Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

Hey guys.

My October 1976 VW Campmobile came with this Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit installed under dask. Serial #231-600889

There was no A/C compressor, so haven't been able to use it.

Had the bus now about 10 years and at the end of last season decided to pull it out and give me the extra leg room.

In any event, this appears to be vintage whether aftermarket or not and I'm thinking of selling it!!

Any idea how much these are worth currently (price of everything seems to be going up and I could use the money and space whether than warehousing it).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19nzSSN_GYAfpE9mUtaZ5yHfhQ0ZLtMt3?usp=sharing

Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Robb[/url]
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

Hello Robb,

till now, it look like there is a lot more missing than only the compressor!?!
Take a look at your car below the dash, below the car and possibly mounting brackets at the engine... may be there are some more useful parts?

To compare it, take a look to my NOS set:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

more photos and VW Installation Instructions at my website https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/de-airconditioner.html

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

about a year ago i think a customer paid about 500 for one just like that shipped.

so, here's the deal....

as you know, they are made of glass...VERY brittle. and they are a bit time consuming to rehab. you'd really have to want one to buy one.

they are neat units and do a pretty good job of taking the edge off. not sure i would suggest shipping one, and if you do it will have to be shipped oversized. i think shipping alone was about 160-180 if my memory serves me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

Hey rsbadura and guys.

Thanks soo much for your feedback and links. I'll be taking a look at them and take more photos and post into the link I provided.

Yes, of course it was installed, so I have hoses and brackets and all of that! I'll have to see how the hoses were connected and pull and evaporators or coils.

There's still a bunch about the bus I dont even know about after 8 years now! There is a coil under the belly. I'll have to see if one in the front or where.

I'll post and let you guys know what I come up with and when additional photos are available this week!! Smile

If I'm not going to use it, which I don't plan to....I'm better off selling it to someone that will and find a good home for it. I'll take dimensions and weight and get a better idea of shipping if goes that way. I know there is a swap meet here in May coming up. I'll have to look into that also.
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

Cool information.

Yeah, looking at the drawings and knowing what I have...I'll pull all of the hoses and condenser under the belly and everything and should be able to sell as a system minus compressor and find it a good home for someone that will use it.

Funny, but not soo funny....when I had it in for repair a few years back at Munks in Waterford, they asked me if I was going to use it and if not, would take it out for me (favor nice. didn't say to give back to me, just get rid of it for me)!! I said, no and good thing I did as I'm sure they were looking to rip me off, else why mention it. I didn't bring it in for anything related to it!

Looks like they are fairly rare and worth some $$$. Found this link to just the counsel that sold recently on ebay for like $170 USD! - https://picclick.de/VW-T2-Bulli-USA-Klimaanlage-Underdash-Air-Conditioning-184652682140.html

Thanks again for your support. Now to uninstall everything and drop some weight in the meantime!! Smile
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

i removed a 90% complete unit from a bus a couple years ago. under dash unit, hoses, condensers, everything except the compressor and brackets to mount the compressor. i was careful not to cut any wires, saved all the weird hardware, etc, etc, etc. it was in pretty good condition overall, definitely able to be salvaged and reused or good for parts.
i literally couldn't give that crap away. i was willing to sell it piece by piece or whole. i was willing to deliver to several shows and along the east coast, i was willing to ship anywhere, i dragged the parts to several vw shows for about a year. i had an ongoing ad on the samba with zero inquiries. i listed some items on ebay, again, nothing. there was one person who 'kinda, maybe' wanted the under dash unit, but in the end said no.
i *think* i sold one of the dash switches for it, maybe it was just the knobs or knob inserts, but whatever, it was clearly not worth the time and effort i had into removing it from the bus and delusionally thinking i could get the parts to people who would want the items. these people do not exist.
at the end i would have basically given any or all of it to anyone who would have wanted it.
i got tired of storing all the parts, loading and unloading it dragging it to shows, and it all got scrapped or recycled.

what an absolute and total waste of time. the parts are boat anchor / doorstop level items.

example: this ad has been running since around the same time i was parting out the one i had. notice the date of the initial listing, the quantity of stuff in the pile, as well as the price.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2213139
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

That’s $25 of scrap metal with a $300 wet dream price
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

the only thing imho that has any real value is the dash unit and the mounting hardware for it.

the hoses, condenser, condenser fans and compressors are boat anchors at this point. moderns condensers/hoses/compressors/fans are far better than those used in the kits.

unless you were doing a 100 point period correct resto (which i have barely seen in the bay world) there is no need for any of it other than the dash unit.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

k. Thanks for the feedback again guy!

I looked over the unit more thoroughly and besides the engine compressor unit....it's all there and installed now (except for the undermount unit I pulled).

I think I'm going to change gears now...since the only thing I'm missing is the compressor, it would be nice to take the rest out and reduce weight and whatnot, but time consuming as other mentioned and would have to seal holes and what not.

Since everything else is routed and mounted and since what I really wanted was the additional space and leg room as I would never be using the/a A/C unit for "driving" and is original...I'm going to keep as-is and just store the undermount unit. If/when I even sell it, I can do it with the A/C unit as a package should the next owner want to get the compressor and get all going back to original!

Thanks for your support and in supplying me with the photos, so I know how the whole system is routed and set up. I updated the photos, should anyone care to look at them, but at this point, this is what I'm going to do. Thank you.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

I'm just gonna piggyback off this thread real quick don't mind me

There's a guy near me selling the dash unit for this AC System. He was asking 500$ CAD, no one bought it (big surprise), and now just says make an offer

1- How much is just the dash unit worth? I saw the ad earlier posted for one that went for 170 usd, so close to that I suppose?

2- Nothing else is included. Where am I gonna find a compressor, tubes, condenser and all that? And how much does it cost? Is it even worth it?

The only kit I've seen for sale otherwise is the Gilmore one, is it possible to buy a NOS kit somewhere?

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

you dont want NOS. you want new, except for maybe the nice fitting unit COOL as seen above.
Skills redid one for a customer...fokker? all new stuff except for the vent unit, and he still had alot of crap to go thru to make it work, if i recall.

page 21ish https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=420
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

I'm a fool that bought a new one from my dealing in about 1986. The parts man was my friend and they got it for a promotional price.
Min was the overhead type, which in retrospect was probably a BIT easier to install. And it was STILL a lot of work with all new parts and instructions. It DID work pretty good on R12. Ma cross country summertime trips a lot nicer.
There are TWO condensor sections by the way.
To make any one work today would really make sense to use a lot more modern compressor and perhaps mount it above the fan housing. Like a Porsche 912E, btw. ALL new hoses, dryer, both condensors, flush out the EVAP, probably replace the expansion valve.
I still have mine and if I ever find the right bay window, maybe I'll do that stuff. It will probably just use the compressor from the Subaru, tho...
Okay, Skills?
If you paid a shop to do this it would be $3500+, I'd think.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

i'd offer 100-175 for a near perfect dash unit IF it was ready to mount (had brackets etc)

yes, i did fokker-100's plus a few others over the years.

neat units, no doubt but they are not all that great for full van cooling. a good overhead unit would be much better for a more even distribution of air

you'll have cold knees in a dash unit and it will take the edge off the cabin. back seat passengers still may want a window open

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

Thoughts?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2465246

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

it did fit to a Westfalia roof... Wink or do you have a tin top Westfalia?
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Products Corp. - COOL - Air Conditioning Unit Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
Thoughts?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2465246

for 75 bux i'd grab it. you'll get 20 back when you scrap the condensers.

seriously, shitcan the condensers, hoses etc and just use the evap unit. parallel flow condensers are where it's at.

you don't want to use the shitty old hoses either.

i got pissed at my local a/c hose maker and they forced me to buy my own crimper setup. i'm glad i did because i've done enough a/c installs to justify it.

for a little extra money you can get the "cadillac kit" that will do the reduced barrier hoses which are MUCH easier to route/bend and have a smaller OD which is nice.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: