Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible windows
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Convertible windows Reply with quote

So I'm in the process of refurbishing the window assemblies on the '65 vert. After nearly a whole day of frustration(and some drilling!) my dad and I were finally able to remove the passenger side. The top screw that retains the vent window was completely rusted and had to be drilled out. Thankfully, we were able to retain the threads(extremely lucky!) However, the bottom nut at the runner(13mm) is completely frozen and I'm stumped on how to remove it without damaging the vent window frame. We tried to persuade it off with two nuts but no luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, the driver window lifted right out without having to disassemble anything and was completely detached from the window lift channel. Which leads me to ask, how does the window attach to the lift channel? Is it press fit in there or an adhesive? The passenger window came out with lift channel attached.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Its been a while, and I had a 67 vert.
Second ? first. My 67 had a type of pin fitting at the bottom of the glass and then small .. like 12mm by 10mm white plastic rectangular washers would "slide" in those two oblong doughnut "holes" on the window regulator. It may not be surprising that the plastic washers are gone and rotted away.
And, that would be the way to take the glass in/out of the door. You would affix the metal bar/slide to the window regulator with some 3m weather-strip adhesive. Be accurate, that stuff sticks when you use it. So, corr. it's not supposed to come off the regulator.
I am having a hard time "seeing" the wind wing issue. you may need to drill that out "small" and tap it. Or, weld in a new threaded sleeve on that fitting. Fun! (not really) just part of a 50 yr old car. Good luck and hope someone can pic up after me.
At worst, you can contact Chuck's VW in VA (verts "only") met him a long time ago before he moved to VA.. nice+helpful
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

They make 'refresh' kits that I'll likely buy for the regulator: https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/model...r-kit.html
I'm still not sure how to attach/detach the window from the lift channel but also the chrome trim around the window since the chrome trim is pitted and needs repairing/replacement. I saw that you can buy new rubber for the lift channel so it's possible.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Those captive weld-in nuts are available through numerous VW parts sellers. I'd try my best to cut that part free of the frame and attach the bolt to a new nut. Now whether you can remove all the rust away and re-weld is up to your talent level. But that bolt looks rust-welded in there forever.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Those captive weld-in nuts are available through numerous VW parts sellers. I'd try my best to cut that part free of the frame and attach the bolt to a new nut. Now whether you can remove all the rust away and re-weld is up to your talent level. But that bolt looks rust-welded in there forever.

I know, it looks like it will never come out. I thought about drilling a smaller hole in the center and using an 'easy-out' to try and back the threads out but I'm not sure. Where would you cut?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Have you tried some heat on those rusty nutz ?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

I'm looking to remove my vent window frame on my 63 vert. 1. I wonder if I have the same problem. The chrome screw head at the horizontal base of the vent frame just behind the pivot goes round and round. I do not know how I will get this out. Drill? Is this what you are talking about? 2. Does this screw hold the vent window in, in addition to the the two screws in the jam? 3. Will I be able to get the vent window out without taking out the big window? It's only the vent frame that needs to be rechromed.
Thanks
Jeff
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Have you tried some heat on those rusty nutz ?

I'll throw some heat on deez nutz Laughing
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

hale6968 wrote:
I'm looking to remove my vent window frame on my 63 vert. 1. I wonder if I have the same problem. The chrome screw head at the horizontal base of the vent frame just behind the pivot goes round and round. I do not know how I will get this out. Drill? Is this what you are talking about? 2. Does this screw hold the vent window in, in addition to the the two screws in the jam? 3. Will I be able to get the vent window out without taking out the big window? It's only the vent frame that needs to be rechromed.
Thanks
Jeff

Yes I had the same problem. The screw just kept turning and turning. There's a square nut inside the captive joint that might be spinning. We had to drill on both the driver and passenger side since it was so rusty. You'll want to make sure the bit is smaller than the screw although I'm sure there's a better way to do this. Possibly use a skinny flathead screwdriver to wedge the square nut?

I believe the order in which everything is removed is vent frame(top screw and two 10mm door hinge bolts), bottom 13mm nut(usually rusted), slide lift channel towards front of vehicle so that the square nylon washers can clear and then remove the window, and finally remove the regulator assembly.

I found this thread by djkeev to be helpful:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

and also jhicken's post at the end of this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247999&highlight=regulator
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Guys with issues with those windows I dealt with them a few yrs past, it just takes patients, ingenuity, finess, and an assortment of tools, and some heat...good source for replacement flat steel screws,square nutz, check out mcmaster online..
Good luck...its a bitch.!!!

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Anyone know if the windows are ‘press fit’ into the lift channel? As well as the chrome trim around the window? If so can I attempt this by myself or take it to someone?
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

bump
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

Its time to buy a Bentley manual...a wealth of useful information, that answers most of your questions.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible windows Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Its time to buy a Bentley manual...a wealth of useful information, that answers most of your questions.

I do. I have this one: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Workshop-Repair-Manual-p/v165.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: