Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 heads
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brinleydavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

Hi everyone!! Back at it after a long, unproductive winter, and back to rebuilding my type 4 for my bay! I’m reassembling now, while watching old bug me DVDs that my dad had, and everything is going smoothly!
Looking for someone that is able to give me a better idea of the condition of my valve seats.
Both heads are pretty even as far as wear goes, and I’m rebuilding this more as a fun project than a serious build. That being said, i do want to do a good enough job that I won’t be stranded with a green bus somewhere lol. Here’s some pictures, any info will help.
Also, there seems to be more wear on one side than the other, you’ll see what I mean in the pictures. Does anyone have an idea of what would be causing this? Thanks!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/quote]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

Those heads are a hand grenade ready to blow. If you try to use them you’re risking catastrophic engine failure.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Those heads are a hand grenade ready to blow. If you try to use them you’re risking catastrophic engine failure.

Those heads have already seen a catastrophic engine failure or two.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

Into the scrap pile.

New AMC castings or nothing.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

those heads on your "fun" engine would surely cut down on the fun. if you want to keep it fun, use any heads but those.
ALso, everyone on here is going to tell you to have any heads redone /looked at by a pro, and you will never get a "looks good!' run them!" unless you do an unboxing from len hoffman.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

What typically kills Type 4 heads is either the seats coming loose and wearing their way down into the soft aluminium of the heads, cracking through the spark plug hole or exhaust port, or all of the above.

If the seats are tight and there is no cracking (both unlikely) you might be able to have a shop replace the guides and the exhaust valves and get years out of them if you are only driving a couple of thousand miles a year, but if you are hoping to drive 10K miles per year, you will be back in there soon to replace them so you might as well drop the big bucks now.
BerneseMtnDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

When I unboxed my heads from Len Hoffman it felt like Christmas and they were a thing of beauty. No regrets dropping the bucks on those heads.

Steve
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

BerneseMtnDog wrote:
When I unboxed my heads from Len Hoffman it felt like Christmas and they were a thing of beauty. No regrets dropping the bucks on those heads.

Steve

sounds great! run them!
brinleydavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!! Although not the news I wanted, I figured that’s what I’d be getting back. I have one more type 4 engine sitting here that might be in better condition. I’m hoping, since new heads are so expensive! Has anyone ever heard of re seating the valve seats? Another set I have are in better condition, but the one seat is slightly popped out!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

brinleydavis wrote:
Another set I have are in better condition, but the one seat is slightly popped out!

Suck it up and let the moths out of your wallet, those heads are cooked too, spend now, or spend more later on the side of the road.

There's a few must do's on most cars, brakes and steering for example, type 4 bus owners also get a bonus "must do" on their list, and that's heads.

Idea Hint:, it's much more pleasant replacing them in your driveway than in the middle of nowhere. Idea

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

brinleydavis wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of re seating the valve seats? Another set I have are in better condition, but the one seat is slightly popped out!

You could have larger valves and matching larger seats installed, but if you are going to spend that kind of money, why spend it on old worn out heads?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 heads Reply with quote

Sure....you could make decent set of worn out heads...just like new.....but you may not be able to afford it.

You can have the cylinder seats re-machined....any cracks welded....new oversized seats installed....new studs and threads....thread inserts for the spark plug holes. You will need new oversized valve guides.

BUT....after welding and before machining and installing seats and new studs....the heads would have to be annealed. That is what makes the heads ....just like new....aside from cracks.

Not many shops around that still anneal heads except racing shops. Its not hard. You just need to have the oven and the experience/knowledge.

It may be cheaper to buy new castings. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: