Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's everyone using for a tachometer?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Just curious what you volksers are using for a tach.?
Looking at mounting under dash near ash tray maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

I did some research and decided on Auto Meter. I'm happy with my purchase.

https://www.autometer.com/2-tach-5-000-rpm-in-dash-z-series.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

All my gauges are ETB Instruments
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

VDO

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

+1 VDO

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

The 2 1/8 vdo w/igniter 11. Had to use a diode to get it to settle down and quit bouncing around.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

VDO, has worked fine since purchasing it in 1977.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

If you want a cheap tach that works I’ve been using this bosch tach for about 5yrs it reads within 100 rpms of my actron tach and its only $32 at tool discounter.
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

VDO 52mm unit, in the car since 1972
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Currently my ears. And shift points on speedo. But I did buy a cheap ebay Tach and haven't gotten to putting it in yet. I will someday just gotta figure out where I want it. Probably going to be under the glove box with oil temp and what not.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Your not going to rev over 5K without a lot of mods if you want the motor to last so a tach isn't needed other than show as you can feel when the car has run out of poop.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

I rev past 7000 alot!!!

Here is a picture of it sitting when I was still breaking the motor in. I set the redline needle at 5000 to be safe for the first 500 on the motor. It now resides at 7000.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Anyone ever use a factory dash mounted tach? Perhaps making it into a pod style? A buddy gave me an old 914 tach to try, but its huge and would be impractical. I think the 924 tach is smaller, but have no idea if it could be made to work (just curious...I'll likely just buy a VDO Cockpit series)

H2OSB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

I had a prolight automeeter,I think that was the name...(aluminum) but I never got around to installing it so I just used my ears.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Hey All

VDO gauges appear in a heard of vehicles. I elected to use 914 gauges including the tach and a speedometer with a trip OD. The Tach is the same diameter as the original VW VDO speedo. I wanted to include the aux gauge with the fuel and temp gauge, requiring a replacement panel for the dash.

Also put the Volt, oil pressure, and oil temp in the radio opening, using a VW radio trim panel to hold the gauges.

Not for everyone, but it's all matching style VDO

Scott

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hey All

VDO gauges appear in a heard of vehicles. I elected to use 914 gauges including the tach and a speedometer with a trip OD. The Tach is the same diameter as the original VW VDO speedo. I wanted to include the aux gauge with the fuel and temp gauge, requiring a replacement panel for the dash.

Also put the Volt, oil pressure, and oil temp in the radio opening, using a VW radio trim panel to hold the gauges.

Scott

I really wish I could do this but I'm limited by the curve window Super Beetle dash. If I ever decide to use an aftermarket dash that what I'll use. Do you find you have any issues with the 914 tach? I heard, as they age they get "lazy" If you did, what method did you use to correct it, if at all?

H2OSB
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Mini VDO gauge set.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hey All

Scott

Starting to look like a plane cockpit there my dude.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I did some research and decided on Auto Meter. I'm happy with my purchase.

https://www.autometer.com/2-tach-5-000-rpm-in-dash-z-series.html

I almost went with the autometer. I like the look and the 5k range is perfect.

I ended up getting the 4k 52mm VDO because I wanted it to look stock.
My 74 Suoper has a max hp at 4000 rpm, so I decided I could live with it.
It should help me when tuning the engine since I can distinguish 8 or 900 rpm where many of the 7k plus tachs are not suitable,

I mounted it and a 52mm VDO clock in a 2 pod under the dash where my A/C controls used to be.

I'll try to remember to post a pic soon.

PS before I bought the $118 VDO, I bought a $15 POS digital one that wasn't worth a penny.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone using for a tachometer? Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:

All my gauges are ETB Instruments

NICE!

That is a really clean and vintage look.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: