Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux lighting question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

I found a couple of posts regarding not using a relay with aux lights but...

I have a pair of PIAA 05672 LED Driving Lights at 14 watts each or less than 2.5 amps draw together..

My doka had a pair of original driving lights with the switch still in the dash and seems to work, or at least I get 12 volts at the lights when turned on.

I hate to assume things but figure the original lights were more than 14 watts each, right? I'd rather do away with the PIAA harness and just connect the lights to the original wies is I can safely. It would do away with running a cable to the positive and negative terminals on the battery, plus the cables going to the realy and the included switch.

Is that a crazy idea? I don't mind going to the trouble of doing it with the PIAA cables if I have to.

What say you all.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

VW typically used Bosch driving lights, or they were a dealer add-on, and used the 50 watt, H1 halogen bulb. 28 watts total will not be a problem and i would do it with the original wiring.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

Relay, relay, relay.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

So it's 50/50.

If I go with the included harness with relay: There are 2 cables that are to go directly to the battery terminals. So I need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQY9GNH/ref=sspa_dk_d...NrPXRydWU=

Is there any reason the positive lead cannot go to the positive on the back of the fuse block and the negative the ground close to that?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

No. Just pull the power from the fat red wire which goes from the positive side of the battery to the instrument panel. You can splice in at the steering column, but need a fuse.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
No. Just pull the power from the fat red wire which goes from the positive side of the battery to the instrument panel. You can splice in at the steering column, but need a fuse.

Thanks. If I use the included relay I still need a fuse? No mention in the PIAA instructions.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

No need to splice. Look at the connections on the back of the fuse/relay housing.
I think it is the "P" blade terminals you can use.
Disconnect your battery before taking the fuse/relay housing down.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
No need to splice. Look at the connections on the back of the fuse/relay housing.

Thank you Steve.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Thank you Steve.

Your welcome. The "P" terminals are on the driver door side and there are 7 there. It's where the big fat red wire from the battery plugs into the fuse box.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
jAndrew wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Thank you Steve.

Your welcome. The "P" terminals are on the driver door side and there are 7 there. It's where the big fat red wire from the battery plugs into the fuse box.

Okay, got it. I had asked about those p terminals before and can use 1/4 inch connectors I believe.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the P connection, but it is diffulcut to access and you risk dislodging one of the 30 year old connections. No mater where you pull the power, you will need a fuse as this red wire and all the P connections are unfused, i.e. hot all the time which means the aux lights can be activated without the ignition switch being on.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Yes, you can use the P connection, but it is diffulcut to access and you risk dislodging one of the 30 year old connections. No mater where you pull the power, you will need a fuse as this red wire and all the P connections are unfused, i.e. hot all the time which means the aux lights can be activated without the ignition switch being on.

Okay, thanks. Dash is coming off for some other work, which might help. Still unclear why PIAA would say not to use a fuse and wire it up without one. Will contact them and find out why. Looks like I may just wire it the way they indicate at the battery and use the factory switch that's in the dash.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

Diagram.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux lighting question Reply with quote

To not fuse a hot feed is a very bad idea. Do not do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: