Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting Reply with quote

Ok - I’m still not making any progress. I removed the fuel line from the carb and did as Abscate suggested and checked the flow. Steve, you suggested I should see at least 200 ml in one minute but I saw 200 ml in about 15 seconds.

After that I opened the carb again and put all the original jets back in place. The engine runs fine at low RPM’s but bogs or shuts down when I ask for more fuel. I adjusted the mixture screw and saw very little if any difference in the way the engine ran. I really hate the single carb and have a set of Solex duals for eventual install but they’re not ready.

In my five years of bus ownership, this is the first time the bus has been stranded in the garage.

Any thoughts about what my next steps should be?

Thank You.

Last edited by Whaanga on Sat May 01, 2021 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting Reply with quote

Go back and triple check your plug wire order after that work, and that your vacuum advance is functioning.

After that, you will have to tear into the carb and find theplugging....ugh
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting Reply with quote

Sounds like it might not be carb or fuel related. You've changed and replaced lots of things, and it's still the same.

I'd move onto distributor. Mechanical advance, points, etc. Runs at low rpm but not high rpm....

Good luck.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting Reply with quote

OK - Here's what I've done so far:

1) checked/cleaned the screen in the tank
2) replaced the fuel filter
3) pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them

After these two steps, the engine would run at high RPM for about 2 minutes the it would buck and bog

4) changed the secondary and primary jets
5) replaced the needle valve

After this, the engine could not run at high RPMs

6) swapped out the new jets with the originals

And still, the engine was not able to run at high RPMs

I'm still working to understand diagnosis principles - I can see how the fuel system can get dirty and needs to be cleaned. But how can the timing elements change? And how do I evaluate the various components? Do I pull the dizzy and check the points (gap, cleaning?) Rotor? Cap? How do I check the timing when I can't get it to high RPMs? I know I've thrown a few parts at this, but am trying to learn to diagnose instead of swapping parts.

Thanks
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stall, no start, start, losing power, Single Carb Jetting Reply with quote

After a couple of weeks, I was able to replace the fuel pump. Aeromech, I took your advice and installed the Carter inline pump connected to the relay switch you recommended.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put the new pump where the old one was (near the tranny nose)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm very glad to have it wired properly no and no longer have the pump connected directly to the coil. I'm glad to say that it fired right up and worked properly. However, I found it very frustrating that the same condition still exists and I am not able to get the engine to run at hight RPM's. The engine continues to run smoothy at idle but when I open the throttle, there is no power.

Is there a possibility this might be a vacuum issue? Recently, I've noticed an unusual behavior occurring with the brake pedal - it makes a popping-type sound when the brake is applied and the engine is running. The pedal tends to push back up in small 'notches' that correspond with each pop. I have a stock servo that was rebuilt by a reputable shop last year.

I've had my bus for five years and this the first time it has been sidelined. What other factors should I consider?

Thank You.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: