Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inlet Manifold gaskets woes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Evening all

I’ve got a 2110 with cb 044 ultra mag heads and idas on scat tracs, it has an appetite for blowing inlet manifold gaskets (head to Manifold) I use the fibre gaskets which I match the ports and torque the manifolds down to 16 lbs ft with flanged m8 nuts. It’s not a difficult job I know but it is getting rather tedious Rolling Eyes

Never had this issue when I had the old drd heads with 44’s on CSP manifolds, used the same gaskets, hardware and torque setting. Scratching my head a bit now... Confused is it down to poor quality gaskets? The lack of material between the inlet port? Would a sealant be better? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Blown out? Or sucked in?

Blown out would be rather strange. But things happen.
Perhaps the intake valves are a little tight. Or your jetted o the lean side of things.

Sucked in. Are you sure that the manifold base is flat and true?

You can use Locktite 518 sealant in place of the gaskets.
But the head and intake manifold mating surfaces need to be flat, to get the sealant to work correctly.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Blown out? Or sucked in?

Blown out would be rather strange. But things happen.
Perhaps the intake valves are a little tight. Or your jetted o the lean side of things.

Sucked in. Are you sure that the manifold base is flat and true?

But the head and intake manifold mating surfaces need to be flat, to get the sealant to work correctly.

Sucked in, Lash and jetting are spot on. The Manifolds are a few years old and used before I brought them so it’s a good possibility that it’s not perfectly flat. That’s something I will look into further

Thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

I have a recent pair of JayCee intake manifolds.

I flattened the mating surfaces with a belt sander. Just to make sure that the mating surfaces are in good nik! Smile

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have a recent pair of JayCee intake manifolds.

I flattened the mating surfaces with a belt sander. Just to make sure that the mating surfaces are in good nik! Smile

^^^^^
THIS

Also make sure the top of the "ears" that the fastening nuts hold against are parallel and flat. Otherwise you can have uneven torque on the studs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Make sure the manifold will bolt on flat with no gasket......not hanging up on some edge or another. No "rocking"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

My manifolds hung up on the top cylinder tin. Had to trim it back a wee bit in a couple places.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

All the tips mentioned above about the manifolds being flat and easy on and off without interference and spread a small amount of loctite 518 on the bottom of the manifold with your finger and install (no gasket/no leak).
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

I use a flat piece of thick glass ,In my case a oven window from a scraped stove,spare bug windows work well and a sheet of coarser grit wet and dry sand paper .
Handy to surface all sorts of things . tops of cylinders etc .

The fibre type gaskets dry out over time and shrink , then you get and air leak , then an intake backfire from the lean mixture which blows out the gasket .

One engine I have has very small sealing surfaces , about a 1.5vmm in some places , I just use sealant no gasket after countless fibre gasket failures . The other engine has welded heads /manifolds ,good 5mm sealing surface all round , I use a fibre gasket and glue it to the manifold with a very light smear of ultra grey . I can remove the manifold and the gasket stays on the manifold to be used again .
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

zero gasket and this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

For several years now, that's what I've been using also!
Thanks for the tip MCMSCOTT!
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Thanks for your input people, I’ll have a tinker today and also order some 518

Many thanks
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

I've been using black RTV, same as my cylinders get and it holds up fine, not difficult to clean up either.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
I've been using black RTV, same as my cylinders get and it holds up fine, not difficult to clean up either.

I’ve ordered some of the loctite the others recommended. Getting the right hump with it now Rolling Eyes Laughing

If it carries on I might fuck the stroker and ida’s off and get a 1600sp Shocked Laughing Laughing
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:

I’ve ordered some of the loctite the others recommended. Getting the right hump with it now Rolling Eyes Laughing

If it carries on I might fuck the stroker and ida’s off and get a 1600sp Shocked Laughing Laughing

I'm not surprised, gaskets on ported heads aren't my cup of tea tbh.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

I would as many have said check the flatness of the manifolds. To do it properly you need an engineers flat block. Put stuarts Blue on the faces of the manifolds. Wait till it drys, then wrap some 600 paper around the flat blocks and flat the faces till the blue disapear's.. If this problem still happens, me personally would try another set of manifolds. I hope the head/seating surface is flat.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
I use the fibre gaskets

Hmm - I've always used the metal gaskets between the intake manifold and the cylinder heads. These exist for dual port. Single port heads use a simple metal/copper "ring" but the old seal must be first removed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
k@rlos wrote:
I use the fibre gaskets

Hmm - I've always used the metal gaskets between the intake manifold and the cylinder heads. These exist for dual port. Single port heads use a simple metal/copper "ring" but the old seal must be first removed.

Metal for stock heads, fiber for ported heads.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

Make sure the area on the manifold where the washers and nut"s fit is flat also. 99 percent of manifolds I see are just cast aluminium and the nut area is always ruff cast and not flat.
If the porting is big and the gaskets are thinon the edges you may also need to weld them to thicken up the thin part of the gasket.
Pics are needed
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Inlet Manifold gaskets woes Reply with quote

I’ll blue up the manifolds bases tomorrow and bolt down to see if they and the head surfaces are flat. Will check the surface where the nuts go too, my manifolds have plenty of material around the outside edge but the split between the 2 ports is quite tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: