Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OCTO!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: OCTO! Reply with quote

I MADE IT! That's my bus in the front. What a blast. Oh man, I've never seen so many busses in one spot. So cool. And I finally got to meet some of TheSamba people in real life. Let's see, I met NorCalNick (that's his bus next to mine) and some of the guys riding with him; Eric G, Vanhag...who am I forgetting (sorry)? I also met Crofty, Gibbs (Uzi), Everett, Jen, Splitpile, Jerry and Melissa Jess, PyrOman, OpenSunRoof, HotDogFred (& crew). Man, who else? I'm sure I'll remember later (getting old Cool ). Anyway, she ran pretty good. PyrO helped my adjust the mixture on the Kads. She was pretty lean. Much better now- Thanks PyrO! The alternator is definitely shot. There's always something, eh? Man, driving home (84 miles) last night in LA traffic in the dark. Shocked I cruised at 60 and folks were just blowing by me! You know what it's like driving these busses...like driving a billboard down the street in the wind. Laughing I'm glad to be rolling again! Thanks for your assistance and patience (with questions) as I worked on her.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

God Bless,
WesleyWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sWeEt Pic!!!

I'm there next year for sure! Surprised
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed Bus...ive been following your trek through this forum and Im happy that you were able to make it. That is a great picture you have posted.

It looks like next summer I am going to have to take my annual vacation during this time and drive one of my buses out to see OCTO.

BTW, my 65 loves that owners manual you sold me last winter...thanks again.
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

what a great time had by all i'm sure!awesome turnout,awesome show.the fact that it was at huntington beach instead of the pond wasn't a big issue like i and others thought.parking for all!!!anybody have an acurate "split count"?...........Louis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the tribalbus at the classic this morning. didnt see it at octo. i may not have been looking hard enough for it...

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was there i swear :oops:can i get a witness? Wink parked directly behind the 2 barndoor deluxes there in the second row.because i was behind them there is a very good possiblity that i will be in a mag as one of those "background buses"woopee!!!! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tribalbus wrote:
Quote:
i was there i swear :oops:can i get a witness?

He was there! I met him in the swap area today. Nice bus Louis!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's '63 23 wrote:
Tribalbus wrote:
Quote:
i was there i swear :oops:can i get a witness?

He was there! I met him in the swap area today. Nice bus Louis!

Scott

why thanks scott!yours is nice as well!oh by the way scottt looks alot different in person compared to his avatar.musta went to the groomers! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks iubhounds! I was thrilled just to be there. Glad the manual worked out! I'm so happy to be rolling. I've taken any excuse to drive it today! Church, Target, parts shop, pick up some milk for the kids...LOL

Scott, I saw your bus. VERY NICE! Saw your crazy av in the window. I saw some folks looking at your bus. As I walked by I heard them talking about the pic, not the bus. LOL But your bus is truly something to talk about.

OpenSunRoof, I saw your bus, too. I remember it because you have your mirors sideways. Real clean. I checked out some pix of your bug as well. Looks to be show quality. Nice rides.

Hope everyone gets home safely. Glad you all had a good weekend...I DID!
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed Bus,

Hope to see you next time. It was a fun two days. Just before I left the Classic I talked to a guy who caravaned down from the Bay area and when he came over the grapevine on Friday, his left rear wheel broke loose from the axle. He was towing a tent trailer and because he was lowered, the wheel stayed under the well. He lost his brakes and miraculously made the first offramp coming down the hill. He was towed all the way to the Christmas Island campground where he worked on his bus with the help of others and with parts from OCTO that he picked up on Saturday. He finished his repairs last night and made it to the Classic just in time. His son also drove down in the caravan and was freaked out by what his dad dealt with during the accident. His dad was contemplating running his bus into the offramp guard rail to slow him down, but managed to stop partly by the wheel jamming the axle and and the other rear wheel hanging up and skidding down the road.

I worry every time I smell something in the air when I'm driving, thinking it's something burning on my bus. I can't imagine what I'd do with a trailer pushing me down the grapevine with no brakes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed Bus
It was great meeting and talking with you. As far as the mirrors go all I can say is at least I can see when I make a lane change Smile . I'm glad you had zero problems with your motor to and from OCTO. It's too bad you couldn't make the Classic. This weekend was VW overload.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great weekend for us also, though I'm starting to realize why it is that quite a few people were doing the OCTO but not the Classic.

This OCTO was my best one yet. I scored a prime location for my camper display and we also scored a corner piece of real estate for the club's bus & booth! Very Happy Having more help within the club also allowed me to actually get to see the rest of the show and enjoy it as well. Thanks guys! Razz

The Classic was pretty cool. I think it was the biggest I've attended, prolly reason for the "sardines" comment. IMHO, though I know it is no picnic puting on a show of this magnitude, the "orginizers" could have done a bit better. One obvious issue is the fact that the participation is already outgrowing the area set aside for the show. Having such a vast lot, they could have tried to set aside a bigger area thus allowing a bit more spacing inbetween show cars, not just the buses... obvious BUS bias aside. Embarassed

All that said, being the 20 anniversary for the Classic I was not about to miss it! Razz
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

The Classic was pretty cool. I think it was the biggest I've attended, prolly reason for the "sardines" comment. IMHO, though I know it is no picnic puting on a show of this magnitude, the "orginizers" could have done a bit better. One obvious issue is the fact that the participation is already outgrowing the area set aside for the show. Having such a vast lot, they could have tried to set aside a bigger area thus allowing a bit more spacing inbetween show cars, not just the buses... obvious BUS bias aside. Embarassed

All that said, being the 20 anniversary for the Classic I was not about to miss it! Razz

opps what I meant to do was to agree with you. Getting up to pay was completely unorganized. They had people handing out flyers all the way back to the freeway, while I think that these people could have been used to organize two or three lines to enter. It took me 85 minutes to get in. I feel real sorry for the people I waited with on the right hand side to enter. That lined moved so slow and I really didn't get going until I jumped lines.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Blessed! And I see you got the coveted spot right next to NorCalNick!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you went to the VTO campout this past weekend you found a little excitement that was not expected.

We all pulled up at around noon only to find the Orange County sheriffs department blocking the road with some big @## firepower. Turns out some guy went off the deep end and shot an employee of a nearby recycling plant befoire taking cover in the campgrouind. When the sheriff showed up he got hit once in both shoulders. While we were there one of three helicopters with sharp shooters onboard made an emercency landing right near us because the pilot was hit in the foot by another bullet.

There was an active running gun battle for four hours before the SWAT team finally brought him down fataly in heavy brush. Apparently hundreds of rounds were fired on both sides.

The campout was moved a couple miles down the road to another location that has been used before.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a way to get a few OCTO shirts? I was there but I forgot...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see if I can hook you up with someone.

Can't believe you was there and I missed you!?! Shocked Musta been looking for a "different" bus! Embarassed
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great time. Patrick Hall doing the 4 hour complete stock to slammed suspension overhaul right there at the show was the shit. Compressor, welder, generator. Man that fool is outta control. Like a fast food drive in for suspension work right on the spot. He wanted to do a barndoor at the classic. Maybe next time any takers?

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSkim wrote:
great time. Patrick Hall doing the 4 hour complete stock to slammed suspension overhaul right there at the show was the shit. Compressor, welder, generator. Man that fool is outta control. Like a fast food drive in for suspension work right on the spot. He wanted to do a barndoor at the classic. Maybe next time any takers?

That was one of the highlights of the weekend, for sure.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSkim wrote:

Hmmm....

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: