Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
ekacpuc wrote:
4340 cranks all seem about the same though.. unless you go scat then they have a groove in the mains that is nice.

My Empi one from Car Craft was grooved Cool

What size was it? My 76mm did not have the groove. Wish it did though.

84mm. I was looking at 82s with the groove as well.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice so far. It sounds like I need pretty much all new parts. I'm starting my shopping list then and I'll ask for advice on how it's looking.

New mag AS41 case
82mm Scat Volksracer crank
CB 5.4 h-beam rods
FK8 cam
Straight cut cam gears
a. Do I need these? or
b. Can I run helical?
Lifters?
a. should I use my existing lifters since they look good?
Bearings?
a. What bearings should I get? Silverline?
Heads
a. Keep my Empi GTV2 Stage 2 or
b. Buy new like CB Ultra Mag Plus? $$ Are they worth $1200 more?
CB 1.4 rockers
94mm P&C
a. Use existing AA which look good or
b. I have a new set of Mahle's?)
Empi HPMX 45mm I already have or
a. Weber 45mm or 48mm IDF's ?
Exhaust AA 1 3/4" sidewinder?
a. Does AA use thick flanges like A1?

What do you guys think?
18 GTI
Some beat up British bikes
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

You need new or reground lifters for a new cam.

Straight cuts or 36hp (semi-helical) gears

Silver line main bearings but Mahle for rod and cam bearings. Try to find ones in the red box if you can.

The flanges on my AA are 3/8" thick, real beefy

Your carbs are probably fine. I like Dellortos, and those are another option.

The heads would be a tough call for me, but then again I might try to "fix them" myself also, have new valve job done, port work, etc. Don't know if they have room for improvement or not, or basically whether the castings are quality enough where they could be reworked and it would be worth it. If you really want this engine to be the best it can be, maybe go for the CB ones. There might be more suited versions that will fit your engine and driving goals better also. If this engine is strictly street you might want ones with smaller ports (more port velocity is better at lower rpms) such as the Panchitos.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Evan. I sent an email to Greg Tims as well and he recommended his stage 2 heads for best all around drivability with an FK8 cam and 1 5/8 exhaust. I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth the money to get new heads.
18 GTI
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Thanks for your advice Evan. I sent an email to Greg Tims as well and he recommended his stage 2 heads for best all around drivability with an FK8 cam and 1 5/8 exhaust. I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth the money to get new heads.

Are you going to use the FK8 cam you already have, or buy a new one? If new, I'd give Steve Long a call and ask him what cam that he offers he recommends. He has matching lifters to go with all his cams, and he's just the coolest, most pro guy you could ever talk to.
951-273-0816
https://www.aikaneparts.com/store/p725/Steve_Long_Racing_Camshaft_XV_SERIES_108_lobe_center.html
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:

Yes, it is absolutely worth it to get new heads. Tims does great work.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I actually do need to buy a new cam because my FK8 turned out to be an FK7.

I also started shopping for a case since I know I will be needing that and it looks like they are hard to come by these days. Still searching.

I'm updating my original shopping list:
New mag AS41 case - stroker clearanced, 94mm bore and full flow
CB 5.4 h-beam rods
FK8 cam
Lifters
Straight cut cam gears - adjustable, brand?
Bearings
a. Silver Line main
b. Mahle rod and cam
Heads - 3 choices
b. CB Ultra Mag Plus or
c. Tims stage 2
CB 1.4 rockers
94mm P&C
b. I have a new set of Mahle's?
Empi HPMX 45mm I already have
Exhaust AA 1 5/8" sidewinder
18 GTI
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Your new exhaust size is a better match for your combo. My vote would be for the Tims Stage 2, mine are awesome. Instead of the K8, consider the Web 86 B (little wider power band and a quiet valve train), get it on a EP12 blank and you can use CB light weight lifters
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Your new exhaust size is a better match for your combo. My vote would be for the Tims Stage 2, mine are awesome. Instead of the K8, consider the Web 86 B (little wider power band and a quiet valve train), get it on a EP12 blank and you can use CB light weight lifters

This is my exact combo, with the AA 1-5/8 sidewinder. I have the cam advanced a bit
and it has a lot of grunt down low. EFI now but I did have 45 Dells in the past.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Hey Teeroy, the first cam I had in my seized engine was supposedly a 86b. It went flat so I didn't really get a chance to experience it. A lot of my decisions for this new engine is relying on all of you peoples experiences. I'm oblivious to lift, duration and this and that and how that relates to driving. It doesn't mean anything to me so to have all the advice on here is great. I really appreciate it.

By the way, what is a EP12 blank and how do I get one. Hahaha

ESDE, I decided I want to go FI with turbo so .....just joking. Your 45 Dell's are comparable to 48 IDF Webers. Since I can't get Dells do you recommend going 48 IDF's with this engine combo?

Thanks again
18 GTI
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

EP 12 or SC 1 identify the material the cam blanks used for most cams. If you dont use the correct hardness lifter for the cam blank used, you will end up with a flat cam or pitted lifters. I just prefer the EP 12 blank and CB light weight combo, have not had a failure with them together
ARR #3
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2233833
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the link 74 Thing. I sent an email to Dan to ask for advice. Found a new case to so I'll probably order a new Scat crank soon.
18 GTI
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Dan may have an EP-12 86b in stock. However, right now, good luck finding an EP-12 cam blank. Web only has SC-1 blanks available currently and it’s still a 6-8 week lead time.

With the SC-1 use Scat or Thorsten-Pieper lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks All for your advice,
I've had my case delivered. It was drilled for full flow but the oil inlet wasn't plugged so I'll still need some machine work. I'm thinking of getting the oil galley plugs pulled and threaded. Maybe I can get a plug machined for an oil temp sender at the same time.

I also got lucky and got a huge amount of information from Dan and have a Web 86b and CB lightweight lifters coming soon. Dan is great to talk with and so willing to share his knowledge.

I need more advice as I get ready to order more parts.
What cam gears do you all recommend for this cam?
I'm ordering a Scat crank, are Scat rods recommended?
What head studs should I be using? Chromoly?

Thanks,
Jason
18 GTI
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

I'm using stock cam gears with my 86B
ARR #3
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Thanks for all your advice so far. It sounds like I need pretty much all new parts. I'm starting my shopping list then and I'll ask for advice on how it's looking.

New mag AS41 case
CB 5.4 h-beam rods
FK8 cam
Straight cut cam gears
a. Do I need these? or
b. Can I run helical?
Lifters?
a. should I use my existing lifters since they look good?
Bearings?
a. What bearings should I get? Silverline?
Heads
b. Buy new like CB Ultra Mag Plus? $$ Are they worth $1200 more?
CB 1.4 rockers
94mm P&C
b. I have a new set of Mahle's?)
Empi HPMX 45mm I already have or
a. Weber 45mm or 48mm IDF's ?
Exhaust AA 1 3/4" sidewinder?
a. Does AA use thick flanges like A1?

What do you guys think?

I built a 2276 with an FK8 and was bored out of my mind with it, I put the FK10 in and loved it, 9.5:1 compression and an 010 distributor. That thing was fun to drive and I never had any issues with it.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

I finally have enough parts to start building my motor. Here's the revised list:

New mag AS41 case - stroker clearanced, 94mm bore and full flow
* Need to drill and tap galley plugs
* Are Hoover mods worth doing?
* Machine shop suggested to bush lifter bores. Is this needed on a new case?
82mm Empi (has oil grooves on the mains)
Empi 5.4 h-beam rods
Web 86B cam
CB 28mm light Lifters
Straight cut cam gears - Competition Engineering
Bearings
a. Silver Line main
b. Mahle rod and cam
Oil pump - 26mm GB
Heads - Tims stage 2 (will order once I have my deck height)
CB 1.4 rockers
94mm P&C - Mahle
Weber 44IDF
Exhaust AA 1 5/8" sidewinder

I just started measuring the crank main journals and bearings. I have a decent electric micrometer and caliper. 1,2 and 3 journals are all reading the same on the caliper at 2.1645. The #3 bearing for example reads anywhere from 2.1690 to 2.1650 which may be my micrometers or my technique. Is that normal tolerances? I also can feel the gap when I put the bearing on the crank, a slight wobble when I rock it side to side or up and down. Should I be able to feel any gap between bearing and journal?

Thanks,
Jason
18 GTI
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Tims stage 2 heads are good heads, They have better port relation and seat to valve relation which will give you much better overall performance, and very nice torque pattern believe it or not (That is not easily obtainable with the 42/37,5 valve combination) With the combo you list you will be in the 160-165 hp region. With the Ultra mag plus w. 44/37,5 you will not loose any noticeable amount of lower rpm driveability when you stay with short rods, but you will gain something like 10 hp from about 4000&up.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts from a non-expert... I just built a similar spec 2180 and it RIPS! Very easy to drive on the street and lug around but when you gas it she roars to life and takes off like a rocket.

I did the Hoover mods myself (atleast the main one to the case galley) myself in my garage with fairly crude tools. It worked out perfect. It's hard to "see" or experience the benefits, but I have no regrets in doing the mod. More oil flowing through the heads can only be good thing, right?

You do not need to sleeve the lifter bores for what you are doing, but some people do so for added durability/protection. A few might recommend it in this case, but I think most would agree its unneccessary here. I did not and I'm using a very similar Cam (Web #252) with 1.5 rockers.

I used that same new grooved Empi crank... Very nice quality and so cheap. So far so good.

I'm using 40x35 heads now that I hand ported and had flow tested. Next pair I do will either be 42 or 44 x 38... Something bigger. I also plan to have a custom set of 95.5 cylinders made for the next top end refresh Twisted Evil

Since building this new engine I've turned into a HP fiend. I used to thought I wanted torque low down but that idea got thrown out of the window on my first drive... I like to hear it roar! Cool I've got so much more torque than I did with my stock engine it's not even an issue.

Honestly my gearing doesn't feel ideal anymore but it still works. First gear lasts for like 2 seconds before becoming useless. Almost makes more sense for me to start in 2nd. I'm still running the 60 year old stock transmission so I haven't been driving too hard.

Sounds like a good build! Have fun
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: