Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Crossbar
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

I searched the forums, didn't find what I was looking for really. I've set up this linkage a handful of times in the past, but this time I've run into a problem that has me scratching my head. I have it set so that both carb arms leave the idle stop at the same time, but the 1/2 side reaches WOT at least 3mm before the 3/4 side. I've monkeyed with it in various ways and haven't been able to solve this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Hard to tell from here, but it looks like you have a spacer under the upright linkage arm only on the drivers side?

The linkage arms need to be at the exact same angle looking from the back, AND looking from the side. They will swing in different arcs if the angles aren't the same.

The length hole center to hole center, on the small arms attached to the carbs also need to be the EXACT same length.

Brian
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Loosen the set screw on the 1/2 side arm. Slide it towards the center about 1/4".
Tighten setscrew and re-adjust pushrod.
See if that helps, or hurts.
Tweak accordingly.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Do yourself a big favor and get rid of those flimsy throttle levers and get some of these CB true position levers for $35. Money well spent. Not only are they more strong, but they are also likely something that fixes your issue.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6460.htm

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Also, I have found that the 3-4 side throttle arm has a tendency to flex due to the extension. I have solved it by having 2 throttle arms on the 3-4 so it becomes stiffer.
- Ohh, Jeff beat me to it. Those are nice. Never tried those, but they will be on my next shopping list fershure.
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

I've had this happen on a set of IDFs. The issue for me was the throttle lever. It was loose because it was old and just worn. So the arm/lever would move independent of the actual shaft. Not much, but enough to present the problem you are describing.

Your carbs look relatively new/rebuilt so I doubt that is the issue but figured i'd throw it out there just in case.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Here’s a closer pic of the 3/4 side. The spacer is needed with non-offset IDA manifolds. Also, I wouldn’t call the throttle levers cheap. They are stout. I got them from JayCee. Still working on it. Will post pics of what I did if I fix it.

croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Loosen the set screw on the 1/2 side arm. Slide it towards the center about 1/4".
Tighten setscrew and re-adjust pushrod.
See if that helps, or hurts.
Tweak accordingly.

Tried this. It accomplished nothing. I’ve tried all kinds of different settings and nothing has worked. I’m about to elongate the holes so they are more like a slot so that I can try different down bar lengths.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

The linkage lengths have nothing to do with it. It is all arc swing geometry. You have some linkage angles that are not correct, or your full throttle stops are not the same and making it look off.

Look at the vertical linkages from the side. Make 100% sure they are the same front to back angle. I have never seen one of those spacers the correct length out of the box.

The angle finder in an iPhone works well for this kind of thing. Also check the side to side angle with the angle finder. Tiny angle differences make a big difference.

Brian
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

What do the butterflies look like when you hit the full throttle stop? Are they both the same or one a bit behind just like the linkage?

I'd loosen and remove the throttle arms on the carbs and compare one to another-is one longer or is the installation hole ovaled out allowing different starting angles?

I had one that had a stress crack that I could not see that caused the problem.

Last edited by 74 Thing on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Another suggestion is to throw the cross bar linkage away and get the CSP Bellcrank linkage,
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Do yourself a big favor and get rid of those flimsy throttle levers and get some of these CB true position levers for $35. Money well spent. Not only are they more strong, but they are also likely something that fixes your issue.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6460.htm

To bad there is not a solution like these for IDF'S (and clones)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Providing that your geometry with the angle of your rods are the same on both sides, one thing to look into which I have seen a few times is the clocking on the outer arms, I have found some that were casted off and that were clocked in a different position than the opposite side allowing one to open sooner than the other one by a few degrees, allowing 1 carburetor to open Full Throttle sooner than the other side .
There would be an easy way to check this, remove the hex bar and loosen the arms and slide them together and look down the middle to see if they are both in line or if one is clocked off from the other.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Did you check the flat arms that mount to the shaft? Are they exactly the same? Do they fit tightly on the shaft with out the nut being tightened or is there play? Those are just stamped metal and may be off just enough for a 3mm error at 3cm out from the center pivot point. I don't think I've ever had one that did not wiggle.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

I don't know how to multi-quote on this site so I'll answer questions the old-fashioned way and give an update -
Nothing wrong with the throttle arms.
I checked the outer arms/flat arms. Nothing wrong with them. They are mirror images of one another, and they fit tight because I added a set screw so that they can't wiggle.
BUT, here is one thing I've found,,,The down rod on the 1/2 side angles in a hair more than the one on the 3/4 side. I can add spacer washers between the heim joint and where it bolts to the throttle shaft to flatten out that angle to more match the 3/4 side and see what happens.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
I don't know how to multi-quote on this site so I'll answer questions the old-fashioned way and give an update -
Nothing wrong with the throttle arms.
I checked the outer arms/flat arms. Nothing wrong with them. They are mirror images of one another, and they fit tight because I added a set screw so that they can't wiggle.
BUT, here is one thing I've found,,,The down rod on the 1/2 side angles in a hair more than the one on the 3/4 side. I can add spacer washers between the heim joint and where it bolts to the throttle shaft to flatten out that angle to more match the 3/4 side and see what happens.

Yes. This is what I mentioned a while back. I usually trim the 3/4 side spacer down to keep the leverage off it, rather than space the other side out more. Either way accomplishes the same thing, I just don't like the extra leverage trying to twist the throttle arms.

Brian
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Maybe using a protractor or angle finder to make sure the down rods are vertical when viewed from behind and then at the same angle when viewed from the side.

When I had neither I would cut a piece of cardboard and use as a template so one side matched the other.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Here's what I did to solve this issue. It seems a bit extreme, but given all the other possibilities, and trying all the things suggested by all of you marvy people, here's what I did. On the side that wasn't reaching WOT I slotted the hole the other way. I put a split washer between the nut and the arm to lessen the possibility that a slippage could occur. It solved the problem. But, I've found a new one that I'll post in a new thread.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
Here's what I did to solve this issue. It seems a bit extreme, but given all the other possibilities, and trying all the things suggested by all of you marvy people, here's what I did. On the side that wasn't reaching WOT I slotted the hole the other way. I put a split washer between the nut and the arm to lessen the possibility that a slippage could occur. It solved the problem. But, I've found a new one that I'll post in a new thread.

Two springs?.... Two springs on other side too?.... That is garbage, you have deeper problems than what you are seeing and your fixes are not solving the deeper issues.... Probably only making things worse....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Agreed That much return spring is hiding another issue. Take the throttle cable loose and see if it returns nice an easy with only one spring. Lots of guys have a tendency to pull to hard on the throttle cable while hooking it up. Then it always wants to pull a little bit. A little slack in the cable isn't a bad thing.

A good, stable idle that returns to the exact same spot is 10x more important than getting that last 1/16" of throttle travel.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: