Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bug front leans to one side.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

Right front side of 67 bug front end leans one inch down on only that side. All other wheels are the same measurement from the ground to a edge. Shock is very good and no visible broken parts. What could it be? Tires are all inflated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

Broken torsion leaves, trailing arms are sticking in the beam, or the ball joints on that side are binding.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

Aftermarket fender?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

No I have had the car for 30 years. Never done this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Broken torsion leaves, trailing arms are sticking in the beam, or the ball joints on that side are binding.

I will check but I see nothing. By the way, I have never had the rear torsion bar rubber seals done. Should I go ahead and do this asap?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

The rear is more likely to sag side to side more than the front. If say the right front is higher it can be because the left rear is sagging.

Just to be sure you might try parking it on level ground and measure each corner the same way. This method rules out tire pressure......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Record, compare and relate the measurements.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

the back measurements are the same on each side, the right front is 1.2 inches lower than the front left. You can visibly see it from the front view. Never seen this on my car before. The bug has over 400,000 on it but runs like a clock with great maintenance and care. I guess the front and rear torsion bars need to be looked at.

Ball joints replaced 7 years ago and a new steering dampner but that is it for the front. All 4 shocks replaced after 30 years with new Bilsteins last year.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bug front leans to one side. Reply with quote

I read where you owned this 30 yrs.

Mine was leaning one way or the other and I measured all different way and I was coming up with different measurements the more I was measuring. It was driving me crazy. I parked on level pavement and crawled under the car and measured the same spots on the pan left to right front to back. It was within a 1/4". I learned to live with it and I finally don't see it anymore.....
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: