Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

I suppose I could have just as easily referenced noise as well as vibration in the title. Anyway, I've always ridden vintage motos and driven vintage autos. In fact I've had only a few "modern" (1980s) automobiles as daily drivers my entire life. I just like all the creaks, rattles, gear whines, exhaust rumbles, and engine vibes of vintage machines, it's that simple.

It used to be that no motorcycles had counterbalancing measures at all; motorcycles back then broke down just as often as they ran, too, I realize. Technology progressed, metallurgy improved, machining tolerances improved, and bikes became reliable (thank you Japan). In that vein counterbalancers started becoming standard, especially on single cylinders; then, eventually, counterbalancers became the standard altogether. Everything got liquid cooling, and things got pretty quiet mechanically.

Yet despite these modern comforts I find vintage enthusiasts such as myself LIKE all the old vibrations and racket of things like Yamaha SR500s and Volkswagen Beetles. I definitely like reliability rather than breakdowns, but a vibey air cooled single cylinder motorbike hits all the right notes for me, and a hot rodded solid mount Sportster or Meriden Bonneville does, too; and what could possibly be more endearing than the clatter of a VW Kombi or exciting than the rasp of a Porsche 911.

But *modern* folks complain about such vibrations and noises. Especially the vibrations. I understand motorists these days, and for at least 30 years or more now, have been exposed only to "comfortable" machinery. If such people do ever enjoy a noisey vibey motorbike it's almost exclusively as a weekend recreational experience, they don't want such a machine as a daily driver grocery getter. I get really excited for people when they do enjoy the weekend track day experience of a restomodded BSA Gold Star or a restomodded Porsche 914, I'm not even trying to get them to join my luddite cult by using such machinery for their office commute during the week.

Why is it some people like me even exist these days? I'm only in my 40s, so it's not like I can be nostalgic for a time from before the standardization of counterbalancers or the advent of liquid cooling or the discovery of sound deadening interior padding.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

I have a 67 Karmann Ghia. I am dialed in to every squeak, squawk and smell. It's part of the overall vintage experience. The period correct radio is just an inoperative prop.
I also have a 2012 GTI I bought new. It's been smooth as silk. Once the low profile tires wear down the road noise levels become unbearable to me. Also, I recently discovered a slight laterally bent wheel that has induces a subtle vibration. It's driving my crazy. I have a replacement wheel on it's way. I expect my modern cars to behave in a more civilized manner Smile
Car makers have found that some dislike the natural engine noise and have created a synthesized version that they think is more pleasing. VW's system is called the "Soundaktor". There is info out there on how to disable it.
I suppose one persons music is another's noise.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

I don't like it when my car Green Bug gives me vibrations I don't normally experience. Those are the bad kind.

I do like it when certain members of the opposite sex give me good vibrations. You know -- the kind the Beach Boys sang about.
"I'm pickin' up good vibrations Laughing
She's giving me excitations (Oom bop bop)" Twisted Evil

P.S.
You have my sympathies because you live in Downtown LA. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

These two would agree.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Wow, and I though posting about the clothes dryer would cross a line...
Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Apologies to snowflake

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Vintage National Lampoon, it’s probably on the forbidden list now. Watch someone get all upset over it.in the 70s they were selling this to kids.

Popcorn
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Randall wrote:

P.S.
You have my sympathies because you live in Downtown LA. Crying or Very sad

I thank you for your sympathies, sir. However! I actually love Downtown Los Angeles, and I actually live here by choice. I am entirely an urbanite, and as far as I know the only major urban center in all of the USA that affords a dense urban living experience, 10-12 months per year of good motorbike weather, easy access to seven different mountain ranges, legal lane splitting, and a vintage petrolhead culture that is tantamount to religion...is Los Angeles.

Setting aside the insanely leftist politics, the outrageously holier-than-thou virtue signaling of Hollywood, the astronomically high cost of everything from food to fuel to taxes, and the hordes of drug addled and mentally ill homeless, SoCal is a petrolhead paradise, especially for enthusiasts of vintage metal.

Given the jaw dropping downsides listed above, I do admit since my life revolves around old automobiles and motorcycles I am irrationally biased toward the positives of Los Angeles. I mean, where else is the niche subculture of air cooled vintage motoring practiced with the fervor of seeking Jesus?

I know it sounds completely impossible, but from my home in Downtown LA I can reach either paved twisty sportbike roads or dusty mountain dirtbike trails in 30 minutes or less, no exaggeration.

Every road and trail featured in this episode of MotoGeo I can reach from my house in DTLA in 30 minutes or less. This was filmed in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Link

This episode features a Norton Dominator being railed through the Santa Monica Mountains, a range reachable from Downtown LA in only an hour.

Link

And in this episode the campsite seen beginning at 17:30 is so close to Downtown LA that you can see the lights of DTLA in the background at 17:45; this ep was also filmed in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Link

Last edited by nicholastanguma on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Ahhh........I was young once. Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Ahhh........I was young once. Cool

Back when zombies roamed the earth.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

Doesn't matter to me, just as long as they are good vibrations, oom bop bop
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

some people are totally clueless to their surroundings as well as their cars. but many seem to find the beer just fine.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

nicholastanguma wrote:
I know it sounds completely impossible, but from my home in Downtown LA I can reach either paved twisty sportbike roads or dusty mountain dirtbike trails in 30 minutes or less, no exaggeration.

I'm no biker, but I have been driving Angeles Crest Highway since the 1970s. One time in the '90s I drove my Type 3 Notchback the 60 miles from the Highway's start in La Canada to Wrightwood. It was a weekday, and during the entire trip I didn't pass a single car and no one passed me. No more than 10 cars went past me going the opposite direction. That was a dream drive come true.
https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/califo...wrightwood

We now return you Sambanistas to our regularly scheduled topic: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Wink
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Do Vibrations Bother Some Drivers But Not Others? Reply with quote

[quote="Randall"]
nicholastanguma wrote:

I'm no biker, but I have been driving Angeles Crest Highway since the 1970s. One time in the '90s I drove my Type 3 Notchback the 60 miles from the Highway's start in La Canada to Wrightwood. It was a weekday, and during the entire trip I didn't pass a single car and no one passed me. No more than 10 cars went past me going the opposite direction. That was a dream drive come true.

You sound like my kind of airhead! I extend a digital handshake with this entirely relevant Jalopnik video. Enjoy!

Jalopnik Investigates America's Greatest Secret Road

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: