Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent control lever knob casting
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While restoring my own vent control unit, I figured since the lever are out id take molds of them. And Ive been practicing casting these knobs with moderate and irregular success. I know many can use them as they get brittle and are impossible to find since the plastic was cast onto the metal lever.
Not perfect but getting there,,

Taking the original out without hangups.

Casting bare arms.

Color looks good, but air bubbles seen so ill grind them off try again tomorrow..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Best ones today..

they seem to be constantly strait on the bar & the resin now wraps all the way around the metal each time. Just
need to now aim for no air bubbles when mixing the resin, tough because of such a rapid set time. I think if i work on a hotplate and use hair dryer i could get a consistent mix & pour.
They still look and feel very close to original..especially after polishing out the plastic.

Grind em off and try again..
the original levers bend in the metal is how its held in the mold strait, so its not like i can just use any metal tab..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

How interesting. Nice work. I'm impressed.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Fun project. Have you considered finishing with filler and then paint?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

The resin is just a perfect ivory color and plastic sheen once polished. I can get it right..
My objective is to use only original arms and cast just what was lost to maintain how it was originally, maybe even fill broken chips or parts in existing knobs.
But ill get the cast right, & the finish will be as it should..

Eventually i can use wax levers which can melt out later, but first things first.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

61karmann wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

The resin is just a perfect ivory color and plastic sheen once polished. I can get it right..
My objective is to use only original arms and cast just what was lost to maintain how it was originally, maybe even fill broken chips or parts in existing knobs.
But ill get the cast right, & the finish will be as it should..

Eventually i can use wax levers which can melt out later, but first things first.

I kinda figured you wanted the resin finish Embarassed
During my re-assembly i spent months searching, went to 5-6 swap meets looking for a clean replacement set, I had to have the ones with the original blue dots. I eventually found them. Enjoy the journey.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

[quote="c21darrel"][quote="61karmann"]
c21darrel wrote:

I kinda figured you wanted the resin finish Embarassed
During my re-assembly i spent months searching, went to 5-6 swap meets looking for a clean replacement set, I had to have the ones with the original blue dots.

Yes those blue dots are stock for all ghias 1963 and later, to my knowledge. The ivory blank ones are for 58-62.

Same with the ghia only heater knob with the red dot. That knob has no red dot 62 and earlier.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Casting new knobs on the old levers is a great idea! You could also use a vacuum pump to pull the bubbles out. I have a food saver vacuum sealer with an attachment that would likely work great (don't know if the wife would approve though Shocked )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
You could also use a vacuum pump to pull the bubbles out. (don't know if the wife would approve though Shocked )

Yes I like that thanks, if heating them up won't work Ill get a small pump! Everything else seemingly okay,
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Ok so i heated the resin up beforehand and all throughout the process even the mold remained very warm. No altering effects. Bubbles still

Minute 1-4 the resin is clear and bubbleless. Minute 4-6 the resin bubbles & turns white then hardens, so vibration or a heatgun during that will only mess the casting up.

I believe Loren is right, but I think i need pressure not vacuum since forcing bubbles that seem to continually form to the top seems i may still freeze them in there. This resin is super rapid setting in comparison to others. ill try getting a pressure pot..

Water contamination also has these effects, but believe me i am very careful not to introduce any.

I did find correct 2mm thick wax to use as the lever arms. Now i can melt the wax out and have a rectangle cavity ready to glue on some arms..

61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Bad casting but gettting there
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Also does anyone know why the steel control lines are copper plated? Can be sanded off,& are magnetic. But why is the outside copper? They dont carry electricity.. do they help ground somehow? Usually vw would zinc plate parts like this.. always seemed odd to me.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Not the same knob, or the same ivory resin, but an example of using a nice original to make a mold & bring back to life unusable rare knobs. I like the clear for the ones with neat cracks..

Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

A lot of work doing the casting you have done👍.
Since those ghia shifting knobs doesn’t exist as a repro
I also decided to make my own. Turned out ok.
As you can see I did a little modification

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

15 ish years ago Gary at Brezelworks used to cast Ghia knobs, and other VW/Porsche knobs too. They looked great in his ads. I kick myself for not buying a set at the time and it doesn't look like he makes knobs anymore. I don't think he has visited the Samba in the past three years either.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

With a pressure pot, the bubbles are easily controlled and the castings come out pretty great. The only issue is the knobs are best cast onto the original arms, so its not as if i can make very many extras, but feel its a great way to maintain what's original instead of buying a new part.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Man this is super impressive, nice work! I had looked into casting knobs several years ago. I build custom pro audio equipment, and there are some highly desirable vintage audio knobs that no one reproduces. I tried it, but I don't have the patience, or the time really to do it at the scale I'd need.
That being said, KGPR does reproduce these vent lever arms Wink

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent control lever knob casting Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, i feel like the pressure pot really made a huge difference for me. It took a while to get back to this project but it was on my mind. And yes i know they are reproduced now, but the blue dot is only for 63 and later, and that dot has an indentation i dont like. I suppose one can turn them around for it to be correct for earlier years.
Haha i started this project before they even reproduced them.. i took too long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: