Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moto meter gas gauge
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donny273
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Moto meter gas gauge Reply with quote

Does anyone know a source for a sending unit that will work with a 6 volt moto meter gas gauge? Oil pressure as well. Thank you
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Moto meter gas gauge Reply with quote

You results may vary- but when my Motometer fuel gauge was working this VDO sender DID work with it --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NBE5Z2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1<---. It doesn't seem to have the low fuel warning circuit for the light that took the place of the AMP meter part of the 3-in-1 gauge.
I have found that these OLD gauges do seem to have been fine-tuned/ paired with senders when they were new. Either that or the specs are just trashed from being sold old. You'll find one gauge works decent with a 10-90ohm range and another will need like 40-170 range. So you may have to tweak things, add a resistor in the line or something.
Nice thing about that sender though is that you can mount it in the filler neck and its very height adjustable.

For the temp sender...good luck. I haven't found anywhere that sells one outright that I think works. Best way to use your old gauge - that I know of- is to get a little decade box setup and calculate the resistance that it operates within then find a thermistor / sensor that works in the same range.
I had it figured out for my 3-in-1 gauge but the gauge itself is so unreliable that it really doesn't show any reliable reading. One day 'warm' reads normal on the gauge and the day a 'warm' engine will peg the gauge. Or maybe it wont work at all.

Took me a month of work to get it working decent then the 2nd day the fuel gauge read funny and I tapped on the gauge and it just totally died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donny273
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Moto meter gas gauge Reply with quote

Great information. Thank you so very much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: