. If not the entire base see if you cannot move at least the lock out plate to the right.
Maybe after adjusting the base as suggested you will have more room to make adjustments.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. There is a thread here on the samba dedicated to seller feedback for Vintage Speed:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

The head of vintage speed himself has replied to many comments in that thread. He is a member of the Samba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=66595

Try giving him a shout - seems like a pretty standup operation.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

Your shifter sounds like it is misaligned. Loosen up your shifter and try to run thru all the gears. Then tighten it back down.
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed shifter help Reply with quote

I got it working, however, I did have to remove about an 8th of an inch of material from one side of the shift plate. I did it slowly to ensure it still has smooth shifting but still requires the reverse lockout to get it in to reverse. It is a great shifter so I was bummed with the issues but as with anything vw, it may not always be as "bolt on" as the original.
The quality of the shifter still makes it worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: