Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon values at an all-time high?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

I've had my current westy for around 7 years. I owned my previous westy for around 5 years. Van values have always been climbing (largely due to supply/demand)--at certain periods appreciating faster than other times.

I recently read a comment from somebody about how Syncro values have spiked drastically as of late, but it appears to me that ALL Vanagons have spiked in value over the past few months.

...Try finding a decent late model westy for under $20K. It's tough!

As said with real estate, "asking" prices don't necessarily reflect market value. Just wanting to get a feel for what others are seeing in the market. Wink
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Agreed. I do wish we could understand what things really sell for. Due to covid and the increased demand, I see vans/RVs coming out of the woodwork and asking crazy prices. It will be interesting if/when we will see a slope down with the increased overall van inventory. Of course, those that want a Vanagon, well, will buy a Vanagon.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

I have some friends in the other platforms- sportsmobiles, sprinters, watch me cobble together this cargo van into a mobile log cabins, etc- and it's the same across all platforms. The covid-outdoors boom combined with people not wanting to fly needing other means to travel has driven prices up across the board.

Friend went to buy a used E150 cargo van to build out. When he tried to negotiate on price, the salesperson said not going to happen, I have three other people in line.

New normal? Remains to be seen.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

after the first vacation ruining breakdown, the prices will drop. the normal will return next fall. there will be a glut of gently used sprinter 4x4's if what i've seen happening continues. a 2 week trip with the kids sounds great on paper, but in practice, hahaha not so much.

BiWerks Design, LLC
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Syncro prices have normalized after the Go Westy influenced highs 8 years ago.

You may see syncros listed for 60-80k but they sit around for a long time and who knows what they actually sell for.

If I had to buy in at that cost NFW would I buy a syncro when thats the same price as a 4x4 sprinter or AWD transit.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Pretty much all desireable used cars across the spectrum are priced high currently. Try finding a decent 15 year old 4runner with low miles for under $12k. Let alone any sort of camper van of any make/model. The vanlife thing has switched to overland life. With the current state of things, people are into the outdoors more than ever, and the vehicles to get them there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Ive had four walkup and three paste on offers for my T4, all above my purchase price, this summer.

...and its not even a Bus.

It did take me take out the spare key and lock it for the first time.
slownsteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Check out the following for actual sold prices:

https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/vanagon/
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Ive had four walkup and three paste on offers for my T4, all above my purchase price, this summer.

...and its not even a Bus.

It did take me take out the spare key and lock it for the first time.

I had a few "want to sell?" notes on my Westy, but I've never gotten one on my Syncro.

Nobody wants it and I like it that way. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

The Very Nice Westys are going up,
However, the neglected, rusted, and average
are also floating up like turds in a pond.

Exceptionally well cared for lo-mile Westys
are getting Very Difficult to find.

If you are buying, have an experienced Westy owner
help you when you're looking.
And pay $200-$300 for a pre-purchase inspection
with a old school experienced VW wasserboxer mechanic!

Your $10,000 Westy is going to end up costing $25,000.
and you will be stranded/frustrated/anxious in the meantime.

Vanagons are like small airplanes. Rebuild, Restore, and Enjoy!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:

Your $10,000 Westy is going to end up costing $25,000.

All 2wd Westys will cost $25,000 eventually to be reliable on the road - and after that expect to spend another $1000 a year on more gifts to the Van God. Wink Those extras won't add to the resale value - but if you are owning a Westy with that in mind perhaps it's not for you anyway. Razz
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

I sold my first Westy in 2008. I was on the fence about selling so I listed it really high so I wouldn’t be upset when it sold. It was a really nice 86 weekender and sold quicker than I thought for the insanely high price around $11,000. Laughing

Prices have just gone up. Who knows where they will top out. Now I’ve got a really nice low mile Westy and my I don’t want to sell number is closer to $30k. Funny how things change. I’d also be happy to still be driving this thing in 20 years.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

I paid about about $12k for mine in 2010. I recently had the time to tally up the bills. Including purchase price, I'm into mine for around $30k which includes rebuilt engine and tranny, all new... well shoot, almost all of it except CVs and some suspension bushings. I've taken it on three 1000+ mile trips and countless short weekend trips without issue (after $10k of catchup money was spent).

I don't expect to sell it but if I needed to, I think $27k would be a fair asking price and $25k would be my floor. If someone offered me $45k it would be out the door tomorrow (after I researched the prices divorce lawyers charge because that would be the REAL cost. Wifey loves the van).

I feel like BAT bidders aren't so interested in useable Westies as they are SINKAs, DOKAs, low mileage specimens, and (not really that surprising) air cooled Vanagons. Those buyers seem to be more interested in the "collector" market more than the "camp in it" market. That's super cool and I understand it. But I don't think I'd ever list my Westy on BAT.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

A $25K - $35K Vanagon is dirt cheap compared to a $50K 2WD Transit Cargo van that needs a min. of $20K of camping gear or a $120K Sprinter Revel.

The only thing cheaper than a $25K Vanagon is a ragged class C motorhome or 80s conversion van.

Vanagons are cheap.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Nice Westies will keep going up in price. If you think they're high now, wait another 10 or 20 years. They will be almost as iconic as A/C's and all the junkers will be gone. They will still be used in ads that depict what camping is, and people will still want them. Of course they may all be converted to EV by then.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Nice Westies will keep going up in price. If you think they're high now, wait another 10 or 20 years. They will be almost as iconic as A/C's and all the junkers will be gone. They will still be used in ads that depict what camping is and people will still want them. Of course they may all be converted to EV by then.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
A $25K - $35K Vanagon is dirt cheap compared to a $50K 2WD Transit Cargo van that needs a min. of.

Yeah but a good handyman (many of which have been rolling in stripped down Transits and Sprinters for years now) can build the heck out of a shell for way less. Shoot, I'm just OK at woodworking and sometimes daydream about my ultimate build on a different vehicle. But alas, I'm a VW guy.

Point being, I think we're about to see A LOT of really innovative DIY small vehicle-based camping machines. And like everything else in the world, the camping / travelling scene is going to change in really noticeable ways.

Once those decked out Transits flood the market, why would anyone buy a Westy unless they were a VW geek (there's not really that many of us in the grand scheme of people looking to get outside)?

I think right now we're an enthusiast and (less so) user/camper market. The market will trend more and more to the collector market. So, less mods, better condition, will be where you want to look if you're looking for resale.

I'm glad mine has tons of scratches and a ridiculous dent in between the windshield wipers. They make the "hey what's over here" drives way more fun.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

A friend is looking to buy a camper van.
She is from L.A. (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Attracted to newish $$$$$ van conversions with bling bling.

She hates Westys.
Ick, it's old. Ohh, there's no airbag. What's that smell?

A gentle reminder from me that vanagons are 'fun' to drive,
fit into small parking spaces, and everyday practical.

I considered a Sprinter high top until I drove one.
Seriously Big Ass Vehicle, and the floor is way up there.

I'll stick with traveling light and enjoying the ride
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

Yeah until you try to drive your Sprinter into a garage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon values at an all-time high? Reply with quote

I got offered $1500 for my '91 Multivan back around 1994-95. The guy seemed shocked I wouldn't take his offer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: