Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Crossbar
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Bet if you changed the angle of the spring to match the rotation back to idle, you would need only one. Your current angle is \ while it should be / on the right side and / when is should be \ on the left side.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Sorry to alarm y'all about the use of two return springs. It was an experiment that did NOT work. I took those springs off after some monkeying with it. The other "issue" is that for some reason I'm unable to reach WOT using the gas pedal. It needs more travel. I opened another thread re. this.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

A CB linkage like that I came across was mystifying the owner .. until we discovered that the bearing in one end of the hex bar was worn oval.

So as you opened the throttle, one end of the hex bar lifted up maybe 1/16 inch ..enough to cause popping and imbalance.
The true root cause was the lever from the end of the hex bar was hitting the filter base as it went down to WOT , and this destroyed the bearing.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Yes, check the slop in your heim joints and replace if necessary and do the same to the ball socket joint at the end of the hex bar. There are plenty of fixes for that since they do wear including
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2390952
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

The bearing kit really makes the cb linkage reliable. I can take the carbs off, linkage all apart, put it back together and its still adusted perfectly. Its reliable and never sounds like 2 cylinders are off like many other linkages. Hot or cold, idle or full throttle its in perfect sync through the complete rpm range.

Also, the id of the Steel CB bar is 5/16, and so are standard skate board bearings. Bruces kit works great as is, and uses a slightly larger id bearing with a stepped bearing axle dowl. I just turned down the large end to 5/16 so i could install some old school original Swiss Bones Bearings. Skateboarding and HP aircooled always went hand and hand in my hood, so its a perfect fit.

If anyone is abit broke to spend the $110, youl could use 1" aluminum bar and turn the id to match the od of the skate board bearings, and use 5/16 round stock for the axle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Maybe empi did something right. Zoom on the linkage that the throttle cable hooks to. Multiple choice.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

wow, who does work like that Shocked
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud...wouldn't it be better to have a hollow tube of larger diameter? it could be relatively thin-walled, and lighter than the bar. No more side-to-side flex. More room for bearings, too. Not sure I would use a sealed bearing, though, those things are stiff, but maybe I'm exagerating. And, of course, there are no ready-made arms or parts (yet Laughing ).

Hmmm....(eyes neighbor's bike's frame).

I'm a fan of center-pull-pull; but the factory used both. Now that i think of it, that's what the factory made, a hollow tube ! (when does a tube become a pipe?) The extension on a stamped slab of steel never made me comfortable. It's probably fine, but it looks flexy to me. must look that way to CB, too. Neat product!

Funny: 4 aproaches have been used:

-center pull-pull
-center push-push
-center push-pull (Kadron)
-cross-bar
-cross tube
-Berg
-bowden cable
I didn't include drive-by-wire ( but one of you out there must be doing that, I'm pretty sure)
-attached to factory fan (Porsche)

I won't count the Porsche as different from the Berg, but that still leaves 7 different aproaches...and, I guess about 70 years have passed, and still no concensus? Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: CB Crossbar Reply with quote

yep I use a tube, and heim joints for bearings. It's very easy to make.
weld nuts on the ends, studs&jam nut in that, goes in heim joint.
Almost the same as the new CSP design.

On my 60' I have CB aircleaner bases, the bearings are reversed.
I don't particularly like the CB bases, but it works so I leave it alone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: