Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake switches
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Brake switches Reply with quote

I try to keep my 63 ghia as stock as possible but concerning the brakes i mounted a double circuit brake system and a cilinder I had still lying around.
Everything is mounted but one of the 3 sprong electrical connections of one of the brake switches broke off.
As I don't have a warning light anyway I 'd like to use only the good switch and wire it as a 2 sprong. .I'd like to leave the faulty one unconnected.
Will this work?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake switches Reply with quote

Yes.
The stock dual circuit harness is simply parallel wired so you should have no issue.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brake switches Reply with quote

Great ,thanks Jeffrey
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake switches Reply with quote

You can also use the 2-prong switches on the dual circuit master cylinder. That's what was done in '67, the first year for the dual circuit before a warning light was added. The parallel redundancy in the wiring is just for safety in case one of the switches stops working, which can happen especially if you're using the non-german cheapo ones.

FWIW, when I start assembling my car (if I ever get it back from the paint and body shop!), I'll be using this so that the brake lights come on immediately. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

Even with the German hydraulic switches, there needs to be more pedal movement than you sometimes actually use in some light braking situations for the brake lights to come on.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake switches Reply with quote

I did this myself, and have to say it works perfectly. The slightest touch of the pedal, you get a very small click as a feedback, and the brake lights are instantly on Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brake switches Reply with quote

Ok ,good to know ,just in case...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: